Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarven cuisine  (Read 8999 times)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven cuisine
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 06:56:14 am »

Just disable tallow in the baking menu. You're going to need it for soap anyway. I've been trying to get away from consuming the less savory animals anyway. Do you really want to be eating giant toad brains and manta ray intestines, let alone congealed gorilla grease?

Personally, I've just discovered the incredible edible egg. After embarking with sixty chickens and learning that dwarves don't eat eggs raw, I've got a cook making nothing but +chicken egg roast+. My fort's cholesterol levels (once Toady gets around to simulating them) would probably kill the lot of them before HFS gets the chance.

I think he's going to create blood glucose/insulin simulations first. All the booze should cause diabetes to kill our forts before heart attacks.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:07 am »

For me, it's plants. Due to my many 10x10 farms, for both below and above ground crops, I have literally tons of different plant-based foods. If I'm feeling lazy, I just have a few Plump Helmet/Fisher Berry roasts brought to the Trade Depot. My supply of high quality plant roasts has grown to the point that I have extra brought to the Trade depot simply so that I can give it away after I've purchased everything I want.

In other words, Gorerape's food industry is, for the most part, run by a group of legendary vegan chefs.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 09:11:05 am »

I disable tallow and all kinds of intestines for cooking, the mountain of fat is either made into soap or dumped. I throw away a lot of the things I get from slaughtering animals, only keeping the meat, the bone, skull and some of the fat, the rest isnīt usefull enough.

Food is meat, sugar, syrup, leaves, flour, plants, but not seed or tallow.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 02:37:34 pm »

Many cultures use organ meats. Tripe, liver, brains, intestines, stomach... the lot. How do you think sausages are made? "Something" has to be the casing, afterall...

(That would be a good request item. Special "make sausage" job in the kitchen. Requires 1 meat, one intestine, and at least 1 plant. Maybe I will mod something like that in. making it require cooking would open the door to double cooked food. Finally, omletts that would be worth something...)

Tallow is also useful for baking (try making a good pie crust without lard...) but as a primary ingredient, dwarves are looking to cause congestive heart failure and renal failure... not that they pee anyway though. With how much they drink, they would be in the loo as often as they are in the food stockpile, so let's be thankful that particular activity is overlooked...

I like the idea of the tiny food stockpiles around kitchens.

However, the real problem I have is the rate that birds lay eggs.  On year of regular egg collection with just 10 chickens will net you hundreds of eggs.  This is a little too fecud, even for chickens.

A few birds of different species, and you are overflowing with eggs. :(

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »

However, the real problem I have is the rate that birds lay eggs.  On year of regular egg collection with just 10 chickens will net you hundreds of eggs.  This is a little too fecud, even for chickens.

Well, for chickens, that's not unrealistic, uh, assuming they are cave-adapted chickens or living on/near the surface...
The problem really is that 1 egg = 1 whole meal for a dwarf.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »

"In 1900, average egg production was 83 eggs per hen per year. In 2000, it was well over 300." (1)  The 1900 value was well before most of what we consider "modern" chicken and egg production improvements, and is probably similar to values from much earlier, as would be seen in DF.  Some of the main issues with good year-round laying are availability of food, fresh water, stable warm temperatures, and additional light (2); given a well constructed underground fortress in DF, those are pretty solvable (and, yes, the last two can in fact be solved with magma). 

As others have noted, "an egg" seems to be a full meal for a dwarf; while eggs are in fact some of the most effective foods you can eat, that's stretching things a bit.  However, production values are rather lower than they should be, so it's reasonable to assume that "an egg" may actually be several smaller eggs in some cases. 

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 06:23:47 pm »

For me, it's plants. Due to my many 10x10 farms, for both below and above ground crops, I have literally tons of different plant-based foods. If I'm feeling lazy, I just have a few Plump Helmet/Fisher Berry roasts brought to the Trade Depot. My supply of high quality plant roasts has grown to the point that I have extra brought to the Trade depot simply so that I can give it away after I've purchased everything I want.

In other words, Gorerape's food industry is, for the most part, run by a group of legendary vegan chefs.

GoreRapes still hangin around? damn.

on topic: i have an excess of truffles, resulting in a truffle truffle truffle roast. which is strangely hilarious.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »

My previous forts subsisted on Forgotten Beast 'n Dog Roast Surprise, held together with some Forgotten Beast Tallow.

