Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 60425 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:27 am »

We aint really discussin this actively over here any more, but if ya wanna see how the actual world in progress is going, come take a look over here, eh?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103473.msg3059708#msg3059708

So here goes. its late, but ill do my best to put it into coherant terms.
1- i make a pocket world and drop a fort in there based on the whims of some crazy ruler who probly cant take care of things very well.
2- fort dies (probly within 5-10 years)
3- i pass the save off to someone else who repeats steps 2 and 3 until the whole world is filled with abandoned forts to adventure though.

been done?

EDIT: 1-24-12 apparently not, cause here we are on 29 pages and we've got rules being worked out and mods being discussed and we're already pre-ironing out some issues with other playable races. (I KNOW, RIGHT!?) and our buddy DS has worked out a set of rules as they currently stand. Holy Fajoli, we're in for one HELLUVA thing here folks! HERE-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-HERE is the list of rules as they stand now. STRAP IN!

oh yeah, and thanks to eric blank, here ->
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
<- here is the current turn listing order.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:25:57 pm by Poindexterity »
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:27:41 am »

Been suggested, probably been attempted, don't think it's truly been done.  I'd toss my hat into that ring, as long as we got a few ground rules.  Like forts must be at least halfway entertaining to explore and not a simple dirt burrow, and restricted use of lethal weapon traps.  Like, 10x serrated adamantine disks would be overpowered for any adventurer.  10x copper short swords may be an interesting bit, not so overpowered but still something you'd want to dodge.  Atmospheric forts are a must.  Perhaps, each fort could be given a description and a few stonesense/overseer screenshots, so that adventurers can sort of get the "local lore and gossip" about what the nearby human village thinks of the crazy old decaying fortress.

I think dungeon loot is optional.  Leave it to a dwarf (and an unfair roguelike) to pit you against a dungeon and have absolutely nothing at the end.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:29:00 am »

I like this idea. Sending in wave after wave of peasants to "disable" the traps.

[In Soviet Fortress]

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:23:36 am »

Been suggested, probably been attempted, don't think it's truly been done.  I'd toss my hat into that ring, as long as we got a few ground rules.  Like forts must be at least halfway entertaining to explore and not a simple dirt burrow, and restricted use of lethal weapon traps.  Like, 10x serrated adamantine disks would be overpowered for any adventurer.  10x copper short swords may be an interesting bit, not so overpowered but still something you'd want to dodge.  Atmospheric forts are a must.  Perhaps, each fort could be given a description and a few stonesense/overseer screenshots, so that adventurers can sort of get the "local lore and gossip" about what the nearby human village thinks of the crazy old decaying fortress.

I think dungeon loot is optional.  Leave it to a dwarf (and an unfair roguelike) to pit you against a dungeon and have absolutely nothing at the end.

Sounds really interesting to me. Especially the "local lore and gossip part" - aaah, ideas... :D
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:42:24 am »

One issue with DF is the utter lack of editable notes.  You can't add a description of the area or the local gossip.  Like, if you're a human adventurer in a human town, and get directions to the crazy dwarven fort, then it won't be telling you much.  However, if the player had a file full of notepads and pictures, they could simulate the "tourist's guide to dwarven deathtraps" that would give a basic, tourist-y overview of the area, history, climate, features to look for, etc.  An interesting fort is interesting, but an interesting fort WITH a backstory and heritage, is the sort of thing people pay to see in games.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:37 am »

Succession  worlds were attempted before, such treads usually die out when someone takes save and leaves for good. Thus if you're going to be active GM it may have a chance, otherwise not.
I would take a turn as well.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:09 am »

I'm in for a turn if we're actually gonna do it, but with next release alleged within the month, I'd rather wait and see what hilarity might ensue with undiscovered features and blatant disregard to safety.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 12:02:06 pm »

It sounds cool, I would totally be interested, but I would need some instructions as I have never plopped a fort from one world into a different world. I almost never play adventure mode so I probably am severely handi crapped there too

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:11 pm »

I'll sign on to install a fortress in the world someplace.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:25 pm »

It sounds cool, I would totally be interested, but I would need some instructions as I have never plopped a fort from one world into a different world. I almost never play adventure mode so I probably am severely handi crapped there too
You wouldn't be doing that.  You can't move worlds.  This would be in the style of a succession game.  I would generate the world, and play.  I'd do a fort, and have my fort end and fall for whatever reason, hopefully in about the span of a week to keep things moving.  Then, I would put the world folder into a .zip and put it on mediafire (best hosting site I've seen).  Then you would download it, unzip it into your save folder, and run the world, starting a new fortress, sustaining, and dying, before zipping and shipping.  So, it quite heavily depends on having the previous player finish their turn, with most projects faltering once one player has gone inert and the game just stops.

Adventure mode isn't so different from fortress mode.  I mean, yes, it is, but it's still the same game.  All materials are the same and attacks are the same, so you don't suddenly become an RPG hero who can take shotguns to the face and keep going (call of duty).  You're just one wayward soul, same as any other, except you're acting weird.

In terms of Fortress-Adventure crossover, the big points to keep in mind are mainly 1: items scatter upon abandon, unless they're in a constructed container or exceedingly heavy.  A lead bin full of armor will stay put due to lead's weight.  A set of armor put on a display rack will stay put because it's on the rack.  (You can achieve this by assigning a squad to wear civilian clothes while off duty and supplying an armor rack.)  2: Adventurers cannot see traps.  At all.  Plates, weapon traps, spikes in the down position (visible when up), and all that stuff is invisible.  Or, well, it can be toggled visible or not.  Because of this, it may be polite to put special-colored floor tiles on or around traps.  Levers are still visible, and all mechanics work exactly as you'd expect.  3: Adventurer line of sight is very limited.  What your dwarves navigate blindly, your adventurer will stumble around confused.  It's very possible to build a maze by accident as you design your bedroom layouts.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »

Aye, I've thought about doing something like this before I even knew it was a popular idea. Methinks we should vote on how the world is generated, to get the most fulfilling scenario possible. It'd be silly to start right now though, what with a big new DF release hovering right around the corner.

Edit: Speaking of item scattering. It's possible to effectively disable this, by converting the fortress to a "lair" type site in DFusion (which has a "protect site from item scattering" option) or something like that. Although, I imagine this would also disable the randomly generated wandering monsters and goblin patrol routes in adventure mode (I don't know, just guessing).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:50:46 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:38 pm »

DFHack also has a lair mode.  I don't think creatures wander over sites anyways, so that won't matter.  At least, I've never been attacked on any site, only in wilderness.

While we might not start until next version, we can still plan for it now.  My suggestion would be for a relatively flat map, with a wide, perfectly flat valley for the OCD among us who demand a smooth canvas, with mountains rising to either side for good dwarven settlements and for sheer cliffs for the more creatively inclined.  Further north could be a sea and many small islands, and to the south could be a frozen glacier zone.  Sprinkle good/evil and various terrain attributes as seen fit to add more variety.  Gen with a LOT of civs and beasts, relatively short worldgen.

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »

I'm in. I'm all for building an exciting site for an adventurer to explore.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 03:07:41 pm »

With Girlinhats idea for a world, I may also be inclined to try it out.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:06 pm »

I'm all for this idea, although I would recommend a map bigger that pocket size - things might get cramped, and it'd be easier to get a good variety of embark locations.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54