No Poll

For
- 0 (0%)
Serious
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 14, 2012, 06:17:21 pm

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 252

Author Topic: Mabinogi-On Steam! Close combat revamp!  (Read 360527 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Mabinogi - Now with a B12 guild! - Crafting skill overview up.
« Reply #375 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »

I'm gonna go for tailoring. Thanks to merchant destiny, you'll only need to do half the stuff listed per skill up. That means no more trying to fail refining just to get enough point to level it past certain ranks.

Also, TAB no longer switches weapon sets. What's the new button for it?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 12, 2012, 08:48:54 pm »

Just a note that Carpentry goes in there as well.  Carpentry is the skill of producing firewood, and later bows.  For the first half of the skill levels, you can only craft firewood.  Firewood is 1x3 inventory size and stacks up to 5.  Average firewood is 1x2 inventory size and stacks up to 10.  Fine and Finest firewood also stack the same.  A campfire uses 5 firewood to build, and better campfires increase the duration of the fire as well as the enchant burn success rate (different skill for sacrificing an item to get the enchant off it).  More importantly though, at higher ranks carpenters can produce bows.  What Seriyu failed to mention is that crafted items get better stats.  Low-rank blacksmithing gets +1 min and +2 max damage, or +1 crit rate, and high balance.  Up towards the upper level of crafting, items get closer to +10 damage and, perhaps most importantly, closer to +8 durability.  I'd have to check the numbers again, it might be more or less, but either way crafted items can get much better stats than store-bought, and highly skilled craftsmanship even gets a signature attached to show who made it!  Blacksmiths can also finish their items with copper, silver, or gold, to give the finished piece a red, silver, or golden color.

But carpentry can produce bows and firewood, including extremely rare bows at higher level, and produce them with phenomenal stats.

Campfires are also very nice because you can recover wounds in a dungeon.  Normally you can heal wounds by drinking special wound potions, resting, visiting a healer, or leveling up.  But inside a dungeon, you can't go to a healer, leveling is infrequent, and potions are costly.  And resting doesn't heal wounds.  UNLESS you're at a campfire.  So it can be extremely important to have a nice fire to fully heal and eat before you face the next stage of the dungeon.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:36 pm »

Bloody... I'm in Mari :/
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2012, 10:20:44 pm »

Oh damn, I forgot carpentry made bows, whoops. I'll include it in the second half.

I'm gonna go for tailoring. Thanks to merchant destiny, you'll only need to do half the stuff listed per skill up. That means no more trying to fail refining just to get enough point to level it past certain ranks.

Also, TAB no longer switches weapon sets. What's the new button for it?

Actually it doubles the effect of each little tick mark on the list, but it has the same basic effect yes. And the new button is `. You can change it in the hotkeys section of options. What's your username in mabi? I actually don't recognize you, unless you're just wanderin around on your own. :p

Bloody... I'm in Mari :/

You can ally with the elves or giants to get a second/third charecter card, and that char can be made in Alexina, if you haven't already. And if you have, I think you can delete all your chars and wait 24 hours for it to be populated with another basic human char card, although I'm not sure of the specifics and I could understand why you wouldn't want to do that.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2012, 10:36:22 pm »

You can ally with the elves or giants to get a second/third charecter card, and that char can be made in Alexina, if you haven't already. And if you have, I think you can delete all your chars and wait 24 hours for it to be populated with another basic human char card, although I'm not sure of the specifics and I could understand why you wouldn't want to do that.

It's not the 10-12 bucks for a premium card that would put me under, it's the... several visits to the local convenience store for Nexxon cards I've already put on my Mari character. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »

I might start doing carpentry then. Gotta make myself a nice bow =)

EDIT: oh dear, just saw how long it will take/ how much AP it would take to get my carpentry up enough to make anything =o
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:23:45 pm by OzyTheSage »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2012, 11:08:17 pm »

It's not the 10-12 bucks for a premium card that would put me under, it's the... several visits to the local convenience store for Nexxon cards I've already put on my Mari character. :P

Ah, yes, I can understand that. :p

If you ever change your mind, feel free to drop by!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:46 pm »

to max a skill, it's usually 200-300+ AP. The time investment, well I'm not sure, depending on you have the destiny for the skill.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #383 on: July 13, 2012, 12:41:27 am »

