Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgenned wars in DF2010?  (Read 2001 times)

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worldgenned wars in DF2010?
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »

I played 40d for a while, but never got around to installing the DF, so I did that and genned a world with 550 years of history.  It's kind of neat that there seem to be way bigger populations now, but apparently there's been some kind of Geneva convention since 40d and wars are much less interesting.  I liked reading Legends accounts of wars where the attackers would destroy or conquer towns they successfully attacked (along with descriptions of elves stringing people up/feeding them to beasts, humans taking slaves, the conquerer establishing new government, the peasantry fleeing into the forest, etc.), and then in adventure mode you could find, e.g. forest retreats owned by humans and abandoned ruins and so forth.  But now it seems that the only thing anyone does when they win battles at towns is to "pillage" them, which doesn't destroy the town, or get rid of its populace, or cause it to change sides, so the war just goes on and on and on.  For example, there's a war in my new world that has been going on for 150 years, and is basically just 80 repetitions of 1) goblin army attacks forest retreat, is completely uncontested and then 2) pillages forest retreat.  I mean, dude, just kill it with magma already.

Is it really not possible to get interesting descriptions of wars anymore, or did I just get really unlucky?  Are the old 40d war mechanics ever coming back?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Worldgenned wars in DF2010?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:47:43 pm »

I'd say wait for the update :]

Though honestly, I've seen religious wars, ethical wars and what-not between. Look for the heroes and stuff ^-^

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:29:47 pm »

Well, yeah, there's always an ethical reason given for the war, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just a boring pillaging and re-pillaging of the same forest retreat, 80 times.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:12:43 pm »

Well, yeah, there's always an ethical reason given for the war, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just a boring pillaging and re-pillaging of the same forest retreat, 80 times.

Hmh. If someone could do some science on this.....

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:31:12 am »

I don't think it's an accident of random generation (unless the decision to pillage rather than sack/conquer is random, but I haven't noticed anything other than pillaging) - the war was the goblin civ against the specific elven government of the forest retreat, not against the elf civ in general, so if they were going to attack something it had to be that forest retreat.  It's just not clear to me why the war wasn't over after the first time that happened.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:04:30 am »

rufio, we are actually looking for an updated save detailing this exact scenario of an uncontested site being repeatedly pillaged.

Please zip up your DF/data/save/region folder and upload it to http://dffd.wimbli.com and post a link in Bug #3802.