Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: X-COM Tabletop Wargame  (Read 5305 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: X-COM Tabletop Wargame
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 08:56:47 am »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:59:43 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 07:01:41 pm »

Yeah that's looking like it. I believe the scenario he built into 3d was this one:

Although I don't remember quite that much crap being there.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »

I've finished the force organization charts, and I'll try a few test games tomorrow.  If everything works out, then by tomorrow the game will be fully playable on a Skirmish level.  I'll compile everything, post the pdf, and then start on non-skirmish stuff.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:32 am »

Alright, first test game is go.  X-COM vs. Sectoids.

Spoiler: Pregame (click to show/hide)

Chain Reaction 3.0's terrain generation tends to make things a little sparse.

Spoiler: X-COM (click to show/hide)
Just generated my squad.  The Star (My player character) is bordered in gold.  I may have to rearrange the Attributes table, it uses 2d6 which I'm pretty sure doesn't actually roll each result with equal probability and it seems weighted toward bad attributes.  Almost everyone had the same three or four (There are fourteen total) and most of them were bad.

Spoiler: The Sectoids (click to show/hide)
I generated a Scout crew, but didn't bother placing a UFO (Though I have a terrain piece for the Medium Scout ready and can easily make the rest).  That's two Navigators (The guys with the red sunburst), Rep 3, with pistols, and five Soldiers, Rep 2, with rifles.  This shouldn't be too tough.  We have better range, better skill, and since I'm going to be inserting through those woods we have the terrain advantage too.  The only thing the sectoids have is firepower.  Coveralls don't protect against plasma and their guns are really strong.

Normally in a solo game enemy forces would be resolved through PEFs (Potential Enemy Forces).  They're figures (My Maptool module uses radar blips as a token) that move around in a semi-random way based on die rolls, and if one comes into LOS you roll dice to see what's there.  Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it's aliens.  I'm not sure how I'm going to wrangle that quite yet so for now I'm going to just play both sides and deploy fixed numbers of forces.

Spoiler: Deployment (click to show/hide)

I put the aliens in the stand of trees by the road.  The purple thing (It's an eye but you can't see it from this range) means they're hidden.  X-COM, being the attackers in this mission, start off-map and enter the board on their first turn.

First initiative roll, X-COM 6, aliens 5.  Initiative represents who jumps to the attack first, so slower units may miss an opportunity.  To represent that, only figures with a Rep equal to or higher than the Initiative roll (Or figures in a group with a leader who can move) can move in a turn.  With rolls like that, no one can move.

Second roll, X-COM 1, Aliens 3.  Aliens go first, and since they're all in groups led by Rep 3 navigators, they all move.  Sectoids with rifles move into better positions and overwatch.  They designate a swath based on their T rating and get a bonus to their In Sight rolls if someone comes into LOS within the swath.

X-COM moves forward through the woods, not much to see.

Round 3, Initiative 2-5.  This is what I mean with the initiative.  The aliens had an opportunity but missed it because they're Sectoids and they suck.  Not that there was anything for them to do.  Team A moves in, Team B, on top of the hill, starts getting into overwatch position.
Spoiler: Round 3 (click to show/hide)
The little wings on Corporal Dongs means he's a Team Leader.  I also forgot to add Hidden markers to the agents.  They're all hidden.

Round 4, X-COM goes first.  The guy with the SAW on the hill sets up for overwatch with the swath on the lower part of the stand of trees, then Cannon guy fires an explosive round right in that shit.  He rolls a 6 to hit, which with his Rep 4 means his To Hit is 10 which means all the Sectoids in the grenade's radius take a hit.  When a grenade goes off, you roll 1d6+R, and the result determines the difficulty of targets hit (So if there were two sectoids, one in cover and one in the open, and you got an 8, the Sectoid in cover would be safe and the sectoid in the open would be hit).  So all the sectoids roll for damage.  Explosive cannon rounds are Impact 3, and because the Sectoids have Big Head, the Impact is effectively 4.

When you hit somebody, you roll 1d6.  If it's below the weapon's impact, the target is Obviously Dead.  If it's above the Impact but below the target's Rep, he's lightly wounded, knocked down, and has to get back up next turn.  If it's above the Impact and Rep, the target's Out of the Fight (OOF), badly wounded and incapacitated.  Incapacitated agents have to be rescued if you retreat or they're considered captured by the aliens (Which gives them victory points, or whatever.  I haven't actually started on campaign rules).  Incapacitated aliens can be captured at the end of the game if you win, but because of their physiology and immune systems and such, they'll almost certainly die before you can get them to containment.  You'll have to use the stun launcher, which incapacitates without injuring.

Long story shirt, two of the sectoids are incapacitated and two are killed.  The surviving three begin backing off.

Round 5, XCOM wins, aliens can't move, Team A moves out of the woods.

Round 6, same thing, though I have an idea for the aliens to turn this around if they get some lucky rolls.

Round 7, nope.  I'm thinking about increasing the Rep of sectoid navigators and engineers to 4.  Leaders are rep 5, but without them the sectoids almost never get to move.  I throw them a bone and have Agent Dongs move around the treeline to see where they are.  The Sectoid Navigator spots him.  It takes an In Sight roll (2d6, measure the number of dice below Rep) and gets one success, meaning it Snap Fires.  Snap Fires aren't as accurate, and despite getting a 7 and an 8, he doesn't hit.  Agent Dongs fires in reaction and kills him.

