Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 61205 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 03:19:20 pm »

I want in.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 03:24:51 pm »

Sounds like fun. I'd love to give it a go. Have you thought about establishing a timeframe? A week per play or something similar might work.  Although if you really want 5-10 years of game time, the next release would come out before the third player was done and i think interest might slack a bit.
Playing since 2007

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »

Sounds like fun. I'd love to give it a go. Have you thought about establishing a timeframe? A week per play or something similar might work.  Although if you really want 5-10 years of game time, the next release would come out before the third player was done and i think interest might slack a bit.
Perhaps, but it will give us something to do in the meantime.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 04:18:41 pm »

Region preferably, it's just more fun to explore a fully open world than a bunch narrowly connected island continents (at least until boats and seafaring Fun are worked in), one full-sided ocean with however many partial-side oceans is acceptable. Remove the site and population caps (they're unnecessary) and leave the embark points, mineral scarcity, and civquantity at their defaults. I'd say the end year should be around 500, that way we have big bandit camps, well-developed civilizations with history, and plenty of monsters still around. Boost the night creatures(assuming their worldgen impact has been toned down in the next release)/demons/titans/megabeasts to compensate for the fact that we'll be killing a lot of them. Quadruple (at least) the number of Good and Evil squares for more embark variety. Increase the minimum volcanoes slightly for the heck of it.

Hiding historical events is completely up to you; it would make discovering things and looking at legends in general more fun, and I think there's a way to hide history after the world's been gen'd and its history checked (or regenning the world under the same seeds after you've looked at its history). Culling unimportant historical figures is better for larger worlds, though I'm not sure if it has any effect on adventure/dwarf mode (especially with history hidden). Making cave entrances visible, not sure about that; there doesn't seem to be any way to find hidden cave entrances beyond extreme luck, but there isn't much to do in caves anyway (although... you can embark over them).

DFHack also has a lair mode.  I don't think creatures wander over sites anyways, so that won't matter.  At least, I've never been attacked on any site, only in wilderness.
I mean the creatures that spawn inside the fortress for the sake of adventure mode. I left a crippled goblin soldier at a fortress entrance; when I was leaving, I found 6 troglodytes and a pair of trolls from the nearby mine entrance beating on him. (this was after I supposedly killed everything in the mines)
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »

When this does happen, I'd like to have a turn too.
Perhaps PerfectWorld DF should be used to generate the world?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 05:10:36 pm »

Indeed perfect world would be a great method for generating the desired landscape. I would love to do this and have seriously contemplated making a world full of fortresses all on my own or even a massive dwarven metropolis (attention span too short...) I'd also vote to have at least a medium-sized world, for the sake of elbow room and diversity.

If you'd like to come to agreement on a particular landscape, I would suggest that we pass around a .png image made in mspaint or something very similar by way of the ability to accurately modify a single pixel at a time. The passing of the .png would need to be organized and at no point should it become a .jpg (to maintain perfect pixel clarity!) We could even create our own preferred settings for our prospective fortresses. I like Girlinhat's idea for starters.
Then one of us can use that to create a Perfect World file for generating the landscape.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:30:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 05:53:47 pm »

To avoid the likely end of this project when someone holds onto the file too long, why not have 2 players playing each round, the first one dead gets to pass on the official zip :)

'Hurry to meet death, lest someone else takes your place'  [13th warrior quote]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 06:37:45 pm »

Maybe a 7-14 day time limit before moving on to the next person on the list? 3-5 day minimum (post) update frequency?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 06:39:15 pm »

That's what the week limit is for.  If someone passes their 7 day period, they're skipped and the next person takes up.  Perhaps, they have 2 days to pick up the file, and if they fail to pick up then they're skipped quickly.  If they've picked up the file and don't drop it within 7 days of the last drop, then they're skipped.  Skipped players may go to the back of the line, as can recurring players I suppose.

