Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 355118 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #600 on: September 18, 2012, 06:43:34 am »

So, with all the wins reported here, i guess the game is actually easy and small compared to, say, Stonesoup?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 18, 2012, 06:52:14 am »

Oh Deon, recoloring and such on everything you get your hands on. :P

why would you want a vent on the outer hull?  ???
Do you mean the square vent? The original ship has a vent in the same place.

:o never noticed
I bet it's for facehuggers to get inside.

I've changed the exterior parts a bit. Here it is:

You can use it if you want (you will need ftlpack to unpack and repack the game assets).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #602 on: September 18, 2012, 07:22:37 am »

So, with all the wins reported here, i guess the game is actually easy and small compared to, say, Stonesoup?

It is much easier to win. I've put countless hours into Stone Soup and never won, and I've won one game in over 15h here. That said, there's plenty of stuff to unlock that actually changes the gameplay, and games are quicker than a Stone Soup game. Overall, I'd say there's quite a bit more luck involved, but more streamlined tactical decisions. So, simpler but also different and with a lot of space for trying out different strategies within a smaller envelope than Stone Soup. If that makes any sense!

You'll also notice that despite the wins, quite a few people are complaining a bunch. I'm starting to think half the computers in the world have a nice RNG and half have a bad RNG :)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:55 am »

Damn. Fire weapons are so awesome :o

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 18, 2012, 09:07:04 am »

Hah managed to get a win with the type A Zoltan ship. During my travels I managed to get a crew teleporter and two Breach Bomb II's. The final fight turned into a cakewalk :p

That was the first ship I won against the boss with. I really like it.

Bombs really mess the flagship up due to the fact that you an easily take out its weapons with them. Without bombs or six or more burst laser shots, it's really difficult to kill it, especially the second form with its double defence drones. Boarders will be able to destroy all its weapons, but since you can't destroy the medbay you will not be able to do any other damage. This happened to me yesterday, got to the boss in the rock ship with only beams and missile weapons. I also had very few missiles, so when the missiles ran out and my boarding parties were killed by not being able to teleport back during cloak we just sat there. Neither ship could damage the other.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 18, 2012, 09:14:30 am »

And the Darwin award goes to... the captain who sent his stealth cruiser into an asteroid field (FYI stealth provides exactly as much protection from asteroids as you would expect it to- none.)

Where is the save file? The game deletes your saves and will not make new ones until you quit (lost my second game to an overheated processor. IRL, I mean- I really need to get my cooler cleaned. That sucked.), so the LCS method doesn't work.

If you know enough to say that it deletes, then you obviously know the right folder. So exit the game, RAR the save file, and load the game again. Know you have a fallback copy.

I know it empirically- if you turn off the game, you won't be allowed to continue it. I don't know if it deletes a file or a line in some database.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:18:24 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 18, 2012, 09:39:55 am »

Yes, but the stealth cruiser also provides the BEST protection against asteroids via it's long range scanner. :P

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 18, 2012, 09:57:47 am »

Yes, but the stealth cruiser also provides the BEST protection against asteroids via it's long range scanner. :P

Yep - besides the obvious reasons to stay out of asteroid fields if you don't have a shield, there's also the stealth ship achievement for getting to sector 8 without going through any environmental hazards which you should be going for.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 18, 2012, 10:00:00 am »

I know it empirically- if you turn off the game, you won't be allowed to continue it. I don't know if it deletes a file or a line in some database.

Oh, I see. In that case, There's a "continue.sav" file in Documents/My Games/FasterThanLight for my Windows 7 laptop. Copy or RAR it up. The file "prof.sav" has all of your achievements, so don't delete it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:53 am »

Did you know that it's possible to kill the boss without teleporters, lasers or, in fact, much of anything? It's true!

Just managed to win with the Zoltan ship (on easy - was going for the 'don't upgrade your reactor' achievement). All I had was 3 Zoltans, 1 Slug, 1 Human, a 40% dodge chance, 3 pips of shields, a Halberd Beam, Hull Beam, an Ion Bomb and a Defense 1 drone. It's worth noting that this setup cannot damage anything with two shields or more.

There's just enough time, if you hit the shield generator with two bombs, to take down all four levels of the boss's shields. At which point both beams go to town (managed to get the 'slice and dice' achievement with this ship) and basically rip the boss a new one.

The fun part is hitting with two bombs in a row. That sucker dodges like a greased pig.

Defeated part 1, healed, defeated part 2 - could NOT heal, defeated part 3 with 7 pips of hull left. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:55 am »

Very sad. I had a great run last night end because the RNG hated me. We got taken down in Sector 5 because I couldn't get repaired.

I had a good ship going (Standard Kestrel), with a large crew. 3 Humans, 3 Mantis, and 1 Rock. Weapons were decent, with the missile system, burst 2, and a Hull Beam and enough power to run all 3 at once. Upgraded shields, and most systems upgraded at least once. I even had a teleporter so my Mantis could ransack ships.

Then it got bad. Got hit by a super nasty auto-fighter in an Ion storm with 2 Beam Drones, Ion, and missiles that ripped my ship to shreds. We got out of there, but sustained heavy damaged. After that we went through 8 jumps, every single one involving a fight that wore the ship down just that much more.

In the end we lost a fight we should have been able to win easily, but there wasn't enough hull left to keep the ship together for the 1 hit they were going to get on me.

All I needed was for 1 store to show up in 2 sectors. Or one of the civilian ships I saved to repair me. Or...something. But, no, the crew of the USF Valiant was good enough to fight the Rebels but not good enough to fight Fate.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:28 am »

Also, simply the best explore music in the game, imho :P
Indeed, the music is some of the best I have heard yet for such a "simple" game grade wise. Its not a AAA game or even a AA but its got music that fits it so well. Its like listening to "One Winged Angel" from FFVII. It hits the spot and paints the perfect picture of what its talking about so well...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:51 am »

EDIT: also, why is it my weapons don't charge when the flagship is flipping cloaked? it's not like they disable my weapons or anything. presently, I'm stuck with having to imagine the captain whining about not seeing the ship and so telling the crew not to bother charging the weapons, because it must have left.
I think its a balance thing. If you were to let weapons charge while cloaked, you would simply get hit by a full volley the moment you get out, thus nullifying the cloaks whole point.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 18, 2012, 12:01:53 pm »

Does anyone know where the story for this game is? I see a lot of allusions to the backstory, but it's never actually presented anywhere.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 18, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »

I'm not sure, Mephansteras.  From what I can pull together from over 20 hours of playing FTL; it seems that a little-known colony found some great technology that gave them access to power and set them on the path to destroy the Federation, which most of the other races were apart of, but not quite so happy with.  Order falls apart, and the Rebels used their new might to slowly crush all those who resisted, until a secret mission is set up to discover the reasons behind the rebellion and the secret to the technology that the Rebells have.

Other than that, the story was of secondary importance, appearantly.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 243