Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about using iPod/YouTube as alarm clock  (Read 1190 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Question about using iPod/YouTube as alarm clock
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:47:44 am »

My question is whether it is possible to make my iPod play the latest video from a certain YouTube channel at the same time every morning. Only the audio of the video is actually needed.
Or, in other words: I want to wake up listening to Rhett & Link derping around every morning.

Anyone knows an app that can do this or some other way to make it happen? I really need something to make me not fall asleep right after I wake up.

edit; moved it to the correct board.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:52:14 am by Dutchling »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about using iPod/YouTube as alarm clock
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 10:50:54 am »

I don't endorse it and I'm not sure, but I think you can download their songs. If you have it as a song I think you can use it in the standard alarm app.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:16:28 am »

No I mean a morning show they upload every day to youtube. So it's not the same track every day.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 11:32:15 am »

Android at least does have a youtube alarm, but I havent tested it. I don't know if apple has something simmilar, but its worth a check
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:08 am »

There is no such thing as an original idea.  If you've thought about it, somebody else has.  Hunt through the Apple Appstore.  I'm sure somebody has done it.  All else failing, either write the app yourself (Objective C is annoying, but usable) or use your computer instead, where this is easier to set up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:57:23 am »

None of the apps I've found with Google made the alarm use the latest video from a YouTube channel.
I've also found this somewhere:
iOS 4 doesn't allow an app to auto relaunch itself to show an video or open a link.
Which is kinda makes it impossible to do it in a good way.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »

None of the apps I've found with Google made the alarm use the latest video from a YouTube channel.
I've also found this somewhere:
iOS 4 doesn't allow an app to auto relaunch itself to show an video or open a link.
Which is kinda makes it impossible to do it in a good way.

So it can't autolaunch...you have launch it every night before going to bed and it'll already be running and waiting for the assigned time...or get hackish, and have a second program that autolaunches at the time for the sole purpose of launching the first...then it's not autolaunching to show a video or link.  It's autolaunching to run another program...which happens to be fetching a video.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »

But I'll still need the actual program which launches the latest vid of the channel, while the only apps I could find only play a video you first select. Which isn't possible as it will be uploaded when I sleep.
Time to try if Google likes me more now.