Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Pain tolerance; Males vs females  (Read 13834 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Pain tolerance; Males vs females
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »

the majority still ask for, and receive, pain relieving drugs in modern hospitals

Depends where you are.  I was born in England, as were my younger brother and sister, without my mother requiring (or being offered) any painkillers whatsoever.  My youngest brother was born in the USA, and my mother was given painkillers, which she claims she needed because the doctors were incompetent.  I don't claim to be an accurate judge (I'm biased in favor of England, because it's better), and it may be worth noting that my youngest brother was the heaviest of the four of us.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 03:46:45 pm »

I don't get people who criticise doctors :d

Also, considering the DF part of this thread has already been covered, shouldn't it be locked or something?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »

slight agreement with Loud Whispers than a hypocritical reply.

as far as getting limbs chopped off goes, it would hurt less to have the entirety of your arm removed violently, then it would to have a cut going from shoulder to wrist.

the reason for this is that the skin has most of your bodies pain receptors, while organs have quite few. this may not seem logical considering that organs seem to hurt more if injured, but that is because they are really ever injured normally.

so overall, from a DF standpoint (assuming DF is semi-accurate on this) multiple skin and fat injuries would hurt a hell of a lot more than a missing limb.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 04:38:49 pm »

Unlike members of other species, female dwarves have an extremely high pain threshold compared to the men. Mostly because they use their babies to protect them.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 05:07:21 pm »

Unlike members of other species, female dwarves have an extremely high pain threshold compared to the men. Mostly because they use their babies to protect them.
The hidden factor :D

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:57 pm »

as far as getting limbs chopped off goes, it would hurt less to have the entirety of your arm removed violently, then it would to have a cut going from shoulder to wrist.

the reason for this is that the skin has most of your bodies pain receptors, while organs have quite few. this may not seem logical considering that organs seem to hurt more if injured, but that is because they are really ever injured normally.

so overall, from a DF standpoint (assuming DF is semi-accurate on this) multiple skin and fat injuries would hurt a hell of a lot more than a missing limb.

i think THIS is probably the actual explanation for the phenomenon i was witnessing.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 02:10:49 am »

i think THIS is probably the actual explanation for the phenomenon i was witnessing.

my theory is based on DF being semi-accurate to RL. soooo maybe. also, here is a thought for you. fat in DF acts like natural armor, however heat damage is primarily via fat melting. so a military of fatasses would be good against regular enemies. but if a dragon, or anything with fire comes, your military is fucked.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 02:34:03 am »

If you take the scenario at a given point in time, then yes. However because the nerve ends are actually exposed completely with a limb severance as opposed to still being partly shielded by any remaining flesh/bone around them, in reality severed nerve endings tend to be stimulated more and as such send more "pain" signals then those still somewhat shielded. (Of course the type/exact location of the long cut would have a large effect on exactly how much pain it caused.

Also on the female/male pain tolerance levels all of the college professors that I have talked to have said the same thing, that in general males have a greater pain tolerance then females except during childbirth when there are so many crazy chemicals in the female bloodstream. Note that this is just in general, and the overall variance in individuals is still very large. Think of it as saying that the male average pain tolerance is a 55% and the female a 45% when the range caused by individuals goes from a 15% to an 85%.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 02:59:56 am »

Citing mythbusters, women averaged a higher pain tolerance over all (ep 142, No pain no gain). That said, I can't remember if they compared pain tolerances of pre and post pregnancy women; given pain is rated on a subjective scale, 10 being the worst pain imaginable, this would seem to be a major oversight.

Of course women who have experienced what has been described as akin to crapping a large grapefruit or small watermelon (my friend was training to be a midwife at the time, she actually just gave birth last week too, and thats pretty well verbatim) will have a greater tolerance to pain, just as a man who has experienced several kicks to the dangly bits will be. The real test is; what is the difference between male and female 20-somethings who have *not* experienced either event?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

The Axiom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 03:33:33 am »

Bay12 Forums have to be the only place on the planet that a topic such as this can have both in-game and real world related discussion going on at the same time without deteriorating into a massive cesspit of verbal diarrhea.

I am somewhat surprised and in awe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 06:03:54 am »

I am somewhat surprised and in awe.

Tis the magic of the internet.

Also, I believe the mythbuster guys did test women who had given birth, and they tended to fare better (albeit slightly. But still noticeable).

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 06:50:40 am »

From a real world injury point-of-view I can state that for the first few seconds that I did actually feel pain before the adrenaline and such turned on and the pain turned off when I had my hand mangled, it felt no worse than smacking the hand with a hammer.  I've had more painful headaches.  Now, after the tinyalysis surgery to remove scar tissue from around the tendons a year later (butchered spelling, I'm sure) THAT was brutally painful, easily the worst pain I have ever felt, until I finally got on top of it with pain meds and got to sleep.  The next day I was fine, but the pain the night after the scar removal surgery was atrocious.

Could really make an argument either way for internal pain, but I think the two are differentiable because one was crude blunt trauma followed by a fight-or-flight reaction, and the other was clean surgery with no fight-or-flight adrenal reaction.

For me there was no difference after the first 24 hours after each incident, but the pain levels were staggeringly more intense after the surgery than after the accident.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:01 am »

From a real world injury point-of-view I can state that for the first few seconds that I did actually feel pain before the adrenaline and such turned on and the pain turned off when I had my hand mangled, it felt no worse than smacking the hand with a hammer.  I've had more painful headaches.  Now, after the tinyalysis surgery to remove scar tissue from around the tendons a year later (butchered spelling, I'm sure) THAT was brutally painful, easily the worst pain I have ever felt, until I finally got on top of it with pain meds and got to sleep.  The next day I was fine, but the pain the night after the scar removal surgery was atrocious.

Could really make an argument either way for internal pain, but I think the two are differentiable because one was crude blunt trauma followed by a fight-or-flight reaction, and the other was clean surgery with no fight-or-flight adrenal reaction.

For me there was no difference after the first 24 hours after each incident, but the pain levels were staggeringly more intense after the surgery than after the accident.

and thats the issue, adrenaline. not simulated in dwarf fortress except maybe with martial trances. however some arena testing showed more pain resulting from an entire arm of bruised fat and skin, then from a cut off arm. still not too conclusive due to possible randomness, but ill keep working at it.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 01:10:52 pm »

df is good a modeling psychological shock, so often massive injurys take a few minutes to sink in.

i can tell you that things like broken bones,mangled fingers, burns dont hurt at first, but once your out of danger your body say now that was a dumb move have some pain.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 03:36:15 pm »

By my experience burns don't even hurt.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5