Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 918344 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8685 on: March 05, 2015, 02:33:43 pm »

it was stuck in some sort of loop where it zoomed in on the alien and he would do his peeking from cover animation and the suppressor would keep shooting bursts.  I could pan around, but not interact.

I alt-tabbed back and forth and tried some escape sequences (read somewhere that numpad * was supposed to escape some things) and I was able to get to other soldiers, but it refused to process an end-turn and I eventually had to kill the program.

it isnt the MOST buggy game ever, but still:  save early, save often.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: March 08, 2015, 06:34:49 am »

I continue to be frustrated by the "simplified" elements of newcom.  I'd just about gotten over the fact that you can't drop, throw, or pickup items during battle, but the lack of terrain targeting has been causing me grief. 

Six Outsiders sitting around a power core, and I know the thing is supposed to explode when shot -- but I can't target it directly :(

I toss a grenade at it, but the explosion does not seem to cause any extra damage?  None of them took more than 2, and that is about what the grenade should have done by it's self.

On the other hand, few things are more satisfying than watching an Assault take out an entire group of Chryssalids in a single round with his Close Quarters specialization.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8687 on: March 08, 2015, 06:40:39 am »

6 outsiders? So I suppose you are playing longwar?
If so, did you use a HE or an AP grenade? The latter doesn't do any environmental damage at all.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: March 08, 2015, 08:25:00 am »

Long War for sure.  Must have been an HE, because the power source was destroyed.  It just did not do any additional damage.

Honestly, I expected the entire room and other equipment to be gutted like if you had detonated a power source in OldCom.  Something of a letdown.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: March 08, 2015, 08:43:55 am »

Those power sources deal damage to all units in tiles directly adjacent to it.
I think it makes sense, it'd be hard to fly one of those UFOs into combat, if their power sources were going to blow up that spectacularly...
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: March 08, 2015, 11:09:46 am »

Didn't stop them in old XCOM  :D
The smaller UFOs were deathtraps for the aliens, the explosions would usually take out a lot of them (and a lot of the most annoying interior walls).  Of course, you lost out on a lot of loot that way.

I loved clearing UFOs but hated the tedium of clearing the surrounding areas, with all farmhouses and trees.  I always wished that there was a way to stop the aliens from fanning out into ambush positions.  Like using an Avenger, which could land within seconds of the UFO crashing down.  Of course, Avengers were best at everything, so there'd need to be some downside.

I know clearing countryside is almost the main gameplay, I just got sick of it eventually.  Clearing the actual UFOs was just more fun than fiddling with TU in corn fields, and abusing squadsight to avoid all real risk.  Bases were large too but also spooky and full of resistance, so less tedious.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:01 am »

Does anyone know if there is a way to transform live alien captives into corpses? 

I need the bodes for arts and crafts day in the foundry, but I don't have enough since I've been taking them alive to collect their weapons.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8692 on: March 11, 2015, 08:25:53 am »

Does anyone know if there is a way to transform live alien captives into corpses? 

I need the bodes for arts and crafts day in the foundry, but I don't have enough since I've been taking them alive to collect their weapons.
What kind of monster are you?!

(no, there is no way to convert them that I know of)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: March 11, 2015, 08:41:30 am »

New mod idea: Prisoner Execution
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: May 25, 2015, 11:37:25 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8695 on: May 25, 2015, 11:55:39 pm »

I know it won't be a TFTD reboot, but please be a TFTD reboot.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8696 on: May 26, 2015, 12:26:18 am »

All my yes for TFTD reboot! That's what I wanted since this one was announced and I had a laser orgasm, poi.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: May 26, 2015, 12:30:24 am »

Lasergasms aside, I wouldn't mind seeing Firaxis' take on TFTD, but if that site is anything to go by, it's more likely to be like Apocalypse.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: May 26, 2015, 12:32:22 am »

Am I missing something? How is that related to XCOM?

And if it is, it looks more like Apocalpyse.

Though I really doubt this has anything to do with XCOM.

Edit: I just checked and this was announced by 2K not Firaxis. It's probably another Bioshock clone.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: May 26, 2015, 12:34:48 am »

Mostly theorizing over the font and general graphic design, the appearance of the giant globe, the art style of the city images on the website, how a lot of the teased technology seems like the obvious followup to meld, and how if you scroll down a teensy bit one of the blurbs get hacked to say "we are still watching we are still watching we are still watching we are still watching" over and over.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:48:28 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 625