Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Will another DF release ever come out?  (Read 9087 times)

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will another DF release ever come out?
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:09:49 pm »

The last release was back in March of last year, and the releases before that we're all 1 to 3 releases a month. I know it's still being worked on of course, but I'm curious why there haven't been releases in the last several months.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: Will another DF release ever come out?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:13:48 pm »

This is the big one. Its almost between the scale of 40d and the 2010 version. So many new things, like vampires and werebeasts, are being added. Syndromes are getting overhauled, too. Heck, there would normaly be a few version just having the ability to change your body vi syndromes, and we are getting a lot more than that!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Bluehotdog5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:31:02 pm »

sounds awesome, is there a release date set?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:33:40 pm »

If I recall correctly, Toady said something about the release being on Jan. 15 at the very best. But nothing is set in stone.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 11:41:58 pm »

I know you weren't around for the wait between 40d and 31, but what happened then and what's happening now is that Toady is trying to do a lot all at once.  He's making a rather large update right now so it's taking him a long time to get the update out the door.  There's a reason Toady doesn't release deadlines.

Just for reference:
     DF 0.28.181.40d (September 8, 2008)
     DF 0.31.01 (April 1, 2010)
     1 year, 6 months, 25 days

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:58:23 pm »

Yeah, I pretty much think so.

(In reply to the subject.)

Then we'll see minor version releases incrementing fairly rapidly, as some... unintended and undocumented feature gets revealed in 0.??.01 by the ravenous playing hordes and sends Toady back to the code to make 0.??.02 to 'modify' said behaviour more to his original intentions.  Rinse, repeat.  You all that are complaining that there's not been a new version out for ages will be end up complaining that you can't get stuck into any version because another one is bound to come out 12-24 hours later, and that you can't wait for version 1.0.0 to come out...  (Personally, I think 1.0.15 is going to be about right, by arbitrarily extrapolating from the relevant historic forerunner cases.)

Basically, as it was before, as it will be again.  And that's not counting the cries of "I can't get the <newfeature> to work properly!", even though it does essentially do so but there's some doubt over the interface to poke and prod it with.  And I see nothing wrong with the basic on/off/modify/improve flow that I postulate, before you ask.  What we have is a Creator who is balancing (more or less correctly, though there are people who would argue the balance is tipped wrong in either/both directions) the almost mutually-exclusive design paradigms of perfectionism and continual development.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 12:14:13 am »

Oh, here's the development log.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

The release schedule for a while is going to be like this:

-major feature release
 -series of quick minor bugfixes
 -large bugfix release
 -series of quick minor bugfixes
 -major feature release
 -etc.

You can get the general idea of the major releases on this page:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Mind you, Toady tends to end up putting a fair bit more in than he plans. For example, Release 1 is the upcoming thing, which was planned to have "Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities". That got worked on, of course, but better towns led to sewers and dungeons to make the towns more interesting, dungeons led to werewolves and vampires to make the dungeons more interesting, and werewolves and vampires and whatnot necessitated the new "interaction" system, described by some as the first steps toward an eventual magic system in DF. The gods alone know what might arise from villager schedules and 3D veins for the next major thing. I predict magma carp and angry mobs that target someone other than you for once.

Oh, and the major bugfixes involve fixing a good number of the long-standing issues that can be found on the bugtracker:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view_all_bug_page.php

Both major feature and major bugfix releases will also include a handful of new animals, usually accompanied by some new feature.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:36:57 am »

I started playing df on the most recent version and I'm sort of looking fowards to the unexpected bugs which will come out in the new version.

"Oh noes! my dwarf has been bitten by a Weredwarf? well at least it's better then the weregnome infestation we had last year."

Irenices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:46:18 am »

Think he's said it will be in early february at latest, but a jan 15th release would be nice.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 02:34:35 am »

:O

Possibility that I can has new DF tomorrow?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 02:37:47 am »

It's not coming out tomorrow.  Toady hasn't finished optimization and map maintenance, and he hasn't even started sponsorship animals and SDL stuff.  We might see a January release but don't hold your breath.  Toady has reiterated multiple times that it's likely to slip to February.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:02:26 am »

There is a lesson to be learned from this thread.
And that lesson is that if you enjoy DF, you better be ready for loooooooooooong waits between content updates. At least the various bugfix updates are done faster, but yeah.

My money is on halfway of February. Let's say.... 17th.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 06:10:50 am »

I'm anticipating halfway through february at the earliest, early April at the very latest but probably not much later than early or mid March. Depends on how much time he puts into the sponsorship animals mostly, I'm guessing a about a week or less for optimization and a few days each for the rest of map stuff and the entirety of SDL stuff. Sponsorship animals could be similarly quick but Toady's a lot more likely to find a tangent to work on with them.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 09:58:38 am »

Yeah.. I really don't see it coming out any earlier than 2014, with bugfixes for the battleships of the damned incorrectly spawning in the netherworld coming out about late Feb 2015.
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 02:58:51 pm »

Dwarf Fortress : Coming to you sometime from today to the 41st millennium :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5