Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My map has 200,000 tetrahedrite and nothing else. What should I do?  (Read 9399 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

I think the title pretty much describes how screwed these dwarves are.   207,518 tetrahedrite according to DFhack and nothing but plain stone over 200 besides that.  No flux, no trees, freezing biome*, and an aquifer.

*But there is a waterfall, so I can get water power for about 3 months of the summer.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: My map has 200,000 tetrahedrite and nothing else. What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:17 am »

...How big is your embark? Gog dayum

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:28:25 am »

silver dome. You have about 40k of them.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 02:30:20 am »

...How big is your embark? Gog dayum

8x8

silver dome. You have about 40k of them.

You know, this is a really good idea.  At first I was thinking "I have no fuel" but I can always dig to the magma sea and set up shop down there, considering there is nothing worth having near the surface.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 03:33:49 am »

Why not add a copper statue of a dwarf (or something) next to the silver dome, and set up your accommodation inside it?

If all else fails, export some nice silver/copper stuff and bulk-buy other metals until you're able to do something with them.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 03:48:16 am »

Silver warhammers are an excellent alternative weapon trap devices.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48:26 am »

Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:29 am »

Interesting embark. I was kinda worried I was the only one who did huge embarks. The only ones I can't get to work are whole map-section embarks. Smaller than that and it usually works.

As for all that stuff, I think the above explanations suffice. Just hope that the caravans have anything good for you... if not, wait for goblin christmas.

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:24:55 am »

fuel is only a problem when you''re making steel. train legendary metalcrafters and trade your ☼Silver Crafts☼ for the whole caravan wagon
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 09:25:57 am »

Upon further inspection, the map also has 17 candy veins. 

Maybe metal won't be an issue at all then.

I should also mention the waterfall is 15 tiles wide (but only 3 tall) as a river pours into a major river.

Silver warhammers are an excellent alternative weapon trap devices.
fuel is only a problem when you''re making steel. train legendary metalcrafters and trade your ☼Silver Crafts☼ for the whole caravan wagon

Indeed, silver warhammers it is then.  I'll just wait for Goblin Christmas for iron to make steel for armor.  I *did* bring some logs along, because I knew what I was getting myself into...  I'll also order more from the first caravan.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:48 am »

wow you're the richest bastard ever. Congratulations

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 11:12:30 am »

I always enjoy the embarks with "only this many tiers of weapons-grade metal" kinda thing. Makes for unique challenges. My last fort was in fact named Copperhail, and contained nothing but tetrahedrite and garnierite (nickel). Train up some weapon and armorsmiths and kit your guys out with full quality copper armor and steel silver blunt weaponry and see how many goblin sieges you can handle :) Of course candy changes everything, and if you know enough to get your hands on some of that then i don't think your lack of metals will be an issue...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:18:57 pm by schismatise »

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 12:07:28 pm »

You'll be fine. My military are armed with nothing but copper weapons and they can still take down a goblin siege with ease.
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:49:52 pm »

Mountains of copper coins?

WAIT 2000 YEARS, COPPER WILL BE MORE VALUABLE THAN GOLD
~DF

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 01:44:46 pm »

207,518 tetrahedrite means 207,518 bars of copper. That, on the other hand means 103,759,000 copper coins. That, again, means 2,075,180,000 dwarfbucks.

Enjoy ;)

As for silver, you'll get approximately 41,503 bars of silver. 20,751,500 coins. 2,075,150,000 dwarfbucks.

A total of 4,150,330,000 dwarfbucks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:48:43 pm by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: [1] 2 3 4