Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 917304 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7290 on: January 22, 2014, 04:35:00 pm »

I'm not seriously arguing that there's anything supernatural going on here, it's just...uncanny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: January 22, 2014, 07:12:56 pm »

"Okay, so Chiefwaffles got a code black assaulting a crashed battleship, 1/22/14. Now to add that into the database."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: January 22, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »

"Okay, so Chiefwaffles got a code black assaulting a crashed battleship, 1/22/14. Now to add that into the database."

Where I used to work, Code Black stood for Severe Weather hazard.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: January 22, 2014, 08:14:26 pm »

If you consider fiery plasma death a form of weather, this remains accurate.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7294 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »

If you consider fiery plasma death a form of weather, this remains accurate.
Do lasers also count? The most powerful enemy in the game uses a giant laser cannon.

I suppose, though, they might not fall under the weather category, due to lasers not really being the ejection of a substance but, rather, energy.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:33 pm »

Lasers are the sunlight of the burning, bloody death weather.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: January 22, 2014, 10:11:30 pm »

Special weather statement: 90% chance of Fiery Laser Death Rain

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: January 22, 2014, 10:55:20 pm »

Special weather statement: 90% chance of Fiery Laser Death Rain
Fixed :P
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: January 23, 2014, 11:10:09 am »

EDIT: Oh yeah, and to continue the phenomenon of X-Com having prescient mission names, the mission where I lost half my team and only survived thanks to a decent Run & Gun was called Operation Bloody Hero. The assault in question was even fucking injured. It knows.
I'm reasonably sure all the mission names are, as a theme, named in such a way that if anything bad were to happen the name would be apt.
Or people are good at making connections.
For instance, in my playthrough, most of the missions with religious or mystical names went horribly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:51 pm »

Attacked a big ship. Nice that I didn't have to guess which direction it was. Less nice? The couple ceyssalid packs. A rocket and a grenade took out the first group, but the second required a bit of firepower. They killed a squaddie. Remarkably, they weren't the biggest thing; that would be the sectopod. That thing was frikkin' hard to take down. On the bright side, it didn't quite kill anyone, although it darn near killed Sid Meier. After that, I was worried because the mission wasn't over...but then I saw that the remaining aliens were just a pair of sectoids wandering out by the side of the ship for some reason. I'm imagining them going out to fetch some cryssalid chow in case we were late, and then..."Hey, guys! We heard some noises, are you--OH GOD THEY KILLED KE'NII!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: January 25, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »

"Hey, guys! We heard some noises, are you--OH GOD THEY KILLED KE'NII!"

I c wut u did thar.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7301 on: January 25, 2014, 08:23:41 pm »

You're late enough in the game to encounter Sectopods, yet Chrysallids cause more problems for you? Don't plasma weapons 1-2 shot Chrysallids? You also had Sid Meier?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: January 25, 2014, 10:54:20 pm »

You're late enough in the game to encounter Sectopods, yet Chrysallids cause more problems for you? Don't plasma weapons 1-2 shot Chrysallids? You also had Sid Meier?
GWG's demonstrated he's really bad at XCOM, yeah.  Just roll with it, it's more entertaining that way.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:46 pm »

Welp, my first Enemy Within game has been brought to its crashing end, curtsey of Thin Mints. I learned a very important lesson: Regenerating bone marrow does nothing to prevent bleeding out.
No Gods, No Masters.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: January 26, 2014, 12:03:26 am »

Welp, my first Enemy Within game has been brought to its crashing end, curtsey of Thin Mints. I learned a very important lesson: Regenerating bone marrow does nothing to prevent bleeding out.

Yeah. Didn't find regenerating bone marrow to be particularly useful since it only regenerates up to max hp pre-armor and most enemies in the late game can more or less often shred off 6-8 hp in one turn. The meld could be better spent elsewhere, in my opinion.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 625