No Poll

For
- 0 (0%)
Serious
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 14, 2012, 06:17:21 pm

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 252

Author Topic: Mabinogi-On Steam! Close combat revamp!  (Read 357847 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Mabinogi-On Steam! Ace chef released! New life skill related hijinx!
« Reply #3555 on: May 03, 2014, 08:16:55 pm »

I'll try to remember to update it on the 10th, not a huge deal! I'll see if I can't get something lined up with ibid, might take a little bit.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: May 10, 2014, 10:57:17 am »

Just a reminder that the Double Rainbow is going on, today only.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: May 10, 2014, 11:24:11 pm »

Do you still need a giant for your G7 or whatever it was?
I'm trying to get back into Mabi and clubbing stuff to death with Ice is a good enough way to do that.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: May 11, 2014, 07:53:24 pm »

So uh... Is it still good for a newcomer to join? And if so, can someone give me a quick rundown of the game and whether it would be worth playing?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:54 am »

It's almost always good, though you won't be officially Part Of The Guild unless Ibid happens to reactivate the guild stone and either Ibid or the layabout officer accept your application to it. You can still play and talk to us over Steam/1:1 chat and do pretty much anything the guild allows you to do since there's no guild bank or anything. If you need to communicate and you're not in the guild, just friend any of us: Ibid the guildmaster, Bariaus the officer, Harukaori who's one of the few active players left, or Direzie who's me, though I don't play much.

That said, many (read: almost all) of us are on extended hiatus from playing. The guild has sort of a tide; one month there will be a whole bunch of people all playing super actively 2+ hours a day, and the next month it'll be a deserted wasteland. If I were joining up for the first time, I'd most likely wait until one of those periods of hyperactivity. Our manpower is pretty low even when active, with a number of members I could probably count on one hand. Don't worry too much if you can't get in, you aren't missing much except for my dumb jokes and other peoples' actual knowledge. There are always randoms in-game, if you're willing to hang out with them; I feel like this game has a more helpful community than the average MMO, though it might get a little weird at times.

The next active period is most likely going to be late May or early summer, since I know plenty of us have more important academic callings than playing MMOs. We're a bit weaker now that probably our two strongest members are on leave for an indefinite period of time. Can't speak for others, but I'm personally feeling a bit of the urge, though I think I'll let it sit and stew a bit so that I can enjoy it more when I do come back.

As for a rundown of the game, I'll let the layabout officer handle it since I'm not really that good at describing gameplay.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3560 on: May 12, 2014, 01:29:39 am »

Here I am!

Summary

First off, Mabinogi does things rather different then a lot of MMOs. Chief among them, and indeed what most of the mechanics revolve around, is rebirthing. For your first 100 cumulative levels, you can do it once your character has aged more then a year. Week in real time.

After that it's more then three years I believe. Three weeks in real time. Age happens every sunday, so this isn't a solid thing, but it's close enough, you'll get the hang of it. Rebirthing returns you to level 1, and makes leveling easier. Levels get you AP, which you use for skills. AP and skill ranks are retained through rebirths. In your first rebirth you probably won't be able to solo ciar (easiest non tutorial dungeon) without issues, but you will slowly gain power.

But that's not all there is to it. You'll always be rather fragile, and combat revolves around avoiding damage rather then facetanking it. For instance, countering an attack results in no damage to you, defense (the skill) greatly lowers damage, etc. Generally if you're taking triple digit damage for more then a single hit, you're probably dead. Maybe less then that early on!

Combat as a result has a rather high personal skill entry point. You'll need to learn the ropes (the topic can help with that, as well as people in game), and get windmill (an offensive skill) to rank 9 asap. Windmill is important because it functions both as a powerful AoE attack, and a defensive skill, as it knocks back enemies. At any rate, onward to more technical aspects of combat.

First off. I highly reccomend taking melee combat skills on some level. If you want to be an archer or a mage, that's fine, but have a plan for when enemies manage to close in, because they will. These plans usually involve counter/windmill. Hence, ranking melee skills. Notably windmill, again. Melee is also the easiest to learn, which is a huge help. Feel free to branch out once you've got the ropes, again, although you'll be quite a bit more deadly if you focus on a specific skill until it's capped, then moving on to another, etc. On to practical combat explanations.

An example scenario: You're in a smallish room, two goblins. One of the goblins attacks, you counter, it's almost dead! You run in to finish it... And then get punked. Rule one: Never engage an enemy on it's own terms. You want to hit them after they've hit a defensive skill, or just flat out kill them via counterattacks. Killing them before they notice you is very good too. Leading me to part two...

