Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mentally switching to the metric system  (Read 11011 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Mentally switching to the metric system
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:45:48 pm »

For a while I've been looking for a way to, if you will, "train" myself in use of the Metric system of measurement rather than defaulting to the US standard; since I find the US system to be very inconvenient/inconsistent. It seems that the Metric system is used far more often in scientific fields (in addition to being fairly universal and far more logically organized), which I think will be useful to me. I wonder, does anyone here know of a way to effectively switch myself to everyday use of Metric system?

(It might be worth mentioning that I'm ~16.2 years of age, so as you might expect, my 'reflex' to default to the US system of measurement is set in quite solidly already.)
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Mentally switching to the metric system
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »

I'd guess that the most important thing is to get a concept of what each of the measurements means in terms of actual objects, instead of in terms of Imperial units. So instead of thinking "A kilogram is about 2 pounds" get a mental image of what constitutes "a kilogram" that is similar to whatever you use for pounds. That has been a major stumbling block for myself, but eh. I've never quite gotten to the point of using metric without forcing myself to think of it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:12:46 pm »

Tried using the metric system in every day items? Tried moving to the UK :P?

Alternatively, replace imperial units with something simple, like Urists, and replace Urists with the metric system.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:07:10 pm »

I'm kinda like that

I live in Canada, I measure myself in feet, measure distance with kilometres, use pounds and litres.

The worst part is I can't convert between the two.

My advice would be to get a ruler and measure stuff all the time.

Also learn the numbers that correlate with each other.

1 foot is about 30 cm
1 inch is about 2.54cm

That way every time you see 1 foot you can cross over very easily, the most important part is to start measuring yourself in metric and then measure other stuff with your body parts. My hand is roughly 9 inches and I can roughly guess how big a metre is. That way you can extrapolate easier
May the mass times acceleration be with you

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »

I would reccomend trying to think in powers of ten - a good way of training your brain to work better with metric measurements.
This is a blank sig.

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

I welcome this thread, as I am currently trying to do the same thing (American aerospace engineering student).

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 04:49:06 pm »

Just use metric whenever you can.  You'll probably get used to it pretty quickly.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:16:14 pm »

When you want to convert between miles and kilometres, you could do what I do.  Remember that it's 150 million km or 93 million miles from here to the sun, and do the appropriate maths. :)

(Actually, true, I do do this.  Although I ofte shortcut it to 31 miles to 50 kilometres, or reduce it down to 0.62 ml to 1 km or 0.93 (effectively 1) miles to 1.5 km, depending on what I'm converting.  And you ought to hear my method for converting between Fahrenheit and Celsius!)

I'd actually (even more seriously) suggest the benchmarking method, already suggested.  A box 10cm on a side contains litre, which would be 1kg of water, with a box a metre long on a side containing a tonne(/metric ton) of water.  Base that upon the metre being around (a factor of 1.1-ish) a yard, and ten centimetres being roughly a third of a foot, or so on depending on which measurement you normally use for any given scale.

But, to be honest, you'll be rarely asked to look at something and then tell them how big/long/heavy it is.  And then, eyes rolling upwards in exasperation, they'll ask you again, but this time want it in metric/SI.  When accuracy matters you'll have your micrometer, laser-rangefinder, scales, weighbridge, flow-meter, anemometer, light-meter or whatever and if it matters that it's metric it'll almost certainly have a metric/SI readout.  And apart from doing some quick sanity check (so that if it's more than half an order of magnitude out, you can work out why it measured wrong) or, in some cases where it's important, an immediate re-measurement to ensure you really didn't make an error, you don't have to have quite so much of a grasp of the system.

You will do, of course.  You'll glance at the width of a carriageway and start to give your guess as to its width in metres instead of yards (not that that's much different, BYGTI).  But I reckon the local PD will still appreciate your guess as to the perp's weight in lbs (whereas I would start to give them how many stone they weighed, and have to multiple by 14), when taking the witness statement.  I've no idea if you get pints of beer in your bars, but over here beer and milk (at least in 'traditional' settings of pubs and doorstep bottles) are not in litres, although in others (cans and plastic bottles from supermarkets) it's usually in millilitres or litres.

I'd say know roughly what they are, and obviously their names, yes.  But you don't necessarily need to work towards being an infallible "guess your weight machine", only calibrated in metric measure.

Now, without using Google, tell me how many US gallons there are to any given imperial one. :)

(And then tell me what the petrol(eum/gasoline) price that I last paid, of 118.9 pence per litre (the cheapest locally, at present, it can be up to 10p more at another place!), would be in your local standard, and how much you typically might pay for standard unleaded!  :o )

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

I got used to using SI with physics classes.  It's easier to ignore the conversion of numbers between Imperial and SI and to just learn about how everyday things look.  This xkcd may help and I'm honestly surprising nobody linked it in yet...  I never checked anything but the obvious numbers, buts they look good and xkcd is kind of known for pushing math and science.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:47:13 pm »

After doing running sports, I started measuring most distances in meters, because I got a pretty good idea of how far it was. 100m is one side of a track, 1600m is four times around, and close to one mile.

Tip: Use the Fibonacci Sequence for converting atwixt miles and kilometers. After the first few numbers, it's a pretty good estimate.

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610, to start with.

5km is only slightly more than 3 miles, for example. 8km~5m, and so forth.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 06:01:43 pm »

There's at least one inaccuracy on that chart; unless y'all use different soft drink cans to us, they're 375mL, not 350; also a 2-litre bottle does contain 2L, not three, unless there's some wacky American supersizing campaign going on that I don't know about. Also bottled water could be any of many, many weights, depending on a) the bottle and b) the quantity of water.

Why do I have the feeling I've just missed a bunch of jokes?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 06:06:46 pm »

I'd forgotten that XKCD, and I thought that my own choice regarding measurement (http://xkcd.com/687/) wasn't so relevant to this discussion. :)

(And, Blargityblarg, standard UK carbonated drinks cans are 330ml.  Got one here, next to me.  Empty.  I'm going to get a new one from the car.  It's cold out there.  Must be a tad below 32degF[1]. ;) )

[1] But not -40.  (C or F; Doesn't matter which.  ;D Of course, we should be talking Kelvins.)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 06:57:56 pm »

Yes, these are reasons I added that disclaimer about not having checked numbers.  I think in SI and that was the point I wanted to make by posting that chart.  It is both easier and of greater benefit to learn to think in SI than to learn to convert between Imperial and SI.

I keep saying SI and not metric.  First of all, SI stands for Système International d'unitésInternational System of Units in English.  Metric is an older system.  SI is a newer, essentially updated version of metric.  They are the same except for the base units you use in calculations.  SI uses meter-kilogram-second as base units while metric uses centimeter-gram-second as base units.  There are a couple caveats, but the conversion is trivial and as long as you know what units you're using, you're fine.

Surprisingly, I remembered most of that.  I double-checked the base-units of metric with Wikipedia, but managed to remember everything else.  I'm mildly impressed with myself.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 07:16:24 pm »

Yay SI. Yay being raised to use SI/Metric.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:06:17 pm »

they're 375mL, not 350

What heresy is this?

And it's usually 355mL or 341mL.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4