Yeah, that brings up a point, mabinogi is a very slow burning game, don't get toooooo obsessed with getting way up there really fast, as long as you keep spending AP, you'll usually reach a managable state. There are ways to excel of course, like any game, but don't worry about ruining your character forever, I doubt it's possible, frankly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2012, 12:53:56 am »

Mabi makes itself unique by being a very long-term game.  You can casually play a character for years.  There's just so many combat styles and so many crafting areas, so many AP sinks that you'll run out of patience before you run out of content.  And if you ever get tired of an area, just go into another.  With no AP limit, no level cap, and no classes, this isn't a game where you can roll a character and be done in a month (looking at you, WoW) but instead you can take your existing character and keep going.  Put a few points into carpentry and regret it?  That's alright, just keep going, there's more AP to earn!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #385 on: July 13, 2012, 05:48:03 pm »

Okay, time for the second half of that crafting skill overview thingado.

First off, Carpentry, which is kind've half and half, which is my excuse for putting it in this half and not the first one. I didn't forget it made bows, no, not at all. ANyway the primary use of carpentry is to make better firewood, for use in campfires. Higher grade firewood makes higher grade campfires which heal wounds faster, which is very nice.

Second, Handicraft which uhh, isnt' a primary skill because uhhh, okay I forgot. Handicraft makes a ton of random junk, like better bandages, and better arrows, and is also used for a LOT of quest items. It can also make a load of tools for other crafting skills, like potion making, handicraft, oddly enough, etc. You can also make handmade ballista bolts for wyvern hunting, and magic powder out of small gems. Handicraft just generally makes a ton of random shit, and it's pretty useful if you want to make something useful without going through sixteen steps to do it. No one'll turn down some nice bandages, and better arrows, while typically limited in use to humans, are also nice. (Elves shoot two arrows per normal attack so 100 arrow quivers is nothing to em. They get 500 arrow quivers by default for a reason, but you can only craft handmade arrows into 100 arrow quivers, so.)

Now, we move on to the first step in the crafting process, gathering materials. Often, if you're a cheapo like me you'll take up a production skill (Like blacksmithing or tailoring) and take up the gathering skill associated with it (Like Weaving or refining).

First up, Refining. For use with blacksmithing, refining refines ores into bars. Higher ranks raises your chance to refine stuff, and the ores you can refine. NOTE: You need to fail refining for later ranks to even level up the skill, so if you're interested in it, I'd do it early to make it easier on yourself. It won't make it impossible by any means, but the longer you wait the longer later rank ups are gonna take.

Second, Weaving. For use with tailoring mostly, and a little with blacksmithing. Weaving takes wool and cobwebs and leather and such and makes them into yarn balls, leather straps, braids, silk, cloth, etc. Well known for being very irritating as it randomly picks the quality of your cloth. So if you need cheap cloth, and you get common from that 5 wool you spent several minutes running downto the sheep field for, too bad! Gotta sell it for the measly 3 GP and try again. Another note is later light armor recipes require a lot of leather, so this actually entails a lot of monster hunting. Math dungeon is a great place to find leather, but I'd bring a party if you're a rookie.

Third, Fishing. I suppose fishing could be used with mainly cooking, in hindsight. Fishing is pretty basic, you catch a fish, type is random. You can also catch various random items, although it's rarely anything too valuble. Fish are used for cooking.

That's it for skills. We'll go over the minigames for the crafting skills now. No pictures will be provided because I'm lazy, and also because none of them are terribly complicated. I've linked the wiki pages for each crafting skill, as they tend to have a picture on them.

Tailoring

You're looking at the seam of two sheets of cloth. Move the point of the needle (not the point of the square, the needle that's in the foreground "above" the square), aim it as close to the center of the X as possible, then click and hold. You can click and reclick if the thread isn't as close as you want, then drag it to the right, to the next in the line, and release. Move the mouse to the next one on the left again, hold down, to the right, release, etc. You're always aiming for the center of the X, or inside the circle. There is variance on where it'll land, and this variance will decrease as you level tailoring. The variance is the size of the box under the needle. It can be threaded into anywhere in that box. Also, side note, the reason I said tailoring gets started much earlier? Right out of the gate past novice, you can make a male magic school uniform, which has a set bonus. And not a terrible one for magic users, either! With blacksmithing, you'll be making tools no one wants for at least a single rank until you get to daggers, which very few people will want.