Make caves visible, and do a lot of them.  Their positioning is such that you can easily avoid them, but it can be very fun to do an embark on one.  Most importantly, it provides a way to get underground without digging, which can make for some highly unusual fortresses.  I could imagine the sort of lore a fortress would generate being founded on a cave anyways.

Aquifers could be a player's preference, because it's possible to disable them, embark, and re-enable them, in case the next player wants an aquifer.  Some just can't handle them, and that's fine!

Also, I'll point out that my computer can semi-reliably handle 16x16 embarks, or at the very least can handle 8x8 or 8x16.  So I can go spelunking for upright fun in case someone wants a fort on one.  I can't promise to find you an upright that's by a river and a cave with clay and shallow metals, but I can promise to find you an upright in a specified biome type.  To get an upright, you need at least 2 cavern layers, from my experience.

I'd suggest a medium-shallow world, help with the FPS a little there, with slightly above-average mineral richness (ie, lower scarcity).  2 Caverns, again for FPS reasons, you don't lose anything as the caverns are compacted into fewer layers.

Should we do any mods?  For construction purposes, I'd vote to include a display case mod to show off the fun artifacts and whatnot.  Might also add a specified stone type and a method to obtain it for free.  This stone would melt at the temperature of a magma-warmed floor, so you could deconstruct a display case by running magma under it, allowing for a variety of levers or pressure plates to be used to give the item.  If you're unable to obtain magma in a suitable time for the display case deconstruction, DFHack may be utilized to apply a small amount of magma to the area, for the purpose of making an interesting dungeon.  Magma cannot be hacked in to make a trap, the ONLY legit hacking in would be for this specific use.

What graphic pack, if any?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 07:18:27 pm »

I for one wouldn't use graphics packs, and with that in mind I'd suggest using a graphics pack that either changes nothing in the raws, or uses the vanilla raws and only changes tiles used, so that simply pasting in the vanilla non-graphics pack raws produces a normal ASCII game.

That's a good idea for a mod for this I agree. Actually anything that can increase the player's ability to produce interesting traps or puzzles seems like a good idea.

Also; would you like to make an MSpaint drawing of that world you were suggesting?
I make Spellcrafts!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »

I can't MSPaint to ruin my life, or save my life.  But I can doodle and take a picture, and someone can work from there.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 07:36:06 pm »

Well, people could choose to make vault forts, but they'd need to outline them as such in their "local lore" section, so that players who aren't dirty cheaters can avoid them and do things the legit way.  Although it should be mentioned that only dwarven adventurers could utilize it, or elves, because humans are too big to wear dwarven-made armor.  In general though, we do encourage AGAINST easy vault forts.  We may allow exactly one cheap fort with a danger room and armor+weapon, to allow leisure players to enjoy mass slaughter and exploration freely, while serious players can take the good route.  But we shouldn't have free armor forts everywhere, no.

Also, for modding: Enable butchering of sentients?  Elf Skull Totems?  Disable invader clothing, so we don't get troll fur socks EVERYWHERE?

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 07:38:34 pm »

I'm using a Mac.  Are world folders platform-independent?
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 07:45:42 pm »

Head over to the community games forums and pick up a succession fort, you don't have to ask, most just put the download link on the open forums.  If it runs, then you're golden.  I suspect it will, world data is mostly a glorified text file as far as I'm aware.  It's the program itself that's more platform-tuned.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:29 pm »

As for mods I suggest you add a load of reactions so that each new player can modify them to produce what they need. Having at least five would mean players could generate more kinds of resources for free at once.

It might also be worth looking into a more advanced adventure crafting mod.

Perhaps include a generic civ that allows players to adventure as some more unusual creatures like the animal men, goblins, kobolds, etc.

Edit: With a short world gen things like dragons won't be fully grown so you might want to fix that.

I wasn't aware having fewer caverns just compressed the contents. Are you sure Girlinhat?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:11:28 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54