No Poll

For
- 0 (0%)
Serious
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 14, 2012, 06:17:21 pm

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 252

Author Topic: Mabinogi-On Steam! Close combat revamp!  (Read 360477 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Mabinogi - Now with a B12 guild!
« Reply #360 on: July 08, 2012, 02:09:40 am »

'Saright, don't worry about it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #361 on: July 10, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »

So, the topic is falling down again (We're active in the steam chat, don't be afraid to go there for questions about the game or whathaveyou) so it's time for another bit of info. This time I'll be dissecting weapon stats and such, and helping you newer folks make a decision about what weapon to get. Because most weapons are mostly lateral upgrades, it doesn't work to just buy the more expensive weapon, often. For the record, most of this knowledge applies to melee weapons, as I'm a giant and can't use bows, and never got into magic enough for wands.

Kay, let's start off with the self explanatory, Min and Max damage. This works exactly like you'd think, but later stats interact with this stuff heavily, obviously, so keep it in mind. A broadsword has 13 min and 30 max damage.

Balance is the level of "stability" for your damage. I believe you can get, at max, 80%. This is excellent to have on high max damage weapons, as it's in essence removing a lot of the negative of having low min/high max. Upgrades can often raise this stat, and it's fairly popular, if you don't have a lot of dexterity (which is the source of "natural" balance), very good for giants and other high strength characters. A broadsword has 55% balance. Not bad at all.

Stun is the stun time per hit. This is important for chaining attacks together. If a weapon has a long stun time it's easier for you to slap a smash or a windmill on the end of a combo, thereby resulting in more damage from the combo. Really long stun times might even let you charge up a stomp (if you're a giant) or a firebolt or something after a full combo, thereby letting you do some more fancy stuff. Stun time is very useful! Unfortunately it's almost entirely tied directly to the attack speed. Slower weapons tend to stun more. It's a trade off. A broadsword has a stun time of 2.3 seconds. Not bad either.

Durability is pretty basic. It's how long the weapon lasts before you repair it. A high max durability is more resistant to having ferghus fail a repair five times in a row on your brand new 20000 gold sword. (Never repair at ferghus for anything you care even slightly about, protip. He's really cheap, but he fails a LOT.) Durability goes down when you hit things with it (not random props like boxes, only monsters or other players in PvP), and very slowly goes down just by having it equipped while you're logged in. If you're gonna be afk for a long time it'd be nice if you could put away your weapon so it doesn't lose durability for no reason. If you bless your weapon with holy water, it loses less durability in general from all sources. Repairs succeed more often, and durability loss slows down. Bless everything all the time forever.

Wound rate is how much "wounds" you cause enemies. Wounds are health that doesn't heal naturally, and are represented by black in your, or the enemy's health bar. This , barring a few gimmick bosses, isn't really that important. You can basically ignore it, although a high wound rating never hurts. The broadsword has no wound rating.

Critical hit rate is how often you crit. Basic again. If you're focusing on critical hit, this is very important as you want to be proccing those 300% damage crits as often as possible. The broadsword has a 12% critical hit rate. Not terrible but not standing out either.

Attack speed is basic, very slow, slow, medium, fast, very fast. Higher speed weapons tend to hit less hard and stun for shorter periods of time. Mostly a non issue but if you like doing fancy stuff with your skills you probably want a slow weapon. Broadsword is slow.

the amount of hits, again, directly related to speed. Lower speeds tend to hit less times. Pretty much a non issue. Broad sword is 2 hit.

So that's that. I hope it's helped you pick out a melee weapon or move to a new melee weapon or whatever. Big points are min and max damage, stun time, and balance for reference. Crit and Durability to a lesser extent.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 10, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »

Bows, Crossbows, and I think Atlatls get an extremely high wound rate.  An elven shortbow can do like 90% of its damage as pure wound.  That's significant for mid-late game dungeons, where many rooms have mobs recovering HP while you can't hit them.  They go semi-transparent and restore their health, except for wounds.  So enemies in resting rooms that are too strong to kill in one session, wound damage will carry into the next session and make it easier.

Generally only archers care about wounding.  There's only like 3 melee weapons with a wound rate, and they're all legendary super-rare.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 10, 2012, 06:53:33 pm »

My Mabinogi folder is 2.7gb

1000mb is about 1gb, and 1000gb is about 1tb
1024mb is 1gb, and 1024gb is 1tb?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 10, 2012, 06:56:38 pm »

Something like that.  It comes down to bytes though, because it's using computer-terms and those aren't perfectly rounded.  But for the most part yeah, just generalize it as 1,000 and don't think too much about it.