Blacksmithing

You look at a sheet of metal, wait for a bit for the markings to "settle" then you try to hit the markings as precisely as you can. Also, wait as long as possible, but DON'T LET THE BAR AT THE BOTTOM RUN OVER. Again, variance depends on the square, it lowers with rank ups. Much simpler and easier a minigame then tailoring. So I guess while tailoring takes no time at all to get started, the minigame means, unless you're just amazing at it out of the gate for whatever reason, you'll probably be getting worse bonuses.

Cooking(The page doesn't have a picture of the minigame, but it's easy)

Kay, each recipe has a certain amount of this ingredient, another ingredient, and a third, in certain percentages. You click and hold the add button below one ingredient, and try to make it match that percentage as much as possible. Again, variance, it lowers with dexterity, making elves, crafters, and archers excellent cooks. Go fig.

Fishing

Fishing minigame is basically, "keep the fish shadow in the box". Very basic. If you're more the afk fishing type, you can just let the game fish automatically.

Annnd there are no other minigames, unless I forgot something like before.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mabinogi - Now with a B12 guild! - Crafting skill overview part 2 up.
« Reply #386 on: July 13, 2012, 06:22:37 pm »

There's a winemaking minigame, but that's not exactly a skill.

Worth noting that Refining and Weaving are very useful to other skills as well.  Especially Weaving.  Producing bows requires string, as you might expect, which is usually made from wool, but some require silk strands, and the very good bows need "tough string" - that's made from 5x "thick string" and is a high-ranked weaving item.  So you take 25 bundles of wool, weave those into 5 thick string, and weave that into 1 tough string.  It's a high-ranked item, so it's a pain to produce.

And many weaving items are used in blacksmithing as well, with plenty of leather, leather straps, and thick string going into a lot of different recipes.  Particularly very difficult items, like "fine leather straps" which are not easy to get, much less get enough to produce many items.

Fortunately there's homestead options for weaving and blacksmithing.  Using metal plates (high rate refining) and tough string/thread (high ranked weaving) you can make your own private furnace, anvil, spinning wheel, and loom.  You can't gather ore or wool at your homestead, but you can do mining runs and then whisk away to your homestead to refine them, and you can sit out in the sheep field and whisk away to loom them.  The sheep pet may also be helpful - it's terrible at combat, but you can sheer it, and providing it with MP can increase the amount of wool you can harvest.

There's a trick too.  There's certain varieties of magic music you can play, which increase MP regen rate.  It costs stamina to play this music though.  If you make magic music that lasts for hours by using a slow tempo and full stops, then you use a tent kit you can play music infinitely.  The tent lets you restore stamina even while standing - you can play music and regain stamina faster than you lose it by playing.  So if you have two players, one can play music while the other harvests from the sheep.  Normal wool gathering is very terrible, they move around A LOT and it's a pain to gather wool.  A sheep pet would be helpful because you can make the damn thing sit still!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Mabinogi - Now with a B12 guild! - Crafting skill overview part 2 up.
« Reply #387 on: July 14, 2012, 01:40:03 am »

MORE DUNGEON RUNS. And this one's a doozy. These three rather, I guess.

The first run, a Math dungeon run, features MaxYeskly (ElfEater), Myself(Mobliz), Kyunoko(alexwazer), and ozythesage(Ozymandias). We originally set out to get some leather, as I'm working on weaving lately, and need it.

As you may notice here, Math is populated by KOBOLDS. Lots and lots of kobolds. Welsh mythology kobolds as well, not them tiny mostly harmless ones in DF. Honestly this screenshot is most of the dungeon. Kobolds main gimmick is they're... well, they're goblins, but harder. Archers will attack you while a melee guy attacks you, pretty basic stuff, although a big hurdle for a new player.

At any rate, we bash through it, as always, and prepare for the boss fight. Nothing quite as iconic this time...

Hellhounds! Currently pictured: One getting the hell kicked out of him by three people at once. The general strategy with hellhounds is offense, the only nasty nasty thing they can do to you, firebolt, has a cast time. If you keep the pressure on, you'll probably be fine.

Here is a perhaps more dignified picture of the monsters. After we'd taken out the first one, we moved on to the second. The third didn't take kindly to this, and aggroed on to me, and nailed me with a firebolt. Even through savage beast, this did a pretty nice slice of damage. MaxYeskly, threw himself into the fray, and managed to hold the third off long enough for us to finish the second, and end the third as well.

But we weren't done there, my no. We moved on to Rundal, although MaxYeskly sadly had to leave us for it Meaning it's down to Me, Kyunoko, and ozythesage. 

