Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Pain tolerance; Males vs females  (Read 13832 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Pain tolerance; Males vs females
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 04:35:53 pm »

Most believe this is to protect them from going insane during childbirth, but that's irrelevant to this post.
And another study has shown that childbirth is only a fraction as painful as getting kicked in the ☼gold nuggets☼
a study performed by dr fake for fullashit university with a grant from Santa.
Santa : Most influential scientist of the 22nd century

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 04:38:29 pm »

Ooorr...

KICKED IN THE NUTS, FOR ‼SCIENCE‼

[Count Rugen]"So, let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?"[/Count Rugen]

Back on topic, I've watched a number of dwarfs walk, or crawl away from limb loss and survive. The amount of blood lost in the injury might be connected?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 04:46:01 pm »

Ooorr...

KICKED IN THE NUTS, FOR ‼SCIENCE‼

[Count Rugen]"So, let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?"[/Count Rugen]

Back on topic, I've watched a number of dwarfs walk, or crawl away from limb loss and survive. The amount of blood lost in the injury might be connected?

ive seen this happen alot too, but when they keep fighting instead of crawling away, they almost always tend to be females.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 04:47:40 pm »

How many males/females do you enlist into the military? What are the extent of their injuries? How much training do they get?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 04:53:52 pm »

How many males/females do you enlist into the military? What are the extent of their injuries? How much training do they get?
every dwarf with a combat skill who shows up gets drafted. I'm not sure what the ratio is, as im not at home now, but ALL four of my legendary fighters are females. They receive year round training although there's rarely more than 3 months or so between actual combat. Injuries run the gamut.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »

every dwarf with a combat skill who shows up gets drafted. I'm not sure what the ratio is, as im not at home now, but ALL four of my legendary fighters are females. They receive year round training although there's rarely more than 3 months or so between actual combat. Injuries run the gamut.
You're drawing a connection between the sexes and legendary skills, if female dorfs were born with legendary biting or something, then I'd say there is something significant here :P

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 05:19:07 pm »

im not drawing a connection.
I'm theorizing one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 05:21:46 pm »

im not drawing a connection.
I'm theorizing one.

That's what I said :P
(Please bare in mind I wasn't saying you were proposing that as fact without evidence)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »

Actually the higher pain tolerance of women is a debunked myth. As studies such as this one http://www.jpain.org/article/S1526-5900(03)00559-5/abstract indicate, there is either no discernable difference or a higher pain tolerance among men when cultural expectations are controlled for. This brief article (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-04/cfta-hpt040903.php) directly refers to numerous studies citing that men have higher pain tolerances than women.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »

Actually the higher pain tolerance of women is a debunked myth. As studies such as this one http://www.jpain.org/article/S1526-5900(03)00559-5/abstract indicate, there is either no discernable difference or a higher pain tolerance among men when cultural expectations are controlled for. This brief article (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-04/cfta-hpt040903.php) directly refers to numerous studies citing that men have higher pain tolerances than women.
ok, i went and read that second article and OH MY GOD! i dont dispute the findings, but SHIT it seems like they were kinda irresponsible with their test subjects. "Subjects were given a monetary incentive to leave their hand in a bowl of freezing cold water" How many greedy test subjects with rent comin up fast left their hand in long enough to cause nerve damage?

Leif

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »

I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
Indeed.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »

I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
except in DF, the "I'll bit your legs off" threat is serious.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:12 pm »

Men = Feel more Pain but more Tolerant to it.
Females = Feel less but less Tolerant to it.
In Reality.

In DF, its Interchangeable.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »

I don't think Vanilla has different stats for males and females. Sometimes you just see weird trends.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 09:38:58 pm »

Men = Feel more Pain but more Tolerant to it.
Females = Feel less but less Tolerant to it.
In Reality.

In DF, its Interchangeable.
well, according to both my incorrect info AND the seemingly correct info presented in the study, this is simply not true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5