Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wrestlers assigned to Crossbows = empty quivers  (Read 25077 times)

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wrestlers assigned to Crossbows = empty quivers
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

I've been monitoring this problem with my new fort for a couple days now, not sure why it was happening. I'd drafted 12 dwarves and assigned them Unarmed with Plate armor. They grabbed armor as it became available, they wrestled and raised their skill, so far so good.

Then, I assigned all of them to Crossbows. They grabbed the x-bows in their right hands (they are not carrying shields), they grabbed the quivers, and they started grabbing wooden bolts to train. So far so good, right?

Well, most of them have empty quivers! This will be a problem when I send them out to fight and they have no ammo. I've tried setting them on duty and moving them around, I've tried unarming and re-arming the ammoless dwarves, but they still refuse to grab any bolts.

Interestingly, many of them are now Proficient Hammerdwarves as they are still training in melee combat while holding the crossbows. They are also practicing marksdwarfship whenever they get a chance. Really, it's a brilliant cross-training program if only I could make them pick up bolts so they'd be ready to fight when the time comes.

Today I noticed a pattern that shines some light on this. Four of my dwarves /are/ carrying bolts in their quivers. The difference? Those four dwarves have the TITLE of Marksdwarf, whereas all the others, none of whom have any bolts in their quivers, have the title of Wrestler. The Wrestlers will soon become Hammerdwarves at this rate, bashing at eachother in training with their crossbows, which I doubt will fix the problem. I might be able to shut off my barracks and force their marksdwarf skill to surpass their melee skills though.

Also, I noticed my marksdwarves have little to no hammerdwarf skill, while those that refuse to put anything in their quivers are becoming Proficient Hammerdwarves. So I don't think marksdwarves cross-training themselves whenever they don't have enough wooden/bone bolts to practice is deliberate, since it isn't firing off for 'titled' Marksdwarves.

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]

Adding to confirm that as soon as dwarves are titled Marksdwarves they /do/ grab metal bolts to fill their quivers. Since shutting down my barracks and ramping up training bolt production, I went from 4 marksdwarves to 6, and every single one has bolts in their quivers. Still pretty sure this is a bug because if I hadn't shut down my barracks they'd never have gained enough shooting skill to decide they needed bolts; ideally, they should prefer ranged combat and grab bolts as soon as I assign them crossbows.

[ November 17, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]

There were still some abberations that didn't hold true to my theory of when this bug does and does not occur. After leaving an unarmed squad of Wrestlers on-duty outside for a few seasons (forgot about them for a bit), and then telling them to get crossbows, several of them put bolts in their quiver immediately. One of them didn't, for no apparent reason, and that one also refused to ever train marksdwarveship either.

All in all it's not that bad of a glitch though, by shutting off the barracks and making tons and tons of wooden bolts I managed to get 90% of my would-be marksdwarves to become true, fully-functional marksdwarves. None of them went back to clubbing eachother with their xbows when I turned the barracks back on, and those that remained buggy I just went ahead and kept as melee combattants.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestlers assigned to Crossbows = empty quivers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

Delete me - I figured it out afterwards.

[ November 18, 2007: Message edited by: Dwarfu ]

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:32:33 pm »

ZOMBIE THREAD resurrection here, but i was having similar problems with my marksdorfs not dropping their steel bolts and using my bone bolts no matter what. So i looked into what OP was trying and i fixed it, apparently i had to manually dump the steel bolts, remove the barracks, and set the squad to inactive (with the targets set up for training of course). Now my dorfs are shooting away using all my range targets at once with their bone bolts!

Sesame

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 03:19:50 pm »

yeah i have a similar problem of dwarfs no longer picking up bolts.   i have a massive surplus of all bolt kinds,  dwarfs have quivers and weapons but none of them will pick up ammo regardless of their job title 

ive tried:
removing them from the squad and making new squads, 
making them rangers/hunters,   
forbidding and dumping quivers, 
playing around with bolt allocation in the ammo menu,
assigning them new armour/weapons,
deleting their baracks and archery ranges

edit: managed to get them shooting again by assigning a new stockpile with arrows/blowdarts forbidden.  perhaps there where arrows in the top slot of all my bins?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:24:21 pm by Sesame »

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:23:33 am »

in the (m)enu, then press (a)mmunition to assign which bolts your hunters use and which bolts your military uses.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:04:01 am »

Necromancer gestures!
The Topic shudders and begins to move!

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile