Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Least favorite types of stone.  (Read 10481 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
Least favorite types of stone.
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:12:26 pm »

Does anyone have a type of stone that they really hate?
For me its anything brown, I recently embarked in an area that was heavy on the mudstone. Oh look! Poopstone!, the mud stone doors in Mayday are nearly black. I also dislike schist (shitstone) not merely for its look but for the fact that its extremely cheap and there's so much of it that I have trouble getting rid of it before all my tables, chairs, and statues of my mayor melting are all brown. Bluh!
I've come to like microcline. I can use it to line my Dwarf shower haus giving it a sort of Mediterranean tile look, its also good for building wells and setting up levers related to water functions.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Least favorite types of stone.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:15:24 pm »

Beware. you just said you like microcline. Most people on the forums have this hatred of microcline, they dislike the light blue.

I, personally, think it's fine in moderation.

Least favorite? The brown stuff.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »

Ick, Microcline would definitely be my least favorite. Dump it, forbid it, throw it in the magma. I don't like the color.

Give me cobaltite, or kimberlite. Maybe a splash of cinnabar.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:30:40 pm »

Orthoclase.  Why? Because it is so damned abundant, that my attempts to dispose of it end up being mammoth undertakings.

That and andesite(sp? Whatever...)

Mudstone is nasty too.

I turn microline into blocks.  I have taken to building aboveground megastructures, and microline block with kobaltite block make great accent colors to line major hallways with. If you have cinnabar block, which is more rare in my experience, you can put down red carpet in the royal chambers sections.

I don't have to look at the cerulean hue when the microline is stuffed in the stone block stockpile in cheap wooden bins.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 04:59:10 pm »

My defense for Orthoclase is its magma safe so I use it mostly for pump stacks, floodgates, and other components that get submerged in magma.  Also FB bait in magma killing chambers.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:31:53 pm »

Is it bad that i test magma safeness of materials by building a pump out of it pumping magma into a small area then having a migrant operate it?

Bazzak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »

Mudstone, but any of the brown rocks will also do.

I'd rather become an elf than build a fortress into that stuff.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:53 pm »

Anything brown, I try to mod those out if I can.  I do enjoy microcline because I got a new colour and it looks nice in it! It is still a light blue, just more natural.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 05:43:11 pm »

Is it bad that i test magma safeness of materials by building a pump out of it pumping magma into a small area then having a migrant operate it?

Did you determine whether the migrant was magma-safe?

I personally hate schist and orthoclase. Such dull colours, and so much of them around.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:50:37 pm »

You have struck Orthoclase! x26

It's ALWAYS Orthoclase. Giant clusters of worthless, pale yellow stone. I hate it. At least Microcline has a nice cyan color.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »

I'm going to have to agree on orthoclase. Way too common compared to my favorite stones, bauxite and olivine.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 05:56:40 pm »

You have struck Orthoclase! x26

It's ALWAYS Orthoclase. Giant clusters of worthless, pale yellow stone. I hate it. At least Microcline has a nice cyan color.
Agreed. Microcline is fine (if you like the colour, which I do), but getting lots of reports about Orthoclase can be annoying.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:50:43 pm »

I had a fish dissector hauling bolts across cobaltite. I thought my fps went way down and someone was firing.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 06:55:56 pm »

Microcline, no doubt.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 07:39:31 pm »

My least favorite types of stone are things like rutile and pyrolusite. Things that show up on onesie-twosies and that you never notice before your mason makes blocks out of one of them, thus causing you to have TWO useless small numbers of random colored building materials that you have to page through when you're trying to make a wall out of all that stupid andesite you dug up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6