Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 911389 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8700 on: May 26, 2015, 01:39:04 am »

Mostly theorizing over the font and general graphic design, the appearance of the giant globe, the art style of the city images on the website, how a lot of the teased technology seems like the obvious followup to meld, and how if you scroll down a teensy bit one of the blurbs get hacked to say "we are still watching we are still watching we are still watching we are still watching" over and over.
There is also a shield that looks similar to the XCOM shield.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:44 am »

If they remade Terror From The Pond I would die a happy man.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: May 26, 2015, 06:51:36 am »

I thought the whale mission hinted pretty strongly at a TFTD style sequel being intended. 

That Advent advert looks more like Apocalypse cross bread with the Church of the New Epoch or something.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: May 26, 2015, 11:47:55 am »

X-COM: Enemy Below, or X-COM: Enemy Belate?
Love, scriver~

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: May 26, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »

XCOM: Enemy Without.  You just stare at the spinning hologlobe for a few hours as you gradually realize that there never was an alien invasion, after all.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: May 26, 2015, 12:23:43 pm »

X-COM: Enforcer Unknown?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: May 26, 2015, 12:31:35 pm »

XCOM: UFO Defense
They already reused the European name of XCOM 1, might as well reuse the NA name too :P

I think I'm hoping more for Apocalypse-style sequel with meld and (infested?) human intrigue, than a TFTD style.  XCOM 1 was creepy, but TFTD dialed that to 11.  I'm not sure if it could be combined with NewCOM.  I'd rather see them try to implement an open city like Apocalypse.  Surely it'll be streamlined in places again, but that's not bad, particularly if they flesh out diplomacy with the factions.

Probably wishful thinking, but I want to believe :X

X-COM: Enforcer Unknown?
HA!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: May 26, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »

It does sound a lot like what happens after all that Ethereal tech and meld hit the civilian market.

I guess the "we are still watching" being one of the hacked messages means that XCOM will be an underground resistance group. Could ADVENT be a Cult of Sirus equivalent or EXALT with another name, especially since the EXALT leader is not captured/killed during the raid on their headquarters.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: May 26, 2015, 12:39:33 pm »

I like that this thread resurrected without me needing to necromantize it.

I finally installed the damn thing after a loooot of waiting. And now I wonder where this game has been my entire life.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: May 26, 2015, 12:56:51 pm »

Mostly theorizing over the font and general graphic design, the appearance of the giant globe, the art style of the city images on the website, how a lot of the teased technology seems like the obvious followup to meld, and how if you scroll down a teensy bit one of the blurbs get hacked to say "we are still watching we are still watching we are still watching we are still watching" over and over.
Where did you see this shield?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: May 26, 2015, 01:01:37 pm »

Alarming text of people having gone missing also brings to mind alien abductions, but eeh. There are no real clues pointing towards this being a new X-COM, but man I hope it is anyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: May 26, 2015, 01:14:16 pm »

You know, for a police state, ADVENT isn't very good at keeping their site unhacked.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: May 26, 2015, 01:15:32 pm »

It does sound a lot like what happens after all that Ethereal tech and meld hit the civilian market.

I guess the "we are still watching" being one of the hacked messages means that XCOM will be an underground resistance group. Could ADVENT be a Cult of Sirus equivalent or EXALT with another name, especially since the EXALT leader is not captured/killed during the raid on their headquarters.

This seems more and more like Apocalypse+NewCOM...
The hackers emphasize abductions, and are "still watching".  ADVENT literally calls the process "Gene Therapy".
And this image really looks like a NewCOM map, with plenty of convenient cover blocks:
https://downloads.2kgames.com/adventfuture/images/en/ADVENT-CityCenters03.jpg
The humanoid figures look weird, too.  The T-poses might be because it's a pre-release screenshot.  But their clothing/armor looks a lot like XCOM's bulky style.

And this picture actually emphasizes a set of strange, clone-like figures in the background.  Possibly bald.  Too blurry to tell if they're wearing the ADVENT symbol on their torsos, or if it's a ribcage-like armor... Seems really familiar but I'm not sure from where.
https://downloads.2kgames.com/adventfuture/images/en/ADVENT-Prosper.gif
They could be Apocalypse-style hybrids, perhaps due to meld.

Also, I really really want it to be Apocalypse+Newcom :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: May 26, 2015, 01:24:25 pm »

From the hacker edit, it looks like be-riot geared cops, so it's only natural they'd look uniform.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:50 pm »

Where did you see this shield?
In the part about "We are still watching" at the very beginning. However, actually pulling up the XCOM symbol it is something different.  Still possibly a link there, but wasn't as strong as I thought.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 625