Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [CRASH] Cancelling bridges, +2 bugs  (Read 673 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
[CRASH] Cancelling bridges, +2 bugs
« on: August 13, 2006, 04:20:00 am »

This JUST happened to me. I started a game on an icey map (no tree/bushes outside, completely ice w/ mud. like that) and played it as normal, but this is where i encountered a bug with digging. Long story short:
A miner failed to aquire a dig path, but when i made a second selection directly north of the inital tile, digging began. I looked at the surrounding area, and there was nothing to suggest that i had selected a block of stone in a diagonal position* so it should've worked just fine.

Then, after some of the dig had been finished, people failed to obtain the ores (i hit silver almost immediately, and in large quantities; 20 to 30< blocks VISIBLE before crash) and stones and put them in the proper piles, despite me having stone, ore, and mining piles. After 2 minutes of this, I dug out the entrance a bit more (3x3 ^2 entrance, with a single-wide corridor going in) and then the others seemed to be able to aquire them just fine. Really, really weird pathing issue right there.

Now the critical peice, and the reason why i'm posting this: The crash.

Some time into the game and after the first summer and first flood, i decided to place a 2x3 tile (that's vertical, btw) farm plot and a retractable (S) bridge nearby leading into a wall. However, i misplaced the bridge (it's left side was completely surrounded by fields) and when i went to remove it (T, Select, X) the game crashed to the desktop.

The area looked like: (Copy and paste into notepad for a non-distorted view)

code:
####..~~~~~~~..#
...+...~~~~~.##
####FF~~~~~~##
  #FFBBBBBB#
  #FF~~~~~~#
  ##.~~~~###
   ##~~~~~#

F is the Farm (unbuilt)
B is the Bridge's placement
. # + and ~ are the floor, wall, door, and cave-river water, respectively.

If it matters, i was running windows media player at the time with the sound folder changed to "sounds" so i could listen to the music player without distortion being caused by the game's music. 3Ghz, 2 Gigs of ram, 120 Gig HD, ATI RADEON 9600 Pro(? Long time since i looked) DX9.

*Visual aid:
PPW
PWTTT
PW
P is the pathable area, W is a wall, and T is the dig target, which is unreachable. However, i used "K" to look at the area, and saw no walls in such a configuration as to block the dig site:
PW
PT
PW

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [CRASH] Cancelling bridges, +2 bugs
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 04:47:00 am »

What a nightmare that was...  I think the ice is causing a lot of the path trouble, and the latest version might make that a little worse now that I think about it, but I'll clean that up and test a glacial map tomorrow/today/whatever you call it.

The bridge shouldn't have placed, so that'll be an easy enough fix if it happens here.  I'll check that out at the same time.  Seems like we'll have another version going up some time soon...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:38:00 pm »

It just suddenly hit me what might've caused the crash:

The game didn't know where to put the blocks/stone that the bridge used, because the farm was in the way! I'm currently attempting to do this (waiting for the damn flood to come) but in theory, it should work and crash the game.

Unless, of course, the situation was already expected and the rocks are deleted if they can't find a place to drop themselves upon building cancellation.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 09:46:00 pm »

I think it anticipates it, but since it's a rare situation, the delete code might be incorrect.  I think I misread your original "smack-dab in the middle of the farm" as actually place the bridge on the farm, rather than adjacent (I thought the diagram was what you wanted, since the bridge spans the river).   Since you can't put a bridge on a farm, I couldn't reproduce.  Maybe I'll have more luck now.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 09:55:00 pm »

Should've said "with the end of the bridge surrounded with farm" or "occupied all of the area around the end of the bridge with farm" so i'll edit it in now.