Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Self-induced starvation  (Read 7858 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Self-induced starvation
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:05 pm »

k the food, then hit enter to view
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 09:22:02 am »

So, it was the military, as you wonderful gents had so wisely posited. For future reference: forbidding and then reclaiming claimed food does nothing productive. The fort crashed into a tantrum spiral, leaving many dwarves to throw themselves into one of several open magma pits. The fort might have survived, but one partcularly angry dwarf decided to open the bridge, letting in the hoard of goblins and trolls awaiting outside, and to release the cyclopse from his prison. The military fought valianly on both fronts, but they had sub-standard equipment. They did, however, manage to kill the semi-megabeast. The goblins proceeded to murder every last dwarf, dwarfette, and dwarfling, save a single legendary metalcrafter, whom I managed to sequester down in the forges. This anti-social dwarf could not care less that everyone he lived next to for the past three years had just died a horrible, painful death. Luckily, he was locked in with all of the metal bars I had ever made, so I set him to work building giant axe blades and so forth.

Most unfortunately, an opportunistic fire imp took it upon himself to topple this fort forever by melting the face of off my survivng dwarf. He bled for several tiles before finally succumbing to his wounds. What fun.

I on't plan on starting my next fort until the new release, but Arkham City and Skyward Sword should keep me occupied until then. Skyrim also looms on the horizon of possibility (which would make a good fort name, come to think of it).

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:14 am »

A sad and fun ending to the dilemma.

I actually never had this problem, eventho I did use to have several equiped squads with the order to carry food/drinks.
Does this only happen when you have military squads with the food order and having them active for over several years?

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 10:48:09 am »

That would make sense; these dwarves had been training for about five years, and apparently they laid claim to EVERY piece of food in the fort, ultimately causing its downfall. There's an irony here, and it has nothing to do with any +iron spears+ they may or may not have been carrying.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:16 am »

I think I see your point.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »

Sounds like it's too late now, but I think the "cleanowned" utility in the dfhack library will clear the ownership tags from claimed items like this in case you run into the same problem in the future.  I specifically don't have my military "Carry Food" in backpacks due to this bug, but I use "Carry Drink" in waterskins and haven't had any problems.  Even "Carry Food" *can* be ok as long as you never have anything interrupting your military dwarves when they go to eat.  If they managed to claim your entire stockpile of prepared meals it's likely you had some sort of overlap problem with your military uniforms that was causing them to keep dropping the meals they'd just picked up and then go claim new ones.

--nomad_delta

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:47 pm »

Seconding nomad_delta. I usually don't have problems with the military claiming all food supplies unless someone's got a uniform conflict. This is caused by someone having Mining, Hunting, or Woodcutting labors active simultaneously or while they're active in the military, because those jobs have their own uniform and weapon needs.
Pages: 1 [2]