Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Statue of nondescript FB  (Read 3655 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Statue of nondescript FB
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:31:46 am »

So after getting my first migrant wave in a new fort I decided make some statues. After getting 3 of them depicting an ettin killing an elf I got this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pretty nondescript, don't you think? ???
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Statue of nondescript FB
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:04:29 am »

I think that's pretty normal, my dwarfs are engraving FB's everywhere. (It's the symbol of my government) But there is never any description accompanying them.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:07:06 am »

What Awessum Possum said.  I've never gotten a proper description of a forgotten beast statue/engraving/image...

Have you ever seen a statue of "A giant hamster twisted into humanoid form" or similar, Blizzlord?  This is one of those things that I wish was in the game...

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:08:07 am »

A forgotten beast so forgotten, nobody even knew what it looked like anymore.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:08:58 am »

From what it looks like there needs to be a Specific forgotan beast\titan chosen by the dwarf for engraving\statue to get somthing like, the forgoteen beast logam ect..ect...    otherwise it defaults back to generic forgotten beast. Current fort of mine has both types of carvings.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:28:10 am »

It is just that the fact it lacks a description makes me think in the direction of lovecraftian beings. Is the beast so disorted so that it is undescribable? I know the lore behind these monstrosities.

Also, the mason made another one. 2 statues of eldrich abominations and 4 statues of an ettin making dead elf. Man, whats up with that guy?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:36:27 am »

I guess it's intentional that statues of FB's usually turn out like "this is a statue of a forgotten beast" or "this is a statue of two/three forgotten beasts". Then again, I think there's some specification being done when it comes to making statues out of RNG-creatures, what with all the statues of various biome titans I've had. I guess only the dorfs will know just what exactly the creature depicted by the statue is.

Alternatively, it's a feature that'll get added/fixed at some point.

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 11:10:59 am »

I guess it's intentional that statues of FB's usually turn out like "this is a statue of a forgotten beast" or "this is a statue of two/three forgotten beasts". Then again, I think there's some specification being done when it comes to making statues out of RNG-creatures, what with all the statues of various biome titans I've had. I guess only the dorfs will know just what exactly the creature depicted by the statue is.

Alternatively, it's a feature that'll get added/fixed at some point.

I think a forgotten beast is technically a creature. So therefor, dwarves can make statues of just "a forgotten beast". I've seen this too.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 02:36:53 pm »

A forgotten beast and titan (and HFS) are basically regular creatures that don't appear in the raws, because their random generation doesn't play well with the raws (and Toady doesn't want us making new HFS, can't blame him).  The point is, they still technically have a raw definition that you can't see.  While normal creatures have random hair color, these have random body types.  So, when you see a statue of "a horse" that's fine, because it's calling on generic creature type.  "A forgotten beast" is similar, it's just using the nametag.  The only difference is that every FB is unique, so there's no generic creature types to compare against.

Titans come in flavors.  There's forest titans, plains titans, swamp titans, etc.  That just means that the creature has different castes which, again, you can't see.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »

My only question is, what the hell does a generic Forgotten Beast look like?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 02:53:34 pm »

I assume the dwarf just engraves a generic boogeyman.  Something big with teeth.  And NO BEARD!

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »

My only question is, what the hell does a generic Forgotten Beast look like?

It's an image of a regular beast that they screwed up in a drunken stupor but rather than admit it they claim it's a masterwork forgotten beast.

Urist McArtcritic : "Is that a rabbit? Why does it have 3 eyes and a shell?"
Urist McSculptor : "Nah, that's a, uh... a FORGOTTEN BEAST!"
This is a known source of vexation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 06:28:58 pm »

That's how Armok handled them originally.  The angel looked and said, "Why does that dragonfly have tentacles?"  And Armok made it the size of a house and said, "Shut up!"

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:08 am »

I think that's pretty normal, my dwarfs are engraving FB's everywhere. (It's the symbol of my government) But there is never any description accompanying them.

Lucky.

The symbol of my government, which is engraved over all of my tombs, is "A useless human noble"

That is exactly what it says.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:10 am »

I always imagined the statues of multiple FBs to be like gruesome totem poles, the engravings of one or more would be like the formless patterns on the walls where all you could really recognize were the eyes, which would seem to glow with their own unwholesome light.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.
Pages: [1] 2