Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Will another DF release ever come out?  (Read 9082 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will another DF release ever come out?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 05:34:09 pm »

Personally, I preferred the 1D version.

I wish there was a pen-and-paper version of DF!
Riddle of Steel should get the feel of combat pretty close.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 09:16:10 pm »

Toady makes big releases punctuated by smaller bugfix releases. The bugs in this next release are going to be horrendous. I feel it in my gullet. After that, I suspect Toady is going to work on a host of major features that will keep the next release out of our hands for another year, I expecticate.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »

Toady makes big releases punctuated by smaller bugfix releases. The bugs in this next release are going to be horrendous. I feel it in my gullet. After that, I suspect Toady is going to work on a host of major features that will keep the next release out of our hands for another year, I expecticate.
I predict that they will also be some of the most amusing bugs we've gotten in a while.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:00 pm »

I predict that they will also be some of the most amusing bugs we've gotten in a while.

I suppose this is one of the few communities out there that like their bugs almost as much as their correct gameplay.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »

After that, I suspect Toady is going to work on a host of major features that will keep the next release out of our hands for another year, I expecticate.

I dunno, I get the feeling that after DF2010 and DF2012 I think Toady's going to start being more careful about how much he tries to fit in one major release.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:07 pm »

I suppose this is one of the few communities out there that like their bugs almost as much as their correct gameplay.

To be fair, most communities are not Baytwelve.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 11:38:09 pm »

The last release was back in March of last year, and the releases before that we're all 1 to 3 releases a month. I know it's still being worked on of course, but I'm curious why there haven't been releases in the last several months.

You just haven't been playing for enough years.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 11:44:33 pm »

After that, I suspect Toady is going to work on a host of major features that will keep the next release out of our hands for another year, I expecticate.

I dunno, I get the feeling that after DF2010 and DF2012 I think Toady's going to start being more careful about how much he tries to fit in one major release.

No he won't.  He promised us he'd do exactly that when 31 came out and a year and a half after 40d.  He'll try, but he'll fail.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 12:30:49 am »

Prob'ly the most amusing since DF2010's first release.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:21 am »

This happens every release.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:13 am »

To be fair, most communities are not Baytwelve.
To be fair, most bugs aren't dwarf fortress bugs.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 06:09:17 am »

In the grim future of Dwarf Fortress in the 41st millennia, there are only Duke Nukem Forever-release schedules.

In the grim past of 1050, there is only socks.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 07:19:40 am »

In the grim future of Dwarf Fortress in the 41st millennia, there are only Duke Nukem Forever-release schedules.

Urist took them all. Socks for the sock mood!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 09:52:33 am »

I'd actually quite like to see a "hoarding mood" feature in the game.  Urist McObsessive goes around and 'claims'[1] some item of obsession.  Be it socks, roasts, a particular kind of stone block, masterwork axes, certain kinds of offal/bodypart...  During his off-time (or even actually neglecting his usual work duties to fulfill his craving) he collects a suitable item and stores it away in his room (if he has one) and further in a suitable container (if he has one).  As items accumulate, so do good thoughts.  But the obsession requires a degree of maintenance, and the items may not be his to keep (and, what's more, some items may rot, or otherwise be damaged), so whenever they're taken away (or otherwise lost) there are bad thoughts.  As there might be bad thoughts by everyone who suddenly finds themselves sockless, or unable to enjoy their favourite meal or method of gobbo killing.

Although it should be more specific like silk socks, tallow roasts or steel(!!!) axes, nine times out of ten, so that the fortress gets a decent chance not to need to engage in a viscious war of possessions with its resident nutcase every time. :)

Anyway, idle thought there.  Doubtless it's already a DF Suggestions thing, from times past!

[1] Not the same as 'owning', but might have greater or lesser effect than standard ownership, and work in parallel so that there could be something technically owned by one dwarf but being hoarded (or sought for hoarding) by another...

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 10:44:22 am »

I know it's a bit late, but aren't duke nukem forever release date jokes about six months too late?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5