Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Pain tolerance; Males vs females  (Read 13859 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Pain tolerance; Males vs females
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »

By my experience burns don't even hurt.
If the nerves get burnt/some damage/a lot of damage, your nerves will constantly send messages to your brain telling it that your whatever is still on fire. Which is why burns, burn, even when not doing so.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 09:55:39 pm »

As far as DF goes, and according to the raws, there is absolutely no difference between males and females besides which one produces new mouths to feed, causing various forms of mayhem in the process, and the other is comparatively less likely to be the doom of your fortress by not giving birth whilst on their way to pull the lever to seal the caverns and horrible toxin-excreting forgotten beast that is heading right for the fort.
The act of giving birth in DF does not affect the mother besides cancelling her job to pick up the baby. It would seem babies just appear out of thin air on the floor where their mother is standing.

Oh, and beards. According to the vanilla raws men have beards and women do not. I honestly don't think hair is taken into account during combat, though, and it definitely doesn't have any pain receptors.

However, this is completely unreliable information when regarding mods that affect dwarves in any way. Genesis for instance has definite, though slight, differences between males and females of the same type of dwarf, including genitalia and attributes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2012, 12:56:28 am »

By my experience burns don't even hurt.
If the nerves get burnt/some damage/a lot of damage, your nerves will constantly send messages to your brain telling it that your whatever is still on fire. Which is why burns, burn, even when not doing so.
When touching a soldering iron my skin started looking really nasty, but I didn't feel anything. Not the only burn I've recieved, but the one I remember best.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2012, 01:00:42 pm »

When touching a soldering iron my skin started looking really nasty, but I didn't feel anything. Not the only burn I've recieved, but the one I remember best.
My amateur guess says your nerves were spared then :P

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:26 pm »

My amateur guess says your nerves were spared then :P

Some folks are just wired different.

Some people can't taste certain tastes, others are colorblind to different degrees.  Some folks hear or see better than what we consider to be normal range hearing or vision.  I knew someone in college that had no sweat glands and would walk around in eskimo weather with high winds in a windbreaker and not feel cold.  Put him in temperatures above 75F and he would overheat, since the only way for him to lose heat was from breathing, radiating heat, and whatever cold stuff he ate or drank.  Then there are reaction times, etc.  Everyone's a bit different, some more different than others.

However, anyone with an inability to feel pain on the skin had best start doing VSE's (visual self exams) on a regular basis, or they will likely end up dying from a nasty infection on the bottom of the foot or on the back or somewhere else not regularly visible.

One of the instructors at a middle school I attended died because he developed an infection due to the nails holding his shoe soles together sticking up through the soles into his feet, and never knew it until it landed him in the hospital.  His condition by this point was so bad they couldn't save him.  He was diabetic and mobile but had lost most of the sensation in his feet, and had not started doing VSE's.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:04 am »

Maybe I SHOULD start that... Even though I can feel, most things that others would view as painful don't feel like anything to me. Burns, for one, or when I once stepped right on a few upright nails, nailed through a 2 by 4 (no shoes/socks). They went quite deep, but I felt nothing. It was an odd feeling, raising my foot and noticing three nails where my foot had just been.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »

Given that dwarves deliver babies so inconspicuously that they can sleep through the process, there are two possibilities.

1.  Dwarven women are severely lacking in pain receptors, making them superior soldiers.
2.  The dwarven birthing process is wholly unlike our own.  Given the spore like nature of dwarven impregnation and dwarves propensity to grow beards, I'd say new dwarves settle in the hair of dwarven women and mature until they simply grow too heavy and fall out.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:46 pm »

I have plenty of experiences where friends/myself have behaved strangely towards pain.
A lanky friend of mine hit a bump on a quad-bike, and jammed his fingers under the front wheels breaking all of them. He didn't realize till the next day when he woke up with a very load ache in his disfigured fingers.
Indeed.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

Maybe I SHOULD start that... Even though I can feel, most things that others would view as painful don't feel like anything to me. Burns, for one, or when I once stepped right on a few upright nails, nailed through a 2 by 4 (no shoes/socks). They went quite deep, but I felt nothing. It was an odd feeling, raising my foot and noticing three nails where my foot had just been.

You might also want to speak to a doctor about different medical conditions that can begin presenting as loss of sensation in extremities.  Diabetis is only one.  I'm not going to frighten you with other possibilities, because a doctor would be able to quickly rule them out.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »

He he, I know what you mean, accidentally stabbed my hand with a scalpel once - DEEP. Felt nothing. Huh.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]