Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 918596 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8670 on: January 19, 2015, 03:06:22 am »

It's also worth noting that, since the MEC itself becomes heavy cover, that means that it blocks sight range for the purposes of shooting past the MEC. If you were to park a MEC behind heavy cover, you would notice that it can't shoot at enemies past that cover, and enemies can't shoot at it, because it cannot lean around that cover like a soldier would. The same works for a MEC standing behind another MEC that is using One For All, and it also works for SHIVs in the same way. This basically allows your MECs to cover each other by not just taking hits, but denying the possibility of partner MECs receiving hits entirely. And the best part? MECs in One For All stance can still use restorative mist to heal their allies, or grenade launchers and proximity mines to control the battlefield and destroy cover.

Explosives are a different matter, of course.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: March 03, 2015, 11:34:34 am »

Well I decided that it was time to plunge back into Long War.  I realized that I was wasting a lot of time between all the projects I'm working on, and that I might as well be wasting it playing a video game than just clicking on things.

So, back into the breach.  Time to download 14i and get the latest patch...

But what is this?  Beta 15 has just popped up? 

Change Log

• More voices
  • More nationalities
  • country bonus for where you launch your first satellite
  • smaller country bonuses for subsequent satellites
  • continental bonuses tweaked
  • NSLW overhaul, can finetune pace of game and mission density
  • 7 (SEVEN!) types of MEC suit with various protection / mobility tradeoffs
  • critical wound bleedout now randomized and hidden from player
  • items can break and be repaired
  • LOTS of other smaller tweaks
  • LOTS of fixes

and this is just whats new in 15.  If you haven't played the mod before... it's a whole new game.

Still no multiplayer...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8672 on: March 03, 2015, 11:39:23 am »

Oh balls...

I thought I was done with this game but... that looks awesome

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: March 03, 2015, 11:48:49 am »

Long War itself is pretty amazing. Beta 15 so far is a blast. Can't wait for more voice packs to come out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: March 03, 2015, 11:52:26 am »

Are the voice packs actually good, then? I can't remember what version of Long War I tried out last time, but I'm gonna give this a chance. My main complaint about it is that I don't really form emotional attachments to my guys, there are so many and they die more easily. Maybe if I played for longer and got some veterans it'd feel different, but there.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: March 03, 2015, 11:57:44 am »

Are the voice packs actually good, then? I can't remember what version of Long War I tried out last time, but I'm gonna give this a chance. My main complaint about it is that I don't really form emotional attachments to my guys, there are so many and they die more easily. Maybe if I played for longer and got some veterans it'd feel different, but there.

Yeah, they're pretty good. They're fan made, so not always the best, but I haven't run into anything that's bothered me yet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:19 am »

I rather there were more maps than new voices, though. The repetitiveness of the maps was pretty much what kept me from being able to play it for very long.
Love, scriver~

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8677 on: March 03, 2015, 11:59:50 am »

Yeah, they're pretty good. They're fan made, so not always the best, but I haven't run into anything that's bothered me yet.
Apparently Firaxis helped them a bit with the settings for the audio as well.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: March 03, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »

I rather there were more maps than new voices, though. The repetitiveness of the maps was pretty much what kept me from being able to play it for very long.

How recently have you tried Long War? They randomized the start positions on a bunch of the maps, so you get a very different feel now even for maps you've played before.

It's not as good as new maps, but it does help with the repetitiveness a good bit.
Come play Mafia with us!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: March 03, 2015, 01:35:53 pm »

With any luck this cooperation is the first step to Firaxis releasing their modding tools to the Long War team.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8680 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:07 am »

Question re LW b15: when can you actually use the Commander's Choice second wave option? Is it only at the post-battle promotions report screen, or can you do it via the barracks at any time? Cos I can't seem to get it working, for some reason.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: March 05, 2015, 07:38:43 am »

Only at the barracks and deployment screens.   The post battle screen does not have the necessary left-right-arrows.  You use the arrows that normally cycle through different soldiers.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: March 05, 2015, 08:16:43 am »

Thanks, that worked. It wasn't obvious in the ingame tooltip.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:33 am »

no, I wouldn't have figured it out except that I think I saw it in the change log or in a comment in the .ini file.

Just ran into a bug where an alien went into overwatch, I suppressed him (probably with the opportunity fire perk) and then another soldier ran within the alien's LOS.  I seems to have hung waiting for the alien to take the overwatch shot (which should in turn trigger an opp-fire shot?)

not sure..

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:27 pm »

no, I wouldn't have figured it out except that I think I saw it in the change log or in a comment in the .ini file.

Just ran into a bug where an alien went into overwatch, I suppressed him (probably with the opportunity fire perk) and then another soldier ran within the alien's LOS.  I seems to have hung waiting for the alien to take the overwatch shot (which should in turn trigger an opp-fire shot?)

not sure..
If they are suppressed they shouldn't be taking overwatch shots at all IIRC. That said I have run into a thing where overwatch tries to trigger for some reason or another, but the person who's supposed to shoot never actually takes the shot. Usually after a minute or two of being in reaaaaaaalllyyy slooooooowwww mooooootiooooon it goes back to normal speed just fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 625