Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's be Chiefs in Barbarian: Total War!

(1/7) > >>

Iituem:
It's time for Rome: Total War again!  Rome is an interesting empire in history: It sent armies out for glory and profit, all beneath a centralised heirarchy that was (disputably) in control.  Perhaps this (and its extremely organised, regimented army) was the reason that Rome's borders extended so far.  Other centralised peoples; the Seleucids, the Macedonians, the Persians, the Egyptians; all successful empire builders.

But could a decentralised people dominate as successfully?  In this Let's Play of RTW we will be playing one of the Barbaric races but instead of taking control as a single, unified entity we will be playing them as they were in history; disparate, squabbling, fiercely independent clans united only by familial and cultural ties and by common enemies.  Each player will sign up for a specific warlord (once I specify them) and take the role of the chief of his own clan, centred in at least one town.  Each clan will have its own purse (from town income, and added to by raiding) and may only spend on upkeep, units and buildings that they personally can afford.  Of course, clans may gift one another money as required - or demand it.

Indeed, in the event all clan towns are lost, the clan must seek shelter with another - it will carry its own purse but can only replenish it by raiding or by capturing a new town.  When towns are captured, whichever general/army leads the attack will have first rights to taking it for their clan.

Inter-Clan Warfare

Relatively bloodless due to a lack of mechanical ability: If a clan moves an army of double strength* to the defenders into another clan's town, they capture it.  The original clan defenders flee and return to their nearest clan holdings, if any.

If a clan's purse runs out (from upkeep, usually) they 'lose' and any units join up with another clan of their choice for protection.  If all clan family members are killed, the surviving units can only gain a new member through promotion (sending unled armies into battle until a 'man of the hour' arises).

*Peasants/Guard count as half strength.  Cavalry/Chariots count double.  Generals count triple.

All this being said, which of the barbarians should we push to glory or dismay?  I will point out at this stage that I have played none of these so far, only Romans, though I am keenly aware they will require new tactics.  We will be playing on Normal/Normal, I'm afraid - I am not Stworca.

Gauls

The Gauls effectively represent the middle ground of the barbarian peoples.  Revering trickery, deception and ambush style warfare, they dominate the whole of western Europe north of the Iberian peninsula.  Though they cover a large degree of land they are notably sparse as far as towns are concerned - possessing perhaps one or two large towns close to the Roman borders.  This faction favours somewhat balanced play but will be up against the might of Rome from the start.

Notable tribes:  Aquitani, Helvetii, Insubres, Medulli, Parisii, Treveri, Vangiones.

Germans

The Germanic tribes, whilst certainly warlike enough, are more settled - of particular note are the shrines to Freya, goddess of fertility.  The towns these shrines grace are particularly well known for their fecundity and high populations, making the Germans the best option for developing large cities - and thus, better armies and facilities.  They are also neatly buffered against danger by the weak Dacians, the Gauls and various neutral (Rebel) tribes.

Notable tribes:  Goths, Bastarnae, Rugians, Vandals, Heruli.

British

The British are insane.  Completely and utterly batshit insane.  They firmly and fondly believe that they hold the secrets of magic that will make their warriors undefeatable.  This is surely utter nonsense but their belief does make them very fierce warriors, notably difficult to break.  Combine this with their nasty tendency to put their generals on chariots and you create an almost unstoppable cadre of warriors.  On the flip side, the patron goddess Brittania (the literal embodiment of Britain) is well known for granting boons of trade and prosperity upon her worshippers, so the British are likely to be rich for their small settlements.

Notable tribes:  Pretanoi, Catuvellauni, Iceni, Belgae, Brigantes, Caledonii.

Heron TSG:
1st choice: Germans, Goth tribe.
2nd choice: British, Belgiae tribe.

Looks to be an interesting way of doing this.

ansontan2000:
Heruli of the Krauts, please.

EuchreJack:
Are there any other Germanic tribes available?  I'd like the ancestors of Charlemagne, such as the Pippinids or the Ansegisel.

NRDL:
Gaul.

Can I be reserved for the first warlord, please?  And by first, I mean oldest. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version