Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My tv aint workin please help.  (Read 3574 times)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My tv aint workin please help.
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:21:33 pm »

Hey I just got an old magnovox,ive recently heard they suck as a brand,anyhow when you turn it on the screen is black whith green lines horizontal and then cuts off

within 2 seconds.

Anybody know how I can fix it aside from whining to magnovox they dont care i didnt even get it from them.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My tv aint workin please help.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »

How old, what model, is everything hooked up right?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:59:40 pm »

Tried percussive maintenance?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:32 pm »

Tried percussive maintenance?
Seconded. Fixes anger issues, vents off stress symptoms, staves off depressions, keeps you healthy and occassionally revives old equipment.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:45:38 pm »

If it's a CRT, do not try percussive maintenance too far back from the screen. You could blow the vacuum tube, which would ruin the TV forever.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »

Percussive maintenance typically doesn't work on electronic devices.  If it does work, it usually means a connection somewhere is loose and you just jostled it; that is, you have bigger problems.

Percussive maintenance comes from the days of mechanical stuff, where hitting the thing occasionally knocked out something blocking a gear or pipe or would break corrosion on a moving part.  Things like that.  These days, enough is electronic that percussive maintenance is often a bad idea.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:55:23 pm »

Serial number <T117637ZERO3>

Model number <CT27ZEROMW8>

Manufacture date <MARCH,2007,Not sure what these numbers mean,<TX76C>

Its a big box tv,I heard it might have somthing to do with the capacitor not being big enough also heard it might be those little cylinder things might be loose,but I dont

know not a tv repairman.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:56:49 pm »

Percussive maintenance still works on my cell phone, so Stargrasper can be safely ignored.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 02:50:45 pm »

It's the electronics inside the TV. If I remember correctly it should be the capacitor. There was a similar sounding problem with dead pixels in the CCDs that telescopes use. Entire sections of rows wouldn't work if the capacitor didn't work. But a TV is not a CCD camera, so it may not be the same.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »

Actualy yes its the capacitor I found 2 knobs on the capacitor turned em around and got the tv working I have to adjust the knobs EVERY time I turn it on.

So ill need to get a new capacitor or just glue a screwdriver into the adjustor screw thing and just fix it evrytime I turn it on.

Tryed leaving it on forever but it made a ringing sound that I could hear from bed a room away.

I now have three tvs in my room. :D

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:59:39 am »

The ringing sound is likely from an inefficiency in the circuit. I wouldn't recommend leaving it as is. Excess electricity has a way of damaging parts over time, sometimes in a matter of seconds.

Have you tried replacing the capacitors instead? They should be pretty cheap. Just be sure that they are the same.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:33:36 pm »

Percussive maintenance fixs every thing;
door sicking, Percussive maintenance
car dont start, Percussive maintenance
heart attack, Percussive maintenance

if Percussive maintenance fails you just need to aim better or hit harder.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:35:16 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG