Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: My map has 200,000 tetrahedrite and nothing else. What should I do?  (Read 9397 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: My map has 200,000 tetrahedrite and nothing else. What should I do?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 02:10:42 pm »

That's a filthy rich fortress, now that you mention it.

Better yet, I could build a castle out of copper.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »

That's a filthy rich fortress, now that you mention it.

Better yet, I could build a castle out of copper.

Precisely. Using them for weapons is the obvious choice, so it should be avoided at all costs.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 02:22:27 pm »

No, just sell it. Make it all vanish. Poof! Gone!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »

Actually you should make a solid 55x55x55 block of copper. No living quarters or anything else inside it: just a solid lump of copper. For the sake of uselessness!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »

Actually you should make a solid 55x55x55 block of copper. No living quarters or anything else inside it: just a solid lump of copper. For the sake of uselessness!

The cube would be worthy of its own thread.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »

Exactly! Insane logistics, takes an extremely long time, massive, clear waste of precious resources, and UTTERLY FRIGGING USELESS!

The friggin' definition of dwarfyness!

Need I say more?

EDIT: LW, is it just me, or are the two of us here about 12 hours a day, each? You always seem to be capable of answering within minutes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:58:08 pm by Oliolli »

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »

Hm, collapse the upper reaches of the map into the first or 2nd cavern layer and rebuild  it out of copper blocks?  (if you run out, just import more from caravans)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 03:04:32 pm »

Hm, collapse the upper reaches of the map into the first or 2nd cavern layer and rebuild  it out of copper blocks?  (if you run out, just import more from caravans)

except the map is 8x8 which means a single vertical slice consists of 147,456 squares.  The entire map consists of approximately 13,860,864 units of stone or ore.  Reduce that number for caverns and the gorge.

This map also has 80 levels above the magma sea, so even finding and mining all of the 200,000 tetrahedrite is going to be quite a feat in itself.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »

80 levels above the magma sea? You could even afford a 55x55x20 magma reservoir made out of silver above the cube you're planning on building, and not even reach the ground level!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 03:29:35 pm »

I might build the cube, but it probably won't be real soon as I'm usually quite busy.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 03:34:46 pm »

Even better if a method was devised to drop the whole thing from the surface, straight into hell.

DODGE THIS YOU DEMONIC B*STARDS!!!
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 03:36:52 pm »

Even better if a method was devised to drop the whole thing from the surface, straight into hell.

This would be epic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 03:39:36 pm »

This would be epic.

Sadly it would deconstruct :(

What would be better, is if the cube itself became an archived save... And hilarity ensues from there. Community forts based in carving homes in the cube, demon drop pods from hell, FB cube...

Spoiler: off topic sauce (click to show/hide)

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 03:41:07 pm »

except the map is 8x8 which means a single vertical slice consists of 147,456 squares.  The entire map consists of approximately 13,860,864 units of stone or ore.  Reduce that number for caverns and the gorge.

This map also has 80 levels above the magma sea, so even finding and mining all of the 200,000 tetrahedrite is going to be quite a feat in itself.

:P I know, but it would keep you busy at least, and use a lot of copper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 08:32:31 pm »

If you have a waterfall, the fortress is not exactly screwed, just challenging.

You need to mine out then muddy some rocky subterene tiles. It doesn't take a very bit spot to subsist on nasty plump helmets, unless you have a migrant rush.

Wood is more challenging, but you should be able to trade for it with all the silver and copper you will be cranking out.  You can store food in copper barrels.  Most your traded-for wood is going to go for beds, which can't be made out of any othher material.

After that, make a deep descending series of up/down stairways until you hit an underground cave. Even if you break in on top of a big chasm, this will turn on spores for shroom trees. After that, your muddied tiles can host herbivorous animals, and will produce shroom trees.

The cold issue is harder to deal with. You need to keep underground, and exploit homeothermy of your dwarves and animals.  Carnivores like dogs don't need to eat, and produce homeothermy. "Pen" them in a grid pattern to exploit the homeothermy, and to keep them from killing each other when they overcrowd the community hall. They also reproduce prodigiously, which is good. They multiply faster than dwarves, and as long as you keep from making cavernous rooms that need ridiculous amounts of 4 legged bioheating units to keep livable, and keep doors shut to control heat loss, you should be able to pull it off. (Bonus. Dogs are edible and make leather for clothes.)

If you play it right, this fortress can stand.  Just use the silver to make smashing weapons, instead of cutting ones. Makes good shields and maces/hammers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4