Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Classic pc games on modern phones  (Read 15030 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Classic pc games on modern phones
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 11:10:36 pm »

This is quite the bump but worth it.

Avernum is on Android now. Avadon 2 is coming, at least to PC. I'm not sure about Android.

But good news everybody. Exile can be played on DosBox Turbo using a Windows 95/98 lite iso. Just look up "win98lite dosbox turbo" or "win9x dosbox turbo" OR--> Fallout 1 and 2 work (instructions at the No Mutants Allowed forums). DosBox Turbo costs some money, but it's worth it. The Exile series is free.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:19:15 pm by BigD145 »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »

I have emulators for my Galaxy S3 (which provide countless hours of entertainment, due to the nature of having PS1, SNES, GBA, Genesis and N64 games on a tiny flash card, with only the price of the emulator itself to account for), but will have to check out DosBox Turbo, as I've been feeling an itch to play Fallout 1/2/Tactics on my phone.

Avernum being $9.99 is a bit steep for a game that's just a port though... and has continually been ported since its inception in 1995. I understand that they're catering to nostalgia, but find it a bit funny they can continue charging money for ports, for a game that is well over half my age, with little added so as to not spoil the authenticity of it. But if people pay for it... I suppose they don't really have to come out with new games, then.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:34:43 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Classic pc game Android ports
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 11:33:10 pm »

Telnet is always an option with ASCII games, even DF.

To elaborate on this, Dwarf Fortress allows output through ncurses, like Cataclysm. You have to change PRINT_MODE in init.txt to TEXT, but the surrounding comments say that this is only for Linux and Mac users. From that point there's apparently a way to log into the console remotely from another terminal and then play the game as if it were running locally, but that's where my knowledge on the matter ends.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 11:44:53 pm »

I prefer using my DS or PSP for emulation of older consoles. Better battery life and hardware buttons in a controller scheme. PS1 emulation is pretty damn solid on PSP.

Avernum is a port, but a fancy one. It's a bit better than re-releasing games on PSN or Wii market since it's a visual upgrade and different game engine. Avadon is the new game from Spiderweb.

Oh, and if you didn't know from the Curses subforum, LCS has been ported to Android.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:46:57 pm by BigD145 »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2013, 01:35:57 am »

Telnet is always an option with ASCII games, even DF.

To elaborate on this, Dwarf Fortress allows output through ncurses, like Cataclysm. You have to change PRINT_MODE in init.txt to TEXT, but the surrounding comments say that this is only for Linux and Mac users. From that point there's apparently a way to log into the console remotely from another terminal and then play the game as if it were running locally, but that's where my knowledge on the matter ends.
for windows you have to install the telnet client and server windows features manually so its still native support i just never tried.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 02:59:03 am »

I should probably check into screwing around more on my PSP, but I have a fat (original) one on some long forgotten custom firmware so I could use emulators... chances are that it's so horridly out of date, and behind specs, that my best bet is just to continue playing on my phone. I plan at some point to get a decent tablet, with the Asus Transformer Infinity TF701T slated to come out sometime in November, as a way to bridge my mobile gaming between my desktop and my phone.

I generally have my phone as a portable gaming device when I'm at work anyway, so it's fairly easy to scrape by with a power outlet and a bluetooth controller. While I have one, the Nyko Playpad Pro is not something I would personally suggest to others, as it can be very finicky with certain games/emulators, and the Nyko Playground software that you can download from the Google Play store keeps getting worse in terms of usability. Certain emulators pick it up just fine (ePSXe finds the trigger buttons, but not the joystick, while Mupen64 AE registers everything), while others do not. This used to be resolvable by setting buttons in the Playground app, but it currently attempts to update the firmware of the controller, "succeeds," and continues to attempt doing so each time I attempt to create a new profile for my buttons.

On another note, for those who are MUD/MOO inclined, the BlowTorch MUD Client is the one I've had the most success with as far as connecting to HellMOO/InfernoMOO. Onscreen buttons make for decent macros, and I compensated for the lack of screen space by using a bluetooth keyboard as well. Took some getting used to, but well worth the price of free.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 10:33:44 am »

I have an ASUS MemoPad, not the new HD version. DosBox and SCUMMVM work well on it. For the true bridge to desktop, if you have internet, there's TeamViewer. It's a screen share program. Run it on all devices involved. It supports multiple monitors, so you can switch to different desktop monitors from Android. You can just flat out play DF. I could be in another country and still have access to my computer at home on a phone or tablet. Just make the DF window the right size, don't squeeze the desktop into the Android screen, and center it over DF. Bluetooth keyboard with F keys is a good idea.

Aardwolf RPG is a text-based MUD on Android. It's free. I use HackersKeyboard for onscreen because it has arrow keys.

Bluetooth itself is very finicky. I have to remove profiles and start from scratch.

Reslekan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 07:39:20 pm »

Theme Hospital works well enough on my Galaxy S2, thanks to Corsix-TH:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.armedpineapple.cth&hl=en_GB

A port of the amazing PC/Mac/Linux highres remake currently in development:

http://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/

You do of course need a copy of Theme Hospital to use these, but the game's dirt cheap on GOG.com and an absolute gem worthy of a buy anyway.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2013, 03:59:18 pm »

I have Teamviewer for my phone, the main issue being the comparatively large amount of data it uses relative to my current work connection availability, which is generally anywhere from 1-3 bars (usually on the 1 bar side) and 1X/3G/4G, usually on the 3G side. It makes browsing the internet bearable, but the occasional lack of response from my computer and 4 seconds per frame if playing full screen or more detailed games.  They do not have an employee available wifi, unfortunately.

It's generally easier for me to have a repository of games pre-loaded on whatever device I have handy than relying on an internet connection that may not work, and the larger screen size of a tablet (which actually has a better resolution than my monitor does) aong with the more powerful specs would cover my off desktop time, with the ability to tether it to my phone if a wifi connection is not available.

At east Teamviewer makes it easy to remotely administor any servers/programs I happen to be running, but it's a far cry from good for gaming.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 07:13:26 pm »

TeamViewer is fine over wifi. I would never use it over 4G because I don't have 4G. All my Android devices are wifi only. It's not that hard to find wifi. I certainly don't rely on TeamViewer. I have 4-5 screens of applications, probably half of which are games. DosBox and SCUMMVM alone are a couple dozen games.

4FPS is pretty moot if you're playing DF. Adventure mode cares not and Fortress mode cares little. You don't need to react instantly when you're computer is doing 100FPS and you're only seeing 1/10th of that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]