Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 917618 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #8775 on: May 27, 2015, 10:47:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure the mentioned "refugees" is one of two things. Number one is that it could be how the ADVENT guys refer to new citizens to make it seem like the world is in a horrible condition before being uplifted by them. Alternatively, it could be similar to Apocalypse - Earth is almost inhabitable except for few places, such as ADVENT cities. Hence refugees.
hype hype hype hype hype
I'd suspect the latter, myself.  That gene therapy PDF had an interesting tidbit that I thought at first was a scaling artifact, but may in fact be relevant to this.  The average life expectancy has apparently dropped by around a decade since pre-contact Earth: it's hovering at just over 60 for baseline humans.  Even today, even if you include the worst AIDS-affected nations in Africa, the world average is higher than that.  There's temple ship debris and depending on if that whole "sucking in thing" was a black hole a la Star Trek, possibly a decent influx of Hawking radiation from its sudden evaporation which might have had its own interesting effects on near-term Earth atmospheric patterns (and consequently global agriculture).  There's likely uncontrolled Cryssalids popping out of the ocean at irregular intervals, given their apparent ability to nest in whales and other maritime life.  Terror missions would have done a number on the world's infrastructure, even if they were fended off on the ground by rapid reaction teams from X-COM.  I wouldn't call it uninhabitable, but things might not exactly be rosy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:59:47 pm by Culise »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: May 28, 2015, 02:22:20 am »

Terror attacks, bombings, monsters from the sea. 

Governments falling under the sway of aliens and being liberated by special forces units.  Governments with sudden access to advanced technology, possibly leading to military coups.

I'm picturing a world turned upside down by social upheaval and civil unrest.  Probably full of petty warlords in some places, and isolationist totalitarian governments in others. 

I imagine loss of infrastructure and logistics, starvation, xenophobia, political and ethnic purges, popular pogroms.  Generally baseline human nature once the careful social contracts we have built over the last thousand years are stripped away.

Refugees, mass migrations, and megacities don't seem out of place at all.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: May 28, 2015, 03:32:35 am »

Why does all of that sound similar to Tiberium Wars? :P
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: May 28, 2015, 03:34:38 am »

Without Kane, it's nothing like Tiberium Wars. Peace Through Power!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: May 28, 2015, 04:56:58 am »

The average life expectancy has apparently dropped by around a decade since pre-contact Earth: it's hovering at just over 60 for baseline humans.  Even today, even if you include the worst AIDS-affected nations in Africa, the world average is higher than that.
Life expectancy of 60 currently (well, 2013, which is close enough) corresponds to Afghanistan, Congo and South Africa. On the bright side- we'll still have the internet.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: May 28, 2015, 05:30:16 am »

I thought that was just a crappy graph put together by Advent's marketing deptartment.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: May 28, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

And now we have a mp3 file that proclaims that "We are still here".  It also mentions refugees, so there might be some world disaster going on.
Where is this mp3 file?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: May 28, 2015, 12:42:07 pm »

On the advent site, click where it says policed 24 hours
It's FEF, not FEOF

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: May 28, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »

click where it says policed 24 hours
Ah, thanks.
Annoyingly enough it doesn't sound much like the Council spokesman even given the modulation. If it did that would have tied things up more cleanly.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: May 28, 2015, 02:04:14 pm »

If it's the FutureTM then the original council might not even be alive.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:35 pm »

Hey, your conspiracy needs some surviving chain of members. That's how secret societies work. So if it's not got some people around from the original invasion then the group must have been formed a while ago, while they were alive.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: May 28, 2015, 02:14:45 pm »

The more I look at the pictures, the more I think that it could be some kind of Syndicate reboot. Maybe tying into the Enemy Unknown/Within storyline, but it really seems more like Syndicate than XCOM.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: May 28, 2015, 02:16:38 pm »

You mean after the last time they managed to reboot Syndicate into a FPS? I don't think there's much clamour for it. I mean, the original syndicate was more like XCOM than its own reboot.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:20:19 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: May 28, 2015, 02:24:45 pm »

Well, normal Syndicate was by Bullfrog/EA (so they can't take the name), and Satellite Rein proves that there is a demand for that sort of game play. Making a "new syndicate" under the X-COM brand makes perfect sense.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: May 28, 2015, 02:45:16 pm »

The more I look at the pictures, the more I think that it could be some kind of Syndicate reboot. Maybe tying into the Enemy Unknown/Within storyline, but it really seems more like Syndicate than XCOM.

Yes, for me the streets and the city looks a lot like the old Syndicate games as well.
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 625