Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Holey water?  (Read 2657 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Holey water?
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:39:53 am »

So for the last 9 years or so, Whiteletter has been dumping water from the aquifer through the dining room and into the topmost cavern, which has a huge expanse of water. Lots of little 1/1s have been floating around the surface of the underground lake for a very long time. But in the last few years, I've started noticing something weird happening.

Some of the 7/7 tiles in the lake have become 6/7 tiles. They don't move around like when the water level has gone down. They just sit there. And even weirder, when a 1/1 skating across the top of the 7/7 tiles hits a 6/7, it doesn't fill the hole. Instead, it joins to the hole in some kind of weird covalent bond, so there's a permanent 1/7 on one z-level and 6/7 below it.

It doesn't seem like this is going to affect gameplay at all, but it's really weird. Anybody know what's going on?

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
Re: Holey water?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:43:06 am »

Too much fluorine?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:46:04 am »

Too much fluorine?

If this was the case then I would think that all the dwarves would be expert biters.  :P
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:47:35 am »

sentient water?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 03:51:20 am »

Too much fluorine?

If this was the case then I would think that all the dwarves would be expert biters.  :P

This is just kind of hilarious, because, while I haven't cheated very much in this game, I did get the idea from some other thread to find someone with biting skill and crank both biting and teaching up to 15. All of the marksdwarves in his squad are now also weapons-grade biters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 07:07:34 am »

Erm... Kill it with magma? Clearly, your water is possessed by Elf spirits.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:37:06 am »

Have many dwarves died in that lake?

If not, try sacrificing some to the lake-spirits.

Also see what happens if something falls into the 1/7 6/7 puddle
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:19 am »

It's caused by trees growing on the lake bed.  Plants can grow underwater, but saplings can't mature into trees if the tile is completely full of water.  The sapling will instead reach the point where it is just about to grow into a full-sized tree, and then it will wait, unable to grow further.  The moment something disturbs the water and causes it to drop below 7/7 for a moment, the sapling will turn into a full-sized tree.  Water can't flow into or out of a tile with a tree in it, so that spot on the lake will now be stuck permanently at 6/7 water.  If you drain the lake, you'll find that each of those 6/7 tiles has a tree on it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:14:52 am »

Wow, water-tree storage.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:38:26 pm »

Holey water? Water? Full of holes? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 05:30:41 pm »

Madness? This is water.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:03:55 pm »

Madness? This is water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry, couldn't help it: quote begs for visual aid (and exclamation marks, tons of them)!

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 06:40:53 pm »

It's caused by trees growing on the lake bed.  Plants can grow underwater, but saplings can't mature into trees if the tile is completely full of water.  The sapling will instead reach the point where it is just about to grow into a full-sized tree, and then it will wait, unable to grow further.  The moment something disturbs the water and causes it to drop below 7/7 for a moment, the sapling will turn into a full-sized tree.  Water can't flow into or out of a tile with a tree in it, so that spot on the lake will now be stuck permanently at 6/7 water.  If you drain the lake, you'll find that each of those 6/7 tiles has a tree on it.
Someone needs to build a fort in the desert with a giant treeewater storage pond.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »

So for the last 9 years or so, Whiteletter has been dumping water from the aquifer through the dining room and into the topmost cavern, which has a huge expanse of water. Lots of little 1/1s have been floating around the surface of the underground lake for a very long time. But in the last few years, I've started noticing something weird happening.

Some of the 7/7 tiles in the lake have become 6/7 tiles. They don't move around like when the water level has gone down. They just sit there. And even weirder, when a 1/1 skating across the top of the 7/7 tiles hits a 6/7, it doesn't fill the hole. Instead, it joins to the hole in some kind of weird covalent bond, so there's a permanent 1/7 on one z-level and 6/7 below it.

It doesn't seem like this is going to affect gameplay at all, but it's really weird. Anybody know what's going on?

And now for the serious response:

You've most likely stumbled upon a bug. Report it to the Mantis Bug Tracker with a save/repro method.

Definitely a bug.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:40 am »

Ok, it looks like it falls under this bug. Added my particular observation.
Pages: [1] 2