Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whoop.... just spotted a Terraria shout-out to DF  (Read 1332 times)

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
Whoop.... just spotted a Terraria shout-out to DF
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »

Now, somebody's probably seen this before me, but I was playing Terraria, getting on with it, when an NPC arrives. Not just any NPC, but the demolitionist, a crazy ginger bearded maniac.
And guess what his name is?

Urist.

I kinda fell off my seat then....

Just thought I'd point this out.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Whoop.... just spotted a Terraria shout-out to DF
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »

The names are all taken randomly out of a pool of names. I've had a guide named Urist, my friend has had a merchant.

E: Is there some place to inform about/discuss shout-outs that are not yet listed on the wiki? I've noticed some, don't know where to tell about them.

(Dungeons of Dredmor, conflagratory resistance description: "Conflagratory resistance is very useful if you're a witch, or are likely to be working near witches or other flammable objects. Caution: asbestos armour has been determined by the Dwarven Mountainhomes to cause an increase in lung cancer, beard rot, and Strange Moods.")
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:23:31 pm by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:40:17 pm »

Dungeons of Dredmor has a whole grab-bag of references. Pretty much references DF most out of any other thing it does.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:55:31 pm »

Dungeons of Dredmor has a whole grab-bag of references. Pretty much references DF most out of any other thing it does.

Aye. Pretty much everything menaces with spikes of something or another.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:36:28 pm »

I believe the devs explicitly said that they enjoyed the humor style of DF's randomly generated names in a blog post once, and decided to use something similar to it in their game as well.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 12:09:24 am »

I know. It was just the conflagratory resistance that was not mentioned anywhere, so I had to bring that up.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o