Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Roguelikeish with Byond?  (Read 2822 times)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Roguelikeish with Byond?
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »

Hello!

Is it possible to do any good game with Byond without any c# or c++ knowledge past hello world and tictactoe?
Can do art stuff but in coding i've never really got into.
Basicly game idea is scifi based game with multiplayer roguelike in mind

Shaoni

• Bay Watcher
  • AIDS is good
    • View Profile
Re: Making Roguelikeish with Byond?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 04:15:39 am »

As a fellower BYONDer, and DM programmer, I'd first like to inform that DM has nothing to do with C++ or C# whatsoever, so yeah, you can probably do it without it...

But yes, roguelikes are easy enough to make (If you can think of a consistent way to generate a world), and I don't see why it shouldn't be sci-fi.

But if you don't know how to program, you should learn it first by making simple games. Something like a multiplayer roguelike is tough.
It's an image of a regular beast that they screwed up in a drunken stupor but rather than admit it they claim it's a masterwork forgotten beast.

Urist McArtcritic : "Is that a rabbit? Why does it have 3 eyes and a shell?"
Urist McSculptor : "Nah, that's a, uh... a FORGOTTEN BEAST!"

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 05:55:59 pm »

Thank for your response Shaoni.
Some good advices and info.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »

I haven't so much as looked at BYOND in a very long time, but I recall it being a simplified, almost Python-like language to learn.  Assuming you can handle learning the language, you'll be fine.  Just backpedal a bit and make about ten simple games first, just to learn different aspects of the language.  More important than learning the language, though, it learning to program.  Yeah, they're different things.  Learning bad style or technique can kill you later.

I remember DM being pretty simplified.  That's great for learning, but it also somewhat limits you.  I know DM is capable of what you want to do, but you might have to jump through a few hoops to do it.  Honestly, I don't remember.  It's just a rule of thumb that with simplicity comes limitations.

Good luck on the game and ask if you need help.  The BYOND Developer forums are probably useful, and if not, there's always here.  Your idea sounds cool, but, and not to discourage you, ideas don't do much until you figure out how to implement them.  Many projects die young because the dev doesn't have the motivation to make it happen.  Just keep your chin up and power through it.  Write as many mini-projects as you can while learning how to do it.

And do yourself a favor...it doesn't matter what it is or how unpleasant the process is...once you start a project, finish it.  Just finish it.  Don't abandon it for any reason other than "I need to learn how to do this first".  And even then, learn that one thing and go back to the original project.  Never have more than two projects at a time; one main and a second where you learn things you need for the main.  You ideally shouldn't have a second very often.

Shaoni

• Bay Watcher
  • AIDS is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 07:22:19 pm »

many words

You're right about the Python-likeness. I started with BYOND first, then when I decided to learn Python, I was surprised by how similar it is. I believe BYOND is easier for newbies to make multiplayer games with, though, since it has native support for it. Let's see...

Code: [Select]
mob

verb

chat (msg as text)

world << "[usr] says: [msg]"

There's a fully working chatroom. Using DMI and DMM files, that could become a graphic chat with 5 lines of code, which is impressive for pretty much any language. And since it's so simple, it's also very easy to learn. Only took me about ~2 weeks to master the language after looking at a good tutorial.
It's an image of a regular beast that they screwed up in a drunken stupor but rather than admit it they claim it's a masterwork forgotten beast.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:38:35 pm »

So it would be better if i go straight to Python?
All i've read is good rewievs of it and i understand it is getting more popular day by day?

Shaoni

• Bay Watcher
  • AIDS is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 01:02:36 am »

Python is much, much easier to make standlaone programs with than BYOND, even if it's harder to learn, and you shouldn't expect multiplayer before you're good at it. But yeah, it is generally better.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 01:24:27 am »

Python will be a better language in the end, but you're not making any games anytime soon, even if you are using Pygame.  It's up to you how to pursue this.

Do you want to make a game or do you want to learn to program?  That's really what this comes down to.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54:37 am »

Do you want to make a game or do you want to learn to program?  That's really what this comes down to.

Really good point. Not too sure about cos programming aint anything close my job this point and highly doubt it will be.
It would go for hobbie section and i would be able to do anything when i'm middle aged old f.art  :P

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:15:57 am »

It doesn't have to be your job for you to do it.  If you're interested in learning programming, we have a really good Programming Thread going over in General.  It has tutorials of various levels on Java, C++, C#, and Lisp with at least a couple other languages being planned.  There's nothing there on Python yet, but if you went and asked, I'm sure somebody, quite possibly me, would write a few tutorials for you.  </plug for major thread I'm heavily involved with>

That aside, if all you want is a game and you want it in the foreseeable future, go with DM.

Again, it comes down to what you really want to do.  First thing's first though.  Decide.  You aren't getting anywhere until you make a choice.