Round 8, The last alien with a pistol comes up to the edge of the trees and shoots at Agent Dongs, misses, he shoots back, they exchange fire for like an hour because I forgot about received fire tests (You take another 2d6 vs Rep test when someone shoots at you or a nearby ally.  Depending on how you roll you'll either fire back or take cover) and eventually Dongs wins.  The last alien tries to cross the road to the other stand of trees but Dongs sees him and snap fires, misses, they exchange fire again (I didn't remember Reaction Fire until after this round) and amazingly THE SECTOID HITS AND DONGS GOES DOWN, with an Obviously Dead.  The Sectoid finishes his move and sets up overwatch for the treeline.  He ain't going down without a fight.

Spoiler: Turn 8 (click to show/hide)
The black and red skulls are Obviously Dead, the red and white are Out of the Fight.  The little exclamation mark is how I designate grenade landing spots.  The northernmost Obviously Dead is Agent Dongs.

Round 9 the agents move in.

Round 10 the agents reach the edge of the treeline.

Round 11 nobody can move.

Round 12 everyone can move.  Agents go first.  Sgt Dongs, and Agents Dongs and Dongs exit the stand of trees and the Last Sectoid snap fires, though he can't actually hit anyone with snap fire because he's Rep 2.  Sgt Dongs leverages his Born Leader attribute to prevent his allies from running away (The plasma gun outguns assault rifles so they probably would have run back into the woods).  They all fire.  Oh no, poor Sectoid.

Sgt Dongs fires his autocannon and knocks the last sectoid OOF.  Mission accomplished, only one death.  One death, that's barely X-COM!

My thoughts right now:  Sectoids are really fucking weak.  I may have to increase their numbers or something.  Furthermore I'm thinking about removing the Big Head attribute.  Sectoids are shitty enough without a unique attribute that makes them easier to kill.  Rep modifications are in order so they can actually move occasionally.

Later today I'm gonna put Sgt Dongs' squad in a more serious situation.  Maybe an assault on a downed Snakeman Terror Ship.  Yeah.  That'll be cool.  I need to actually put the agents in danger.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:56:49 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »

I'd definitely be up for attempting a two-player game of this, but I'll have to catch up on the reading first.  Looks like solid wargame stuff all around, which certainly a lot easier to do when starting with an existing system and a maptools module.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 05:18:23 pm »

Yeah, it may be a while.  I did the snakeman terror mission and it became obvious this is going to be more than just restatting stuff.  I'll probably have to do a full 30-something page booklet because a lot of rules are going to need modification.  The game wasn't made with dedicated melee units in mind, and doesn't really know how to handle them.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 05:27:07 pm »

Which is kind of why I mentioned ALIENS and such. Melee in those games tends to be a death sentence for the humanoids and almost fool proof for the Aliens. It encourages cover use, having a tactical spread, all that jazz. (As opposed to GWS melees which tend to devolve into a mass of bodies.)

Maybe you could devise a melee scheme in general, based on the weakest alien race in melee, then tailor new lists for each race, some of which would reflect their higher melee capabilities.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 05:50:11 pm »

Oh, they're already really strong in melee, a human has like a one in ten chance of surviving melee with a Chryssalid.  It's just that the rules will need modifying for actually getting them into melee, mainly because of reaction fire.  You can't just charge across the field at them, as soon as you come into line of sight they're gonna start shooting.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 06:30:37 pm »

Oh, they're already really strong in melee, a human has like a one in ten chance of surviving melee with a Chryssalid.  It's just that the rules will need modifying for actually getting them into melee, mainly because of reaction fire.  You can't just charge across the field at them, as soon as you come into line of sight they're gonna start shooting.

I guess if you were trying strongly model X-COM, soldiers would need a chance to take reaction fire, modified by how much activity they last did in their last turn.  Which could get to be a pain, keeping track of by hand.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 05:15:23 am »

Just generated my squad.  The Star (My player character) is bordered in gold.  I may have to rearrange the Attributes table, it uses 2d6 which I'm pretty sure doesn't actually roll each result with equal probability and it seems weighted toward bad attributes.  Almost everyone had the same three or four (There are fourteen total) and most of them were bad.
Probabilities of 2d6:
2: 1/36
3: 2/36
4: 3/36
5: 4/36
6: 5/36
7: 6/36
8: 5/36
9: 4/36
10: 3/36
11: 2/36
12: 1/36
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 07:31:44 pm »

Probabilities of 2d6:

Yeah, that's what I thought.

As for reaction fire, the game already has a detailed reaction fire system.  If you move into an enemy's line of sight he rolls 2d6, and depending on his rep he'll either duck back or take a shot at you.  If you take fire (Including from reaction fire) you roll 2d6, and depending on your rep, what gun you have, what gun he has, and a bunch of other factors that don't complicate the process half as much as you think they would, you'll either take cover or shoot back.  This continues until someone gets hit or someone ducks back.  It makes smart use of overwatch and suppressing fire essential for covering ground, just like real life.

Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2]