Coincidentally, if you want to over-think it, Wikipedia has a very long chart on information sizes and what they relate too, like "how many bytes of data are on a sheet of 12 point .5" margin printer paper?" and "the amount of data on an average credit card's magnetic swipe."

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 10, 2012, 07:00:28 pm »

Might as well add my bit of wisdom concerning weapon :P

When choosing a weapon, base stats don't matter all that much. Most regular weapons can have 5 normal upgrades (and some special ones I will not discuss here). Each weapon has it's own specifics upgrades available and have their own "optimal" upgrade paths. For example, broadswords optimal upgrade will result in a weapon with very low minimum damage, very high maximum damage, medium crit rate and low balance: making it a rather bad choice for new characters with low dexterity. The gladius, a sword with similar base stats to the broadsword, will slightly lower maximum damage, very low crit rate, but also much higher balance and minimum damage. Checking the Mabi wiki for available upgrades and optimal path will let you make the best choice according to your preference.

As for wound damage, there is 2 ways for melee characters to get decent injury (wound) rate that doesn't involve getting out of reach weapons. The first one requires a bit of luck as it relies on reforge. Reforging a piece of gear requires a tool sold in most general shop and will add a completely random bonus to the weapon/armor. Bonus could be very useful or completely useless. One such potential bonus available on weapons is wound rate. With a level 3 bonus, my current weapons do between 11-30% injury. Still can't compare with archers, but at least can be used to slowly kill regenerating mobs.

Second way takes more time and requires a lot more investment. It's using a spirit weapon. Spirit weapon are "living" weapons that grow and gain levels. Each of their stats affect a stat of the weapon itself, including injury rate. Currently have 10-36% injury rate on mine.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #366 on: July 10, 2012, 07:10:00 pm »

Also of note is that dex raises wound rate VERY slightly. Overall, if something needs wounding, leave it to the archers, or bring a javelin/bow. Or a developed spirit weapon, like Alexwazer said.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #367 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »

Now for some reasons to drop by the steam chat. Me(Mobliz), Alexwazer(Donryu), ElfEater (MaxYeskly), and Ozymandias(ozythesage), went on a run into rabbie. I was originally kind've worried about Ozy and ElfEater, because they're still fairly new to the game, and while rabbie isn't AMAZINGLY HARD it has a tendency to punish mistakes pretty brutally. We went for it anyway, because Alex is a pretty well set up dude and could easy get any huge mob under control with windmill and final hit. Luckily, that wasn't necessary.

All images courtesy of ElfEater by the way.

That image doesn't really get the idea of rabbie, the real threatening monsters are skeletons and skeletal wolves. Obviously no pictures were taken of them because they're, ya know, actually hard and threatening. :P

Max and Ozy did pretty well, max died a couple of times, but overall, given the relative difficulty of the dungeon, that was pretty damn good. Ozy also died once, but again, really nice, given my first run of rabbie I died like, 10 times or something rediculous, admittantly I was soloing it, so it was a bit different, but still, they did really nice, and, even if accidentally at times, managed to support each other pretty well.

Both max and ozy brought firewood, so we took the time to regen a bit right before the boss. The boss may be familiar to most of you...

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Yep, small army of goblins. Gold goblins to be specific, but all that means is they're slightly tougher then your average goblin. The typical strategy for this is to use ranged attacks to kill the goblin archers, then pull single goblins out one at a time, because they will gang up on you two to one, and that's really nasty for even well established players. Donryu managed to chop the army down to size with final hit, and gave the rest of the gang wiggle room to melee them, and provide some long range support.

So, the goblin army routed, who knows why they were miles underground, the gang headed off and the rest of the day was fairly uneventful.

Good times though, a group run of a dungeon is always a great time! :D

Hopefully there'll be more of these minor dungeon summaries later on, there's actually a ton of dungeon varieties. Thanks again to ElfEater for the screenshots, dunno why Irfanview didn't wanna work with it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:39 pm »

We brought the fight to the goblins, sick of them clogging our weapon traps and making a general mess of our forts.

