Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Classic pc games on modern phones  (Read 15019 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Classic pc games on modern phones
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 03:07:16 pm »

There's apparently also a port of DOSBox for Android.

Most games need a keyboard so I doubt it if it's viable.
I really should buy a keyboard for this reason, and for Flash games. My tab has a full USB port, I wonder if a keyboard would actually work though..

So basically you'll own a laptop with a touchscreen.

Underpowered laptop with a touchscreen. Yup.

Yeah, you should be able to plug in a keyboard.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 08:55:53 pm »

I really should buy a keyboard for this reason, and for Flash games. My tab has a full USB port, I wonder if a keyboard would actually work though..

Well yeah, but it was a gift and I didn't really pick it out. But it has a dual-core processed and goes way faster with way more space then my old netbook (4GB hard drive), so I am not complaining. But typing is a pain, hence the keyboard wish.
Button 2 I believe. I'm unsure how to flee from combat though.
You can do the virtual back button and choose 'escape unit', or remap the key (mine is now the volume button).

Also, now I can't dispatch ships, so I can't kill the Evil ones. And I have no clue why, I have two landers...I should go search for/make a thread on this game, it is pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:12:52 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 12:10:25 am »

Wait...People actually buy mobile platforms without slide-out keyboards?  Are you insane?  Why would you do that?

I'm quite happy with Zork games on the Android port of Dosbox, thank you very much.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 12:41:42 am »

Wait...People actually buy mobile platforms without slide-out keyboards?  Are you insane?  Why would you do that?

I'm quite happy with Zork games on the Android port of Dosbox, thank you very much.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.boxofrats.zmpp4droid
Good for Interactive Fiction.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:01 pm »

Well yeah, but it was a gift and I didn't really pick it out. But it has a dual-core processed and goes way faster with way more space then my old netbook (4GB hard drive), so I am not complaining. But typing is a pain, hence the keyboard wish.

I'm noticing very few games that will actually use that processing power. My old 8mhz Mac Plus would be offended at Fruit Ninja or Tower Defense and ask if you would please give it some SimEarth so it can do some real computing.

The Samsung Galaxy Player did not come with a keyboard option.

DosBox. What's the preference? aDosBox or anDOSBox? One is not free.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:28:58 pm by BigD145 »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 03:57:03 pm »

I'm noticing very few games that will actually use that processing power. My old 8mhz Mac Plus would be offended at Fruit Ninja or Tower Defense and ask if you would please give it some SimEarth so it can do some real computing.
Yeah, that's true. The things that do use fancy 3D graphics work really well, but there are only one or two programs that I can even find that use it, which is kinda sad.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

Yeah, that's true. The things that do use fancy 3D graphics work really well, but there are only one or two programs that I can even find that use it, which is kinda sad.
[/quote]

I'm not even thinking about the graphics. I'm talking CPU.

Android: Star Traders RPG
It's Star Traders and then some, but without the trading come to think of it. You can't really make money buying and selling. You should probably try the next one instead:

Android: Dark Nova
This one has buying and selling for profit.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 11:51:18 am »

People buy smartphones to do things they're going to need a keyboard for in the first place?

And trying to emulate anything more CPU-intensive than a text adventure on a smartphone would be an excruciating experience even with a Bluetooth keyboard or whatever; anything with less junk in the trunk than a Pentium 4 struggles with DOSBox.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »

People buy smartphones to do things they're going to need a keyboard for in the first place?

And trying to emulate anything more CPU-intensive than a text adventure on a smartphone would be an excruciating experience even with a Bluetooth keyboard or whatever; anything with less junk in the trunk than a Pentium 4 struggles with DOSBox.

The DS version of DOSBox does fairly well and that's with 67mhz. It can't be a 486, but it can do more than text adventure. I expect more from dual core 1ghz Android devices with solid state HDs.

Android: Mega Mall Story
It's not too bad on the SimTower front. I think iOS has a better game in Yoot Tower
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:23:23 pm by BigD145 »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 08:54:30 pm »

Can't forget about GemRB, which makes Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (and soon, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Plancescape Torment) playable on Android: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=91

Has anyone tried this out yet? I'm going to myself when I find my Planescape or Icewind Dale disks. I'm mostly interested if there is the possibility to zoom in as I have a 4' touchscreen and reading text to-scale would be challenging.

If I recall correctly the app comes with the possibility to download the Baldurs Gate 2 demo so you can easily try it outl.

Don't get it from the Android Market - the Market maintainer has disappeared and that version is old.  The latest release is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Other%20Binaries/android/0.7.0/   

The latest release has support for custom fonts.  Instructions are at http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=23686&view=findpost&p=194752

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 10:17:48 am »

Android
Another World is supposed to be coming eventually. It hits iOS first.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:46:59 am by BigD145 »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 01:50:56 am »

Just found out aboout the free AGS remakes of King's Quest 1-3.  There's an Android port of the engine, and it works beautifully so far. AGS is a modern, open-source adventure game system. I think that Gemini Rue is AGS, and several other indie games.

AGS for Android:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=44768.0

Also, for everyone who has a PSP, AGS for PSP:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=43998.0

AGS remakes of King's Quest 1-3 and Quest for Glory 2, free:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

Installing these on my tablet took 10 minutes:
Download the game(s) and the latest build of the Android .apk and config file.
Install the game(s) on your PC.
Make a new folder on your phone/tablet called 'ags' in the 1st or root folder in your filesystem (i.e., the equivalent to the C:\ folder in Windows).
Copy the folder(s) with installed games into the ags folder, one folder per game.
Copy the .apk file to your tablet and run it to install the engine.
Run the AGS app (icon is a blue mug on my tablet), and you should get a list of the games present in the ags folder.
Pick one to play! :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:10:38 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2012, 11:44:25 am »

Android:
Freelancer has made it to Android and it's Dangerous.
Fly around in 3D, warp, make money, buy ships, shoot ships, hire guys for your fleet, ship customization, multiple systems. Yeah it's got that. The screen controls are a bit picky on a 4" screen but so far it's a good equivalent to Freelancer. Try the free version.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:50:39 am by BigD145 »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 08:12:14 am »

Ur-Quan Masters - proabably the best port I've noticed so far.

Wow, that is fantastic, thanks!  Just sat in a massage chair for an hour starting up a new game, good times.

The Civ clones, on the other hand, are just awful.  FreeCiv has always been a massive disappointment to me, whoever is making it managed to make a worse UI than the original, and the Android port is just horrendous.  I desperately want to play Civilization on my phone, but looks like we're going to have to wait for Firaxis to get of their butts and release an official version. 
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:10 am »

Android
Another World is supposed to be coming eventually. It hits iOS first.

Another World is out now.

And Humble Bundle 6 introduced Avadon, which is from a classic designer. Tablets only.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:17:15 am by BigD145 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4