Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!science!!, burning elves, and boozesposions  (Read 2463 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
!!science!!, burning elves, and boozesposions
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:51:44 pm »

The following series of experiments were performed in order to determine if a burning creature could set a stockpile of booze on fire, and to determine what effect a burning barrel of booze would have on nearby objects.  In particular, I wanted to determine if a burning booze barrel would set adjacent barrels on fire, leading to a chain reaction which would destroy the entire stockpile.

Experiment #1:  Setting an elf on fire.

For the first part of the experiment, I captured a large number of elves during an elven siege.  (This game was played in a modded world where the elven civilization has diplomats, making it easy to trigger war with them at will).  These elves were not stripped of their flammable wooden gear before the test.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I build a device similar to the standard mist generation system, with four pumps to rapidly circulate a single tile of magma through four different locations.  A pressure plate linked to two floor hatches was used to force the experimental subject to stand in a specific location, where they would be periodically exposed to magma by the sprayer.  I had an unlockable door leading to a stockpile of booze, with the intent that the elf, once set on fire, would be released to run through the room full of booze.

The results:

The experiment was repeated with half a dozen elves.  None of the elves or their equipment caught on fire while the elf was still alive.  On exposure to magma the elves would instead melt, then die, and only then would the corpse and dropped gear catch on fire.

I am considering other methods for making an elf catch on fire while still being alive for long enough to run through a room full of booze.  Traps have been set out around the magma pipe in hopes of catching a fire imp.

As such, the first experiment can't be considered a full success, but I still have to count any experiment involving setting elves on fire as a partial success anyway.

Experiment #2:  Burning Booze.

A small stockpile was created, five tiles long.  The stockpile was set to only accept alcohol.  One of the squares of the tile was located under part of the magma pumping system, permitting a single barrel to be selectively exposed to magma.  Once the stockpile was full, the door was locked and the magma pumps switched on.

The results:

Fairly soon after the magma pump was started, the booze in the boiled, creating a cloud of boiling alcohol around the barrel.  This did not seem to cause any harm to any of the adjacent barrels.  At this stage, the barrel itself was undamaged.

After the alcohol had all boiled, the barrel caught on fire.  The stockpile filled with smoke, but no damage was observed to the adjacent barrel.

Once the barrel had completely burned away and the smoke cleared, the only barrel that had been damaged had been the one directly exposed to magma.

Conclusion:  it does not appear that fire spreads from barrel to barrel in a booze stockpile.  Only those barrels directly set on fire are destroyed.  Booze in a burning barrel boils away without causing any apparent damage to adjacent barrels.  The effect of boiling booze on nearby creatures has not yet been tested.

I expect that a burning creature can set barrels on fire, but I have yet to manage to test this.  I will need a way to reliably set an elf on fire without killing it first.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!science!!, burning elves, and boozesposions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »

Lignite floor grates?

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »

Burning Elves + Alchohol + Magma...

I APPROVE!
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:36:02 pm »

I expect that a burning creature can set barrels on fire, but I have yet to manage to test this.  I will need a way to reliably set an elf on fire without killing it first.

Raise the melting point of fat to something higher than magma temperature, then repeat the experiment.

Lower the ignition temperature of elf to below room temperature, resulting in spontaneous elven combustion.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »

Raise the melting point of fat to something higher than magma temperature, then repeat the experiment.

Lower the ignition temperature of elf to below room temperature, resulting in spontaneous elven combustion.

Why not just mod elves to be made of wood?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »

Lignite floor grates?

I approve of this message.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:34:16 am »

Lignite floor grates?

I approve of this message.

Lignite rock pots of booze.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:38:10 am »

I suppose this must have changed since 40d then as I had burning fire imp fat stored in a food stockpile cause booze to burn in nearby tiles. I can't remember how far it spread. I seem to remember it decimating the whole stockpile but I can't be sure.

It might be worth checking if wood stockpiles can still catch from tile to tile. Back in 40d I saw wood stockpiles used against besieging goblins. They'd trap the goblins in a room containing a wood stockpile, use magma to light the wood, then watch the goblins burn.

Some methods you might try to get a creature burning but not immediately dead:
Light an object like you tried with the elf and then drop that object, using drawbridges, onto the tile containing the elf.
Light an object the same way again and then allow a dwarf to stockpile it through a booze stockpile.

Edit: I just remembered something that might help.

Blizzard Men can apparently burn for a long time without expiring. Domestic ones could help with your experiments.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:42:52 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:36:11 am »

What about all metal barrels for maximum heat transfer? Or perhaps a checkerboard of metal and wood barrels.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11:25 pm »

You could set some floor fungus/grass on fire, expose elf to said camp fire, you now have walking torch.

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:08 pm »

A masterpiece? Inded he has...

Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.