Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making Exciting Arenas  (Read 1525 times)

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making Exciting Arenas
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:15:11 am »

I wanted to know if siegers and other attackers have skills just like our dwarfs. For example say I place 5 fairly well equipped goblins (basically whatever they had when they came) in a pit. Then instead of just throwing everything at them I start with weak things and move my way up. Will they get stronger, eventually surviving against very tough things and making it all the more interesting when I unleash gladitorial dwarves upon them (or FB's)?

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: Making Exciting Arenas
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:41:05 am »

Goblins elves and humans , along with trolls (and a few other things depending on the mod) have the [CAN_LEARN] tag meaning they can become legendary in skill much the same as a dwarf. THe leader of a siege is generally a weapon master of some sort, and thier color will reflect that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:52:56 am »

Skilled soldiers of all races will normally make quick work of most FB's. That's why I'm overjoyed when I see a steel one :3

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:19:11 am »

Goblins (and anything that CAN_LEARN) gain experience just like dwarves, it's not uncommon for one goblin to luck his way through a trap corridor and then come out the literal incarnation of war. You could also use danger rooms to turn them into murder gods that much faster.

Naraceaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:36:56 am »

Awesome I might even make multiple arenas and place one enemy in each, train each one and give them their own little stories in my head.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:11:14 am »

Awesome I might even make multiple arenas and place one enemy in each, train each one and give them their own little stories in my head.
Thats horrible! You cant do that! you Have to tell Us their stories. :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:37:34 am »

Thats horrible! You cant do that! you Have to tell Us their stories. :)
With a lovely new thread+flashy title :P

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:37:07 pm »

You can danger-room them too--remember training spears not spikes.  As long as they aren't trolls (who'll break you machinery), and keep their armor, you'll have super-legendary goblins in no time.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Prologue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 05:39:23 pm »

Danger rooms. I'm doing this right now with my captured humans and elves. Pitting goblins and watching them fight is awesome.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:39:51 pm »

in genesis i remember training a bunch of sylvan elves with danger rooms, then releasing 3-5 every time a massive siege came, cut down the siegers numbers.

in retrospect this just further proves that anything can be weaponized in DF

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:06:20 pm »

You can danger-room them too--remember training spears not spikes.  As long as they aren't trolls (who'll break you machinery), and keep their armor, you'll have super-legendary goblins in no time.
REMEMBER TO GIVE THEM A BREAK.

They will get exhausted.

Geez, danger room training enemy soldiers is only like, the EASIEST thing to do. All it takes is a helluva lot of mechanics, dorfs, planning... Come to think of it, it wasn't very easy :C

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 09:44:10 am »

REMEMBER TO GIVE THEM A BREAK.

They will get exhausted.

Geez, danger room training enemy soldiers is only like, the EASIEST thing to do. All it takes is a helluva lot of mechanics, dorfs, planning... Come to think of it, it wasn't very easy :C

If you mess up the deadliness factor of a dodge trap you can train invaders by accident.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:48:34 am »

I don't do normal dodge traps, instead I build a winding passage with dodge traps that has gaps and holes with a very long fall or magma (or both) underneath.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 11:15:31 am »

I once captured a cyclops and fed it several hundred stripped goblins over the course of a few days. The goblins didn't even try to fight back when released from their cages in the arena room. They just milled around like scared dwarves with no escape route while the cyclops wrestled them to death one at a time. It was interesting watching the cyclop's skills and stats increase with Runesmith. Also, after every batch of goblins, the recaptured cyclops was more massive. It started out weighing about 15000 units, and by the time I got bored of playing with it, it had increased in mass to over 22000 units.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 11:22:20 am »

If you mess up the deadliness factor of a dodge trap you can train invaders by accident.

But unless you've designed the worse dodge trap ever, you won't be training several siege worths of goblins to legendary :p
Pages: [1] 2