Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to deal with a tantruming dwarf?  (Read 3915 times)

dfJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to deal with a tantruming dwarf?
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:50:45 am »

I have a dwarf who is throwing tantrums in my dining hall after one of his masterwork xbow bolts went missing. Not sure how to deal with him, can I send my military to attack him? I'd like to lock him in a room, but he doesn't seem to wander anywhere other than the dining hall.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with a tantruming dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:10:14 am »

The best way to deal with tantruming dwarves is happy thoughts. Lock him in a room with good furniture and he should admire it until he is happy enough to not tantrum. Eating good food and drink in a legendary dining room will help as well to provide good thoughts. Whatever you do do not order the military to attack him, unless you want a loyalty cascade. Remember that there is a difference between berserk and tantruming dwarves. Berserk = enemy of the civilization and tries to kill your dwarves represented by an "@", tantruming = very unhappy dwarf who is acting like a little kid who didn't get his favorite toy that he wanted.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

dfJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:12:09 am »

Will he follow orders if drafted into a military?

dfJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:13:20 am »

Also will he attack my dwarves?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:16:53 am »

Also will he attack my dwarves?

Probably. But unless he's armed, it's unlikely he will kill anyone. Keep him away from the military though, unless you want the tantrum-er to die spectacularly.

dfJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:15 am »

The reason why I asked about the military, is I don't know any other way to move him to a room with a bunch of nice furniture, other than drafting him and stationing him.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 03:14:39 am »

tantruming dwarf!?

i just leave them to tantrum and later they calm down... i dont know what else to do with them either haha

but it worked well enough, although i had about 15 tantruming people after a military was wiped out, things calmed down and we survived. well, that is until a large goblin seige came and killed them all.

:P

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 03:35:17 am »

The best way to deal with tantruming dwarves is happy thoughts. Lock him in a room with good furniture and he should admire it until he is happy enough to not tantrum. Eating good food and drink in a legendary dining room will help as well to provide good thoughts. Whatever you do do not order the military to attack him, unless you want a loyalty cascade. Remember that there is a difference between berserk and tantruming dwarves. Berserk = enemy of the civilization and tries to kill your dwarves represented by an "@", tantruming = very unhappy dwarf who is acting like a little kid who didn't get his favorite toy that he wanted.

It's not actually possible to kill order a tantruming dwarf, is it?

As for drafting and stationing him, I've never tried that.  It might work, but I believe I've read (and would assume anyway) that a tantruming dwarf will ignore orders.  Of course, between tantrums you can get him to move somewhere, hopefully.

Losing a masterwork bolt is a pretty huge hit, isn't it?  Depending on how many he's made, he could have lost as much as 1000 happiness, right?  It might be impossible to fix him before he goes insane.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 03:48:49 am »

You know what is possible, Telgin? Kill-ordering your outpost liason. Loyalty cascades out the ass.

But as for tantrumers, they fortunately get a little happier every time they break a building or throw and object. So, after a while he'll chill out if he's just lobbing stuff everywhere.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

dfJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 12:30:18 pm »

His happiness level according to dwarf therapist is 0. Is it possible for that number to dip into the negatives? At what point does he go insane?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:38:31 pm »

I was under the impression that it could indeed go negative, but I've never used Dwarf Therapist so I've never actually seen real numbers.  Maybe Dwarf Therapist caps it at 0, I don't know.

As for when does a dwarf go insane... I'd like a concrete answer on that too.  I had a duchess once who stayed miserable for quite some time but never went insane.  I think her tantrums might have been enough to just keep her sane.

I can see two possible mechanisms for how dwarves go insane: perhaps being miserable long enough does it (maybe random, maybe affected by personality) or having a sufficiently low happiness causes it immediately (I doubt this, else losing your only masterwork would instantly cause insanity, and I can confirm this doesn't happen).  I'm sure someone will come in shortly and provide a better idea of how it works.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:44:23 pm »

The reason why I asked about the military, is I don't know any other way to move him to a room with a bunch of nice furniture, other than drafting him and stationing him.

Assign a lever to him, and order it pulled? He'll do it when his tantrum will stop, and you'll be able to lock him inside...

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:13 pm »

Theres not much point then to that if he stops but just keep your sheriff away.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 07:51:32 pm »

A tantruming dwarf may tantrum several times, pausing in between.  So there's still some point to it, during those pauses he'll go pull the lever at which point he can tantrum to his heart's content in whatever trap you've arranged for him.  He'll probably end up breaking the lever though.