Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My map has 200,000 tetrahedrite and nothing else. What should I do?  (Read 9497 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: My map has 200,000 tetrahedrite and nothing else. What should I do?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:21 pm »

Wrong topic?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:36 pm »

I responded to his original question.

He said he embarked on a freezing biome without any plants or trees, and made of a ridiculous amount of tetrahydrite. He has a waterfall that functions 3 months of the year.

He asked what he should do, and mentioned that his dwarves are screwed.

So no. Not wrong thread. :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:03 pm »

You could've just answered the question with one word though ;p

Clue: Begins with m. Ends in a.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:20 pm »

You could've just answered the question with one word though ;p

Clue: Begins with m. Ends in a.

This is actually the best choice. You can melt the water with it AND smelt the tetrahedrite.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 10:25:31 pm »

He also has an aquifer. Unless he embarked on a volcano, he has to dig down to magma.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »

No volcano, sadly.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 08:59:21 am »

Ooh! Goblin farm. You can make it all into cages and trap 200,000 goblins.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 09:44:45 am »

No, sorry, only about 40,000. The huge copper cube'll take up ~166,000 copper bars.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Vrakanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:47 am »

This will be interesting. do the cube, or make a copper aircraft carrier and place it on a massive resevoir of water with only a single copper pipe descending into the earth below to funnel dwarves up and down into the abyss. also, make a magma res. then you will have made the most BA fortress yet.
Must've been a menacing wooden dildo trap.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 12:25:20 pm »

Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Sig'd
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:05 pm »

If you can make silver cages, that brings you up to 80,000.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 01:28:20 pm »

If you can make silver cages, that brings you up to 80,000.

~75,000, with the silver 55x55x20 magma reservoir on top of The Cube.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2012, 02:22:56 pm »

I just had an idea on how to penetrate the aquifer in the freezing biome, but it's dangerous.

Underground water *will* freeze if it is directly exposed to "outside".  An issue that has vexxed my aboveground wells perniciously.

If the freezing only relents for 3 months in the year, you should be able to expose an entrypoint into the aquifer that is outside of your fortress during the "warm" months, which exposes it to the freezing temps outside for the rest of the year. This will freeze the water, allowing you to dig through it, and build constructed walls to hold it back long enough to reach magma and the cavern layer. Beware the creation of dorfcicles though. Don't dig out all of the ice. Stay in the middle, and watch out for the season change.

A big enough shaft, and you should be able to build a magma pump column with traded materials. (Don't think tetrahydrite is magma safe...)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 03:46:16 pm »

Ok, a few updates:

1.  I've had the first migrant wave and now have 19 dorfs.

2.  Copper production has begun, but is still relatively small scale.

3.  I discovered a magma pipe that reaches the first cavern level.

4.  In a freezing biome, it's very easy to penetrate aquifers.  I only lost one miner doing it...

5.  I'm having problems getting enough food.  This is despite a semi - functional farm plot.  If I had not embarked with extra, the dwarves would be starving right now.

I just had an idea on how to penetrate the aquifer in the freezing biome, but it's dangerous.

Underground water *will* freeze if it is directly exposed to "outside".  An issue that has vexxed my aboveground wells perniciously.

If the freezing only relents for 3 months in the year, you should be able to expose an entrypoint into the aquifer that is outside of your fortress during the "warm" months, which exposes it to the freezing temps outside for the rest of the year. This will freeze the water, allowing you to dig through it, and build constructed walls to hold it back long enough to reach magma and the cavern layer. Beware the creation of dorfcicles though. Don't dig out all of the ice. Stay in the middle, and watch out for the season change.

A big enough shaft, and you should be able to build a magma pump column with traded materials. (Don't think tetrahydrite is magma safe...)

I did something very similar to this.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »

Make use of the aquifer.

Build a protected shaft inside the fortress to the aquifer, and build some manually powered screw pumps to force it into a cistern with a floodgate.  On the other side of the flood gate, build a larger growing room.  You can repeatedly and safely flood the growing chamber with the cistern.

Now that you broke through the cavern layer, you can do this.  Part of the room's muddy tiles should be allowed to grow cave moss, floor fungus, random subterene "bushes", and shroom trees. The rest is for farm plots. I usually make a pretty huge room for this, but your mileage may vary. It takes a long time for shroom trees to grow on "dusting of mud" tiles in my experience, which is why I flood repeated until it reaches "pile of mud" depth.  Doesn't effect farming utility, but I noticed trees and random bushes do better on thick deposits.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4