The gimmick of Rundal is SKELETONS. Pirate skeletons to be precise. They're not terribly hard, but later rundal difficulties can be pretty nasty.

We rest before the boss, as per usual. I lost my screenshot of the boss, but it was a cyclops. The strategy here was Kyunoko and ozy would provide ranged support from behind me, while I use windmill, an AoE attack that always knocks enemies back, regardless of passive defenses, to keep him from slipping by and killing them. I got nailed by a stomp halfway through but otherwise, went off without a hitch.

And did you think the train would end there? If you answered no, YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT!

Ya see, Kyunoko got a Rundal Basic pass in the rundal normal run. (Normal is the generic dungeon you run through when you drop a random item. Basic is a step above that.) We called in Laur for a bit of extra firepower, and it proved to be a wise decision, as Basic was pretty nasty. We all died at least once, even, a first, as far as these summaries are concerned.

Our party again. Laur is in the back, and is an elf. Now, don't reach for the torches and whatnot just yet, elves are actually very deadly and honestly probably the best race in mabinogi, unless you want to go melee. I'll go over elves and giants more in depth in the next tech update. Anyway, Rundal had a lot of one thing, and that was oddly, animal men. We had Sahugains, or however you spell that, Gnolls, of two varieties, Flying swords, and archer saguhain. Now, a little thing about multiple monster types in the same room in mabinogi. Each monster type, even if they will only single aggro you, will have one attacking a charecter at one time. So basically, in the worst case scenario, I could have a Doberman GNoll, a Pug Gnoll, a Saguhain archer, and a normal saguhain warrior on me at a single time. Thankfully it never came to this, thanks to the fantastic work by Ozymandias, who saved my ass at least once during this. Shot an enemy that had knocked me back and was moving in for the kill, and managed to kill it. Laur was also an amazing help with Crash Shot, a ranged AoE attack that packs quite a punch, and Thunder which will just murder anything nearby. Another note about this, Flying swords? They have magic. So, if you can imagine dealing with a melee creature, an arrow firing creature, and a magic creature at the same time, that's what you have to deal with here. It is not a kind place ,and I was very impressed with how Ozy handled himself. Had two deaths early on, which if I recall were mostly due to trying to get one last shot off, and missing, which happens.

We pulled through however, primarily due to all the ranged firepower we had at the time. (Kyunoko is an alt of Alexwazers that uses alchemy, which is a ranged hand cannon kinda thing, it's pretty awesome.) We moved into the enemy chamber to reveal the foulest foe we had yet to face....

AN IMMINENT CATSPLOSION. MY GOD. Also cat men. I was serious about the animal person thing. I didn't get a better picture because I was clearly too horrified to approach. Despite this, one managed to combo me and take off most of my health, leaving me to millwall duty, which was the tactic I previously described in the first rundal boss. Now, there are about 9 cat knights I believe, and most of them were taken out by Laur and Ozy, with some support from Kyunoko from the side. He managed to die at one point, but since laur and ozy were holdin off the foes well enough on their own, I snuck over and revived him. He provided supporting fire in the battle with the final cat knight, and distracted it long enough to let me prep windmill one last time, when the final barrage of arrows felled the things.

So yeah, three dungeon runs tonight. Mostly just got a shit ton of gold, but that's not a bad thing at all. Notable drops for other people were, Arish Ashuvain boots, I think they were male, and Laur managed to net a female bohemian hat. Both fine equips, particularly for laur, as the bohemian set is an archer set. She already had one, but hey.

That's that! Don't be afraid to stop by the steam chat and ask questions if you haven't yet. We're all pretty chill. And personally I'm a know it all, so I love answering questions. The link is in the OP, again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:05:33 pm by Seriyu »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mabinogi - Now with a B12 guild! - Dungeon run recaps, up!
« Reply #388 on: July 14, 2012, 02:10:00 am »

I think I tried Mabinogi back when it was in OB in the US, and again maybe... two years ago? I remember there being lag issues that made anything combat that involved anything more than trading blows impossible and, the second time, it felt very grindy and showing signs of abandonment. Would you say that things have changed since then and it's okay for a semi-casual MMOer?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Mabinogi - Now with a B12 guild! - Dungeon run recaps, up!
« Reply #389 on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:32 am »

Watching this thread keeps making me want to play Mabinogi again D:

How can I unsubscribe? T_T (looks at updated topics list) There's no way~

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 252