I died near the end because I was focused on an enemy a ways away. Then when i looked there was a goblin with a windmill ready right next to me. I didn't have time to react, and since I was in a corner, nowhere to run.

Haven't gotten used to retargeting enemies, so.. that didn't help either. At the very end Elfeater was taking hits from one of the goblins, and I almost managed to save him but... not quick enough on the draw unfortunately =p

On a side note, is there a reason all of you guys can run quicker than me? =<

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:52 pm »

Giants run quicker than humans and elves run slightly quicker than giants.

Aw, I missed a dungeon!  Maybe it'd help if I got in the steam chat...

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 10, 2012, 10:26:34 pm »

Yeah, I it was a good run, I enjoyed it quite a lot, we are going to do barri sometime soon I think.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #371 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:20 pm »

Yeah, me and Don did a barri run shortly after and I found out Ogre Warriors still crack my wind guard like an eggshell, but soon.

Also managed to work out a better way to kill the suckers, although I dunno if I can solo the boss yet. Not that that'd be an issue in a party but.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 10, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »

Yeah, you could solo them easily, as long as you fight them one at a time and don't have lag spikes.

It's worth mentionning, to those that showed shortly since the last patch, that hotkeys are now fixed. They should have reverted to whatever they were before the patch, so their might be a few differences with what you've been using since, but otherwise should work fine. Hopefully they won't break them again :P

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #373 on: July 10, 2012, 11:14:28 pm »

Oh yeah, just confirmed they're working again (Rather then setting your hotkeys to a wierd not quite right setting), you just have to reset them one more time. I'll add that to the title.

EDIT: Also, I've updated the player list in the opening post. If you're not there and intend to come back and start playing, or just start playing, lemme know and I'll add you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:45:09 pm by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Mabinogi - Now with a B12 guild! - Hotkeys now working properly!
« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2012, 08:04:01 pm »

So another overview for this thing. Let's take a look at crafting skills, because a lot of newer folks are having a hard time choosing.

FIRST - The second stage crafting skills. Basically, a lot of crafting skills can be divided into things that make material for the other crafting skills (refining, weaving, etc), and ones that actually make good stuff to be used by people that aren't crafting. The following set of skills are the second.

First up, the one everyone wants to do, but eventually gives up on, Blacksmithing. Blacksmithing is, well, obvious. Making equipment. Specifically weapons and heavy armor/shields. Early ranks you can only make tools, as you rank up you can make more stuff. If you stick with this, you'll end up rich, but you've either gotta rank up refining with it, or spend an astronomical amount on buying bars. It's honestly one of the worse crafting skills, due to a variety of STUFF, but it's by no means useless. The other crafting skills it uses for some of it's stuff is refining, and weaving. (some recipes need leather straps and cloth) As a note leather only drops from monsters, because skinning animals is considered very bad in mabinogi land. It's kind've a bad excuse but it's still there.

Second, Tailoring. Tailoring makes light armor and medium armor. Light armor just being clothes. (this is actually important, some later clothes are "magical" and will fend off magic attacks, effectively removing the flinch. Annnnd an important enchant called racoon cub only goes on magical clothes, the previously mentioned flinch canceling thing.) I've noticed this gets into USEFUL recipes a lot earlier on then blacksmithing. I'm kind've shocked to the point where I want to get into tailoring instead of blacksmithing honestly. Tailoring uses weaving, and honestly not much else. Also leather. A very nice self contained skill.

Third, Cooking! Cooking is VERY important. Cooking provides temporary status boosts, and well cooked food, they can be pretty hefty. Nobody will ever argue with a good cook. You buy most of your materials so this is entirely standalone. Of note is dex can heavily effect quality due to the minigame. I'll be going over the minigames later as that'll require screenshots and shit.

Four, Potion making! Potion making is also fairly important. Not as important as some other games, since potions will really only be used in the middle of a fight, but still nice. Potions are basically a panic button, and you panic a lot in mabinogi. Uses herbalism.

Five, Campfire! This is... kind've tenuously a crafting skill but I'm usin it anyway. Campfires make you regenerate faster, and let you regenerate wounds inside of dungeons naturally without bandages (It's cold in there), and most importantly you can share food, turning one food item into one for each party member at the fire. This goes VERY VERY WELL with cooking.

That's all for now. Tomorrow I'll go over the material crafting skills and maybe the minigames. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to look into tailoring some more.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 252