Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Half my fortress is due for beating/death/jailtime  (Read 836 times)

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Half my fortress is due for beating/death/jailtime
« on: January 10, 2012, 02:47:06 am »

erm...

well today I was promoted to the barony. I appointed a baron. BUT, before it showed the person as a baron, I still was trading with the dwarven caravan. I traded many crafts, which happened to include crowns.

Now, a day or so later, apparenntly my baron that I have just appointed has forbidden the export of crowns.

I found out about this by three dwarves being killed just now. in their beds. One was my best hammerdwarf! Armok damn it!

So I looked at my justice thing under status, and about 40 dwarves have punishments. Most have beatings to be made some with two long month prison times some with year long ones! I only have two chains!!!

at this rate, half my fortress will be killed by beating!!! aioghoiashjfoadishjdfs

how do I fix this!?? What do I do!?!?! I am tempted to just crash the game and waste the past 3 hours just so i dont have to deal with this stupid thing!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Half my fortress is due for beating/death/jailtime
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:00:58 am »

Save scumming is definitely one way.  Maybe you can disband the fortress guard?  I've never tried that, maybe it will work.

Otherwise, once a punishment is set that's that as far as I know.  You could do things like maybe lock the guard off in places where they can't get to your citizens to kill them, but that's only a temporary solution.

You could also possibly change your guard's uniform so that they either don't have a weapon or have a crappy weapon (like training spears), if you have any.  They'll still issue summary beatings, but they'll have a much better chance of surviving.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:03:55 am »

ah poop

i have had it paused, but when i unpause it every 5 seconds a dwarf is getting killed from the severe beatings

i think im just going to crash the game and go to sleep and cry...

WHY ARMOK WHYYYY!!!

thank you for the help :P

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:07:42 am »

unpaused it for 20 more seconds... 7 more dwarves killed...

yeah im crashing it haha this is annoying

i would accept it if it gave me a warning but it is punishing me for something that was not shown as mandated until after i had done the new criminal act!! like if a law was passed banning alcohol from henceforth but i drank alchohol a day before it was passed but still was sent to jail for it, when in truth i should be innocent

ahoish oh well

Gunnarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 03:10:12 am »

and i just want to say,

the person that i chose to be the baron was not shown to be the baron on the nobles screen until a short time after the trading was completed, so i think it was mandated but it did not show that it was mandated until after the laison left and the formal declaration of the land becoming a barony was announced.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:14 am »

This is why I don't bother with appointing a captain of the guard.  My duke makes ridiculous demands for crystal glass all the time but everyone else just ignores him.  He pouts that no one is bothering to punish the "criminals" but there's so much good food and booze and he's got furniture carved out of solid gold, so he eventually gets over it.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:27:28 am »

Just vacate the Captain of the Guard....

nutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:33:00 am »

I'm with orius. The justice system is a waste of time. Good rooms, food, and drinks keep nobles happy enough despite bad thoughts about delayed punishment and ignored mandates.

If you don't bother with a justice system, worst case scenario is a noble goes nuts and provides you with some entertainment.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:37:34 pm »

Did your mayor make any production mandates? Are the beatings from failing the mayor's requests, by any chance?

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:20:07 pm »

I personally got fortress guard as a marks-dwarf squad. I usually keep them off duty and activate them only when i need to.
The trick is, give them only wooden crossbows. They will not shoot at the criminals, just walk to them and smack them with it. But since the crossbows are wooden, its rarely worse then few bruises and I have yet to see fatal beating (though i got a few broken bones and even one or two fractured skulls).
And best part is, since they always fire from behind fortifications and shooting performance is not affected by crossbow material, they are still 100% effective in real combat.