Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Save Time  (Read 317 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Save Time
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

DF's saves always took about 1-5 seconds for me.  They are now taking upwards of a min!!  Is there any reason why saving is taking soooo much longer?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Save Time
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

25MB clean world save size vs 4-5MB in the old version? There's a lot more to write and a lot more to process in this version. I suspect Toady can optimize even that, though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »

I'm sort of going to be reanalyzing the save rates.

I wrote a hack for the old 2D version, basically it was just disabling compression + obfuscation/encryption. The save times for me went from 30-60 seconds to 1-3 seconds. Though the save file size increased by a factor of about 4 (~4MB to ~16MB).

Using a custom tool I could decode and re-encode the save files squeezing about another half-or-so megabyte out of them.

I am planning on analyzing the performance of the new files and file handling, however, I need to get around to it first.

Also, do you have auto-backup & auto-save enabled? If you have auto-backup enabled, I'm not entirely sure, but I think DF saves the state for the auto-save and the auto-backup seperately (not perform a file copy from save to backup or vice versa).

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:56:00 am »

ok, I just started a fort and found lava, I didn't have time to play after the lengthy start-up process so I decided to quick save and exit.

It took 5 min.  I thought the game had crashed, finally I gave up and went and got a snack.  When I came back up I waited a while longer then finally the main screen came up.

Toady!!!  What did you do to the save system?  Saves in DF were always such a fast and painless affair,  now it takes minutes!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 01:00:00 am »

Here's a thread I made recently about the save times, specifically "saving world information" at the end of worldgen.   I've had to cease my current modding project because the number of entities were bringing the worldgen time to an hour.
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002673