Another: Same situation. You manage to outright kill the first goblin before it notices you. Hooray! The second goblin however, notices you, and you fail to realize the severity of the situation one way or another and again, get whomped. Rule two: Always assume the enemy will completely maul you if you get attacked. Have defense/counter/windmill or at the very least an escape plan when an enemy comes at you. This becomes less universally true as time goes on, but it's very very true early on, which is naturally when it matters most.

And finally: Same situation, but one goblin is an archer. The first goblin attacks you and then the second goblin also aggros onto you and starts aiming a shot. You're in trouble now! This is the situation that kills a lot of people after they've got the basics down. It's called multi aggro and there's no real easy answer for it, as it is a very VERY broad problem that can occur in any number of situations. You will need to learn how to handle it, one way or the other. In the case of archers (ranged enemies tend to multiaggro the most early on), nailing them with magic, or just flat out bumrushing them is the easiest way. Once all the archers are dead, you're back to basic combat and the situation is no longer dangerous. Having friends along has obvious benefits for it, but it's still possible for everything to suddenly go to hell, so it's important to learn how to deal with it in a solo situation. This is going to be your first combat wall, and as a result I'll leave it there. You've been warned! Don't lose heart just because it kills you, because it will.

A lot.

Crafting is rather basic. Simple put in objects, recieve crafts, BUT crafted items have various statistical bonuses that make them slightly more valuble then normal gear. Not typically worth a whole lot, but if you are of a crafting persuasion, the game just has a certain magic about it that makes crafting very satisfying. I can't fully explain it. You will have to kill stuff to get some crafting items. Take note. Leather is the most notable thing. 

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:31 am »

Couple minor corrections, aging up is on Saturday at noon PST, and the cutoff for rebirths anytime may be up to 300 now. Can't remember, might be mixing KR and NA up. Stick with the conservative 100 though. Better to get there and find out you can keep rebirthing anytime than to go past the limit and be stuck.

Other than that, trust this guy. He's given quite a few speeches about starting off and game mechanics. If you have any questions, just ask us here and we'll get back to you.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: May 12, 2014, 01:42:30 am »

Looks pretty interesting! I've started playing but I'm about to get off tonight, I'll try and play some tomorrow though.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3563 on: May 12, 2014, 04:44:18 am »

Right! Don't be shy about asking questions and generally using the topic, it's nice to see it kicking around, and mabi, despite it's candy coated exterior will throw you through a wall if you don't know exactly what you're doing with it.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: May 12, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »

Do you still need a giant for your G7 or whatever it was?
I'm trying to get back into Mabi and clubbing stuff to death with Ice is a good enough way to do that.

Indeed I do.  Let me know when you’d have time.  I think I’m up to the G9 final battle where I’ll need to use the dragon support skill so once I can get the G7 Mirror Witch battle done I can finish G7, get though G8, and then finish G9.  If you’re available on weekdays then after 8 or 9 PM CDT (6 or 7 PDT) should work for me.  Otherwise we can try for something on the weekend.

Sinlessmoon, if you’d like to post your character’s name here, or PM to me, I can add to my friends list and help you out with some of the beginner stuff if you’d like.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: May 12, 2014, 09:17:10 pm »

Looks like we might need to do it on the weekend, or perhaps Friday night.
Probs about 8:00 PM EST.
You don't actually need to go through all that to use the dragon support skill on the finale, it lets you use it no matter what.
But yeah, Ill hop on this weekend and help you with that.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: May 12, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »

My IGN is just Sinlessmoon.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: May 18, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »

Currently a new Torchlight Bazaar event is going on: Official link.  Wiki link.

If anyone has any requests I can try and sang a stack or two of certain materials and send them by mail.  There are no wood boards but there are various leathers and tough string/thread.

There is also a sale on a few zoo themed pets if anyone is interested: Official Link.

Sinlessmoon, I’ve added you and sent you a few items by mail.  Just a couple of stacks of potions but it should help you early on if you’re still interested.

Hishi, I took your advice and managed to push into G11 now.  I still have the G7 mission, and G8, to do so whenever you feel like getting back to Mabi that would be great.  Also, if you’d like puppet potions I could make plenty of 500’s for you.  Just let me know and I’ll send them by mail.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

Updated! Malt, if you'd like me to remove your request thing from the topic title for any reason, let me know.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nexon announced there will be triple AP going on every week-ends until June 15th. That's 4 week-ends of the thing, enough for 2 rebirth for anyone. Furthemore, there is a new event, Lorraine's Strange Dreams going on for the next three weeks, with daily quests rewarding some seemingly very good experience and gold, some skill seals and AP. Another event is running for the next 2 weeks, but shall remain ignored as it is simply the usual WTF-were-you-thinking type of event with crappy random junk reward.

I've stayed away from Mabinogi for a few months, but might get back in soonish. I'm hoping to see a few more people active every now and then during the summer time.
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 252