Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I get a body off the bottom of a river?  (Read 4432 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
How do I get a body off the bottom of a river?
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:17:56 pm »

I had a dwarf fall to his death through no fault of my own (for a change) and he landed* in the middle of my river.

*He blew apart.  Seriously.  His head landed 15 tiles from his right foot, and I have no clue where his left arm is.

Due to this being a canyon with completely vertical walls, the body is inaccessible.  Additionally, the river is considered pressurized due to a large waterfall pouring into it.

He was a fresh migrant with no friends and was content when he died, so no tantrum spiral however I don't want the ghost.  Am I just going to have to engrave a slab?

Also, a berserk failed mood carpenter (WHAT!?!?) was rampaging through the dining room scaring dwarves...   until a miner walked up to him and caved his skill in.  To be fair, this is the same miner who killed two GCS and an alligator himself and lived to tell the tale.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: How do I get a body off the bottom of a river?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:23:08 pm »

Any reason you don't want to just engrave a slab? It works just as well as a coffin. I prefer coffins myself, but I don't bother retrieving corpses if it means a metric ton of difficulty. I have plenty of corpses to fill coffins with as it is...

If you're really bound and determined, you could wait until it's winter and dam the river (if you're in a freezing biome). If you're in a biome that doesn't freeze, you're going to have to use more complex methods.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »

I'd rather have the body, but if it's impractical I will engrave a slab.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:34:10 pm »

Yeah, nothing you can do beyond magma/freeze damming. So just make a slab and engrave unless you have plans for the dam later;p

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:44:19 pm »

Bah. Use the Moses effect to dam the river above the waterfall with a raised drawbridge. This will allow the river to drain and give you access to the body, as well as allowing you to dam and release the river as needed later with a pull of a lever - dwarfy and practical!

...Basically, you just build a line of pumps above the river that pump into the river itself upstream then turn them on. They'll block the flow, allowing you to build things in the river bed downstream from the pumps once it dries out. Build a drawbridge there and link it to a lever, then you can turn off the pumps and just use the drawbridge as a dam. This has the added advantage of allowing you to switch off the waterfall once your fort gets more mature and you're beginning to fall into FPS death.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:47:03 pm »

Well, the fort is mature and already has everything it needs - seriously, I'm just digging out ore to do something at this point.  I need another siege, the last one broke too early.  Sitting at 35fps on a 6x6 map with 200 dwarves and another 100 animals - but I've been doing a good job of keeping the map clean (atom smashing junk, ext.).

I'll just do a slab then.

Interestingly, this fortress is very safe - this is only the third death, sieges included*.

*I design ridiculously easy to defend castles.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 08:46:57 pm »

Magma.
Pump it in.
Cut it away.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

The best way I've found to get an object out of water is to create a drainage area (using floodgates, or you can just drain it directly into the caverns) and connect it to the river by mining an up-ramp into the square directly beneath said object.

Also, freezing water would destroy the body. DF is silly like that.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 10:39:24 pm »

Just pump enough water out that you can build a drawbridge in the river. That way, you can control river flow. It's not particularly useful, really, but it can come in handy on occasion.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 03:39:29 am »

The best way I've found to get an object out of water is to create a drainage area (using floodgates, or you can just drain it directly into the caverns) and connect it to the river by mining an up-ramp into the square directly beneath said object.

Also, freezing water would destroy the body. DF is silly like that.
In my experience freezing the water does not destroy the body, it just entombs it in a block (wall) of ice.  When you dig out that wall you get the body and (more importantly) the equipment the idiot dwarf was carrying back.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 09:24:16 am »

I remember my first ocean embark, macaques kept attacking and my dorfs kept chasing them into water with no regard for getting out of the water. I'd have to wait until the winter freeze to recover their corpses (and equipment) but by then I'd have forgotten where they'd fallen in so I'd spend most of winter mining the frozen ocean for dorfs.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 09:34:56 am »

This is the only game I know of where you have to mine for your own corpses.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 01:29:42 pm »

Speaking of mining and rivers...

Is someone else thinking what I'm thinking?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 01:47:46 pm »

A new type of goblin trap?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 01:48:14 pm »

Mining a river dry?
Pages: [1] 2