Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven cuisine  (Read 8996 times)

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
Dwarven cuisine
« on: January 07, 2012, 11:32:30 am »

Is it just my dwarves or is every single meal in DF made mostly out of tallow?

seriously, I had a fort once where they had about 40 "turkey tallow biscuts" and once they decided to make "oyster bistcuts" they were mixed in with turkey tallow. Now I have a new fortress and the first meal they make is "goat sweetbread stew" the ingredients? minced goat sweetbread, deer tallow, and deer tallow...

I never want to go to a dwarven dinner party, The question would be, "What do you wnat with your rendered fat?"  :-\
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven cuisine
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:40:15 am »

Well, In my current good fortress, all they seem to make is tallow biscuits.  They're literally cooked blobs of fat, sometimes with a part of my limitless supply of turtle mixed in as well.  And every single one is a freaking masterpiece work, every 5 seconds I get "ushrir ushrirlikot (yes, that's his name) has created a masterpiece!" nut to mention his good friend/captain of the guard atesh ateshsezuk.  They aren't friends, they just have their first name in their last name.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:19:02 pm »

Rendered fat is edible, you get several units of fat from one kill and meat tends to form larger stacks, resulting in more individual units of fat or tallow to cook, whereas meat will be used in larger blocks. I think
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 02:02:49 pm »

My understanding is that meals made with tallow are lower in value than other meals, because tallow does not have quality. So I always go into the kitchen menu and disable cooking tallow as soon as I see that fat from a new animal has been rendered. Gotta keep those soapmakers busy somehow.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 04:19:06 pm »

Tallow isn't stored in stacks the way meat is, so where a meal would otherwise use an entire stack of meat as a single ingredient, it'll only use a single glob of tallow. This means that tallow-based meals tend to be numerous but in very small stacks.

Besides, fatty food isn't necessarily unhealthy if you keep your dwarves busy enough to work it all off, and in many cases being really fat is beneficial to dwarves because fat can take hits that would otherwise affect vital organs.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:14:19 pm »

Besides, anything isn't necessarily unhealthy if you weaponize it, and in all cases being weaponized is beneficial to dwarves the player because combat.

Fix'd.

Anyway, loosing your fat makes you fireproof. Which is beneficial because Magma.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 11:40:09 pm »

Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:37 am »

Just disable tallow in the baking menu. You're going to need it for soap anyway. I've been trying to get away from consuming the less savory animals anyway. Do you really want to be eating giant toad brains and manta ray intestines, let alone congealed gorilla grease?

Personally, I've just discovered the incredible edible egg. After embarking with sixty chickens and learning that dwarves don't eat eggs raw, I've got a cook making nothing but +chicken egg roast+. My fort's cholesterol levels (once Toady gets around to simulating them) would probably kill the lot of them before HFS gets the chance.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 12:42:52 am »

Besides, anything isn't necessarily unhealthy if you weaponize it, and in all cases being weaponized is beneficial to dwarves the player because combat.
Anyway, loosing your fat makes you fireproof. Which is beneficial because Magma.
For now. I believe that somewhere Toady mentioned that he'd be reworking fire/hot temperatures to function a little more dangerously then the current "melt all of their fat off and they can swim in magma and not care" idea.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »

Cooks definitely love going for tallow, tallow and more tallow. I always have the mix food order on, so it beats me why they don't grab other ingredients much of the time. It happens with eggs and quarry bush leaves, too, but that's not as squicky as munching on pure fat.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:57:26 pm »

My problem is always eggs.

"Masterful chicken egg roast" made from minced chicken eggs, minced duck eggs, minced turkey eggs... etc. 

Basically huge freaking omlettes, made entirely of eggs, and no other ingredients.

Taken with the tallow problem, the dwarfs are all gonna die from accute type II diabetes and congestive heart failure.

I really wish there was a way to restrict egg use to only a single ingredient slot.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »

Custom stockpile is the answer near the kitchen. Plus separate storage areas for cheese, wheat, tallow, sugar, leaves. When stocks get too high it one item, designate the custom stockpile near the kitchen to cook it up.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 12:05:06 am »

Just going to leave this here...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/shameless_plug
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 12:17:10 am »

Just going to leave this here...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/shameless_plug

I think a roast would be more spectacular. Why? You know how Dwarves don't use any eating utensils or tools?

Well then that means it's safe to assume Dwarves use the food itself as a bowl. For the food. Food within food.

>Dwarf eating a chicken roast bowl full of booze with a cat tallow fork :D

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:12 am »

Cooks love to just take whatever is nearest. If the kitchen is stacked full of tallow, then tallow will be nearest.

What I do, is I have one kitchen next to the fat stockpile. This kitchen is set to render fat, and prepare easy meals. This is for training cooking.

I have another kitchen next to the main meat stockpile. I prepare lavish meals at this kitchen.

When a caravan comes along, I search for Biscuits and/or Tallow and trade them all away.

By the way, if you want to make customized roast, this can be done in the following way. Next to the kitchen, create 4 1x1 zero-barrels food stockpiles, each with a desired ingredient. For example, 2 with meat, 1 with flour, 1 with plump helmets - or whatever you want. Have each mini-stockpile 'take' from other stockpiles. So now the kitchen will always have 4 ingredients next to it, and the cook will thus tend to use those 4 ingredients in his roasts.
Pages: [1] 2 3