The current ones are having Donkey cheese roasts, with plump helmets added in as well.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »

GoreRapes still hangin around? damn.

Just over a decade old. I don't play it as often, since I've been occupied with making test forts to try out various modifications I've made to the game, but it's still going strong. I have an epic masterplan in mind for it, and only after that's done will I be able to finally move on from having it as my primary fort.

Back on the topic of food:

The really annoying things is, it's not like all they have to work with is plants. Gorerape has accumulated 1k+ in meat from Forgotten Beasties, and the mercy killings of starving animals, nigh endless amounts of different eggs, loads upon loads of tallow, lots of flour, syrup and sugar, and I always buy all fish from caravans. Yet they insist on pumping out wave after wave of plant roasts.

Though admittedly, reading the descriptions for some of them, my dwarves probably know how to whip up a really tasty salad.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:47:22 pm by King DZA »

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 06:55:13 pm »

on topic: i have an excess of truffles, resulting in a truffle truffle truffle roast. which is strangely hilarious.

When dwarves fight in burrows, it's called a dwarrow burrow battle.

And when they battle in a burrow where a murky pool was hollowed, it's a murky muddy puddle hollow dwarrow burrow battle.

And when dwarrows battle dwarrows in a murky puddle hollow and the murky puddle hollow is all bloody from the battle, it's an icky murky bloody muddy puddle hollow dwarrow burrow muddle.

And when dwarrows fight these battles with their adamantine hammers and the burrow's near a crundle and the crundle's eating truffles, they call this a muddle puddle bloody burrow crundle hollow dwarrow truffle wiffle handle bloody battle bungle.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 07:00:55 pm »

When dwarves fight in burrows, it's called a dwarrow burrow battle.

And when they battle in a burrow where a murky pool was hollowed, it's a murky muddy puddle hollow dwarrow burrow battle.

And when dwarrows battle dwarrows in a murky puddle hollow and the murky puddle hollow is all bloody from the battle, it's an icky murky bloody muddy puddle hollow dwarrow burrow muddle.

And when dwarrows fight these battles with their adamantine hammers and the burrow's near a crundle and the crundle's eating truffles, they call this a muddle puddle bloody burrow crundle hollow dwarrow truffle wiffle handle bloody battle bungle.

How long did it take you to write that post? I'm guessing an hour, and you were snickering to yourself the whole time.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:20 pm »

How long did it take you to write that post? I'm guessing an hour, and you were snickering to yourself the whole time.

Well, I guess just look at the timestamps. After I read the "truffle truffle truffle roast" line it was kind of more like this:

Urist McDoublestrafe interrupts Read Post: taken by mood.
Urist McDoublestrafe is taken by a fey mood!
Urist McDoublestrafe has claimed a Notepad.
Urist McDoublestrafe has begun a mysterious construction!
Urist McDoublestrafe works furiously!

...either that or I went fell and constructed this from the corpse of Dr. Seuss.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:43 am »

...either that or I went fell and constructed this from the corpse of Dr. Seuss.

sigged!
(I'm down to my last 10 characters now)

Also, I think I'm seeing a pattern here:

If you have a fortress with a lot of hunting or ranching, you have to much tallow (like in my fortresses(carnivores ftw))
If you have too much poultry, you get enough omlettes to kill 20 dwarves.
and, if you only have farming, you fortress goes vegan.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 09:37:54 am »

sigged!
(I'm down to my last 10 characters now)

Also, I think I'm seeing a pattern here:

If you have a fortress with a lot of hunting or ranching, you have to much tallow (like in my fortresses(carnivores ftw))
If you have too much poultry, you get enough omlettes to kill 20 dwarves.
and, if you only have farming, you fortress goes vegan.

I very much prefer stocking a bit (a lot) of everything from plants to tallow and make sure they are all available to eat in raw form or as roasts. Some roasts are all meat, some all egg, some all plant and some are a mix of everything with the occasional bit of booze i forgot to turn off in the kitchens menu minced in too. I do enjoy producing a balanced experience for my hairy little men. I feel it i owe it them, because the first five years consists of eating raw mushrooms in the dark while sleeping in the mud with their friends occasionally being murdered by local wildlife or my stupidity melting them.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Dwarfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 12:54:20 pm »

I have tons of tallow I end up forbidding too. It's too valuable as soap. I think the trick is making roasts to increase value, since it uses more items, and also having custom stockpiles of the desired ingredients closer to the kitchens.
Pages: 1 [2] 3