Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you want your dwarves to have normal physiological urge?

Yes I want my dwarves to need to poo all the tons of stuff (s)he eats..once in a while
- 10 (6.1%)
Yes I want my dwarves to need to have sex without calving like a bunny
- 17 (10.3%)
Yes I want my dwarves to need to poo AND have impregnation-less sex every now and then.. not necessarily at the same time
- 41 (24.8%)
Yes I want my dwarves to need to poo AND have impregnation-less sex every now and then.. EVEN at the same time (perversion++)
- 17 (10.3%)
No I'm ok without 'em EVER pooing AND having sex only ONCE per child
- 80 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Voting closed: February 15, 2012, 06:08:04 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Why dwarves do not poo or have (almost) no sex?  (Read 31653 times)

eldios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why dwarves do not poo or have (almost) no sex?
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:08:04 pm »

Hey dudes,
  I suppose this is a good pool as the first thread in this awesome forum :)
Some days ago while I was doing one of the things of the topic (I leave to your fantasy which one..or if both) I was actually asking my self why the heck I should accept the fact that my dwarf will die from hunger or my fortress food will rotten and there is no problem if my dwarves doesn't EVER poo in their life! °_°
SRSLY?!?

And if you say that's part of the "clean self" procedure, well then (s)he would have to take outside his/her own "stuff" outside or I would expect AT LEAST a layer of green and yellow miasma spreading in all directions after a day or two.

Also why should it be that dwarves has no sexual urge in their whole life and as soon as they discover to have genital BAM, they have a son (or more).

I also think that these "needs" should change with age.. like
- poo/wee:  max when children, slowly goind down til mid-life then rising up again at max near average life expectation
- sex: zero when children, max at post-teen, slowly lowering til around average life expectation

Let me know what do you think about it and... vooote! :)

PS: thanks for this awesome life-eater...er, game o/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:11:58 pm by eldios »

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why dwarves do not poo or have (almost) no sex?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »

Do some research next time! While valid, you're ideas have been suggested dozens of times, several in the past month alone.  I'll leave it to the moderator to give you a full rundown, but here is a link to the eternal voting page, which you would have seen if you had clicked on the first link in the forum.

Also, Toady has discussed this several times, and as you probably haven't heard, he prefers to keep the more intimate parts of dwarven life out of the code restricting them only to the imaginations of realists like yourself.

And welcome to the forums! Don't take anything personally, and keep an eye out for the occasional sock
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:33:50 pm by Armeleon »
Playing since 2007

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:37:27 pm »

as soon as they discover to have genital
I can't find them in RAWs though.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:38:47 pm »

Better question:
Why would you want them to?

Yes, I know. Realism and all that. But honestly, I'm in charge of feeding them, housing them, protecting them, training them, recovering them, and making sure they don't go off and kill themselves in some stupid accident. The last thing I need is to worry about cleaning up their shit. I'd like to think that they're at least capable of handling that on their own, and have the decency to keep it to themselves.

And as for dwarven sex, judging by the fact that dwarves remain married their entire lives without any infidelity whatsoever, or even remarrying, I think it's safe to say their sexual urges aren't very high on the list of personal priorities. One might even go so far as to say that dwarves don't have sex for pleasure at all, but simply for the sake of continuing their race/bloodline.

That said, not too long ago, I watched a child get mauled to death by a cave crocodile who wandered up the central stairway. This game supplies enough nightmare fuel as it is without the mental images that come to mind from getting the message:Urist McDwarf cancels: construct building. Getting laid.

eldios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 06:44:54 pm »

Thanks a lot Armeleon,
  I tried to search through the forum but I didn't find anything useful... and after a few minutes it felt kinda weird looking for "poo" in DF forum :P

I suppose that Toady's point is valid still it's a bit "misleading" that the game covers in such a details (and fun IMO) some other aspects of dwarves everyday life while putting down those in such a silently way.

to King DZA:
Cause that would add *more* fun in many different ways.. and probably in a more complex fashion that I can actually imagine right now without considereing every little aspect of such a big change in the game (you mentioned re-marriage.. what about dwarves lust treachery or such).

Also you said that since they're life-married you think that such urges are auto-satisfied.. what about those who won't ever be married? no sex for the whole life?

Thanks you everyone for you messages and ideas.. and sorry for the dup  :-X

Keep on having *FUN* :)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »

That's what I'm talking about. The ones without a spouse don't have sex. It implies that dwarves don't really ever feel sexual urges to begin with. They find a mate and then reproduce like bunnies simply for the purpose of procreation.

I can certainly think of a few fun things that could come about from such changes, but in the long run it seems like it would only become an annoying chore/horrifying mental picture. Especially when you get a large migrant wave and don't have a big enough bathroom area. Or there's a massive party and suddenly most of your female population is only a fraction as productive as they were before.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »

Those things are not attractive to the majority of people, that is why there are mods to add them into the game.  Not sure about the poo mod, but the sexual organs mod, adds more variety in hit locations, to the combat logs, making for more exciting parts being severed.  A rotting penis is a sight to be scene, I'm sure, but its not something I'd ever wanna see in the game by default, especially one meant for the youthful gamers.

I'm certainly confident, the poo was taken out, as a way to make the game more attractive from a design perspective, as opposed to a reality perspective.  Just as it is in many RPGs.  I do wish it were a part of the cleaning option, as I would like to see my queen and king cleaned by servants.  But its hard to say, if post poo wiping and covering turd piles, constitutes a cleanup or not.  That is a matter for another debate.

Glad these two matters are displayed the way they are, and I wouldn't wish them changed.  After all, this is a fantasy simulator, and some things are taken for granted, these two are two I hope continue to be taken for granted.  If I have to build pee-pee houses, and brothels, I'm not sure, I'd wanna play this game anymore.

That and don't forget some folks have IBS, irritable bowel syndrome.  I can't think why they would want to be constantly reminded of crapping, while they were sitting in front of their PC.  I doubt that was a factor in the omission of poo simulation, but it stands clearly as a benefit, to not having toilet actions simulated.  It's hard enough being in AA and playing without getting a secret urge to drink.  While I am not professing gamers harbor desires they witness in games, I am not denying they don't sometimes experience a sense of interactive catharsis.

Sincerely,
Knutor

Edit:  To the OP, I didn't participate in the poll.  A simple, No option, wasn't provided.  That's my choice of an answer to the poll.  Your leading the witness, otherwise...   HA!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:14:44 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:46:23 pm »

the poop is, I believe, a matter of a single line added to the creature definition. go ask the modding forum, I'm sure they'll give you the details, or at least point you in the right direction
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:27:36 am »

Someone sure is taking their escaped lunatic rank seriously.
Signature goes here.

eldios

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:23:30 am »

@knutor:
  Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I still believe that adding real life problems in such a twisted world could deliver TONS of fun.

@drilltooth:
  No, it ain't only a line. think of pile of poo interacting ith creatures or what happens when rotting inside the fort or.. well.. let me stop here as for now :)

@thobal:
  Yes I already wanted to underline how appropriate that title is to such a thread :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 08:35:33 am »

If the faeces was in some way lethal to the local wildlife, I'd consider it. Also, in regards to sex, DZA sums it up well.

DarthBoogalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Wicked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:49:41 am »

I can't think of a single good reason to include sex and/or feces.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 10:38:37 am »

This. Unless it could be weaponized.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 10:48:34 am »

I'm okay with sex as long as we get VD too.

Wait, I think I worded that wrong.
Signature goes here.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:09 am »

This. Unless it could be weaponized.
Yeah... that'd be a good argument not to have it.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13