Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I make a video about a megaproject?  (Read 1567 times)

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should I make a video about a megaproject?
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:20:05 pm »

(sorry about the mystifying title, I've never been very good at them)

A while ago, I remember someone saying that they were dissatisfied with DF tutorials because most of them only dealt with embark and never got around to explaining the more advanced concepts. While there do exist good tutorials explaining the latter, this inspired me with an idea for a video; I decided it might be a good idea to make a video with an already established fort, and try to build a megaproject. I don't claim to be an expert at the game, but I'm not exactly a noob either.

So to get to the point, would anyone be interested in a series of videos chronicling my attempts to build something worthy of the title megaproject? I don't know exactly what I'd build yet, but I'm sure I'd come up with something if there appeared to be genuine interest.
*insert witty signature here*

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I make a video about a megaproject?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »

your title is just fine, its not mystifying at all.

not sure id watch such a video, tho.  once you've seen enough tutorials to learn how to play the game, you generally know how to play the game, and you go out and play it.  course, i guess some people just love videos (playthrus etc) so hey, dont let me stop you.  id rather build my own megastructure, tho.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:02:18 pm by daggaz »

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:07:40 pm »

I demand that you construct a 100-z bronze colossus.....from bronze!

Wayward Device has mandated the construction of bronze goods.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:12:30 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:42:57 pm »

It sounds like a great idea. Personally I find it hard to get invested in a series if I don't see everything coming together from the beginning (from embark), but I'm sure there are many other people who would get a huge kick out of it.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:42 pm »

(sorry about the mystifying title, I've never been very good at them)

A while ago, I remember someone saying that they were dissatisfied with DF tutorials because most of them only dealt with embark and never got around to explaining the more advanced concepts. While there do exist good tutorials explaining the latter, this inspired me with an idea for a video; I decided it might be a good idea to make a video with an already established fort, and try to build a megaproject. I don't claim to be an expert at the game, but I'm not exactly a noob either.

So to get to the point, would anyone be interested in a series of videos chronicling my attempts to build something worthy of the title megaproject? I don't know exactly what I'd build yet, but I'm sure I'd come up with something if there appeared to be genuine interest.

i would watch, make a link to the vid when made, try parting a ocean
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:01 am »

One thing that may be of concern is that you will be jumping back and forth between working on the project and managing the rest of your fortress. This may be too much for newer players to keep up with, depending on how much they already know about the game.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:18:42 am »

If you aren't annoying, I'd watch it :) I get a kick out of the LP videos on YouTube.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »

If you aren't annoying, I'd watch it :) I get a kick out of the LP videos on YouTube.

Your average YouTuber talks through a mouthful of spit and has pimples in his voice.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.