Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!  (Read 1167 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_COFFEE]
    • View Profile
Re: Game Design General - Share your games, mods, WIPs, and etc!
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 07:10:56 pm »

Shaders will always be black wizard magic to me. I've read probably around a dozen tutorials and guides and I still cannot write one that even works, let alone produces a cool effect.
I make games
Shout it out, and play it loud!
Cause this is what it's all about!
Heavy metal... heavy metal never dies!
Mass Effect 1 LP

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
  • Wǝoʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:50 am »

I've started learning about graphics shaders recently, and found this pretty neat site: https://www.shadertoy.com/ .

You can basically write shaders on the fly, and feed them pictures, videos, and apparently even audio as inputs, and it shows the result at the side.  Its been giving me a few ideas, but I figured I'd post two of them I found that were pretty cool:

Seascape:  Renders water graphics with under 200 lines of code. 

Notebook drawings:  Gives video a cool sketch-book visual style.

So far all I've done is turn an image to greyscale, but its kind of interesting.

Speaking of shaders, I'm kind of falling in love with them lately (even though I'm still rubbish at them). They're a great way of blending math and art to create novel visual effects, and really define a visual style from the ground up. The syntax is kinda hard, but I think the hardest part is dreaming up creative or novel ways to use shaders... the possibility space is huge.

This was my first attempt at coding a shader from scratch. It was part of a first-person xenobiology-themed prototype, where I was trying to visualize other ways alien senses might see the world. It hasn't yet gotten a beauty pass, but it was meant to represent Sonar Senses as they reflect off nearby materials. I was hoping to add a "roughness" or "softness" parameter that could be painted on game geometry, which would blur or mute the colors and give objects a sort of audio "Texture". Future plans also included allowing for multiple Sonar sources, sonar permeability through thin objects, and sonar "shadows" that cast out behind objects relative to an emitter. Oh, and maybe giving it a nicer color, like pale blue.

It was written in ShaderLab syntax, which is Unity's native shader language. I could dig up the source if anyone wanted it (it really is super simple), but in a nutshell, what's going on is it highlights pixels that are a certain distance from the viewpoint, fading out based on the offset from that distance. The distance could be configured by outside scripts too, so the width or frequency of the "scans" could be changed, or timed based on keypresses or other scripts.
[ISG] Ashwood Cross | [ISG] Blunderbuss | LD Jam Games | Tweet

Quote from: Sonnet: Against Entropy
Regret, by definition, comes too late;
Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 10:43:08 am »

Are shaders literally computer sorcery?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 12:28:28 pm »

Speaking of shaders, I'm kind of falling in love with them lately (even though I'm still rubbish at them). They're a great way of blending math and art to create novel visual effects, and really define a visual style from the ground up. The syntax is kinda hard, but I think the hardest part is dreaming up creative or novel ways to use shaders... the possibility space is huge.

This was my first attempt at coding a shader from scratch. It was part of a first-person xenobiology-themed prototype, where I was trying to visualize other ways alien senses might see the world. It hasn't yet gotten a beauty pass, but it was meant to represent Sonar Senses as they reflect off nearby materials. I was hoping to add a "roughness" or "softness" parameter that could be painted on game geometry, which would blur or mute the colors and give objects a sort of audio "Texture". Future plans also included allowing for multiple Sonar sources, sonar permeability through thin objects, and sonar "shadows" that cast out behind objects relative to an emitter. Oh, and maybe giving it a nicer color, like pale blue.

It was written in ShaderLab syntax, which is Unity's native shader language. I could dig up the source if anyone wanted it (it really is super simple), but in a nutshell, what's going on is it highlights pixels that are a certain distance from the viewpoint, fading out based on the offset from that distance. The distance could be configured by outside scripts too, so the width or frequency of the "scans" could be changed, or timed based on keypresses or other scripts.

That is really cool.  This is exactly why I want to learn this kind of stuff.  I think I'm going to try to force myself to learn some of this every day, it hopes that I eventually can actually do something cool like that.

One thing I'd love to be able to do is to try to make a 3d procedural cave system that actually looks good and isn't slow as hell.  I tried doing this in unity once with voxels and Marching Cubes algorithm, but I just couldn't get it to work quite right, and it was really inefficient.  I'm hoping if I just absorb enough knowledge of computer graphics eventually I could make a proper attempt.

Edit:  Also, speaking of dark magic, I stumbled on this today: https://github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse

I have no idea how it works, but it apparently was inspired by Quantum Mechanics. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 01:58:53 pm by Levi »
Avid gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_COFFEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2016, 02:31:49 am »

I'm working on an Android game, and while it's not playable per se all of the mechanics function fine on their own.

It's a roguelite thing that's one part Zelda, two parts Final Fantasy and has a dash of VN thrown in for added flavor.

I make games
Mass Effect 1 LP

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2016, 12:09:43 pm »

Itsnotlogical, are you ever going to make that platformer with the spikes? It was shaping up to be a really great game.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_COFFEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2016, 06:44:58 pm »

Probably not. I was out of ideas for it, to be honest. I might revisit it in the future though.
I make games
Mass Effect 1 LP

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 03:42:40 pm »

There's a cute game jam over at Itch.io called Fishing Jam 2 and i decided to participate for the fun of it.

My entry is inspired by bears fishing at rivers, only instead of a bear you play a girl with a fish bat that swings fish out of water, and try to land them on dry land and hitting sneaky animals that try to steal you of your precious fish.

I also created a random fish generator for the game:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:13:51 am by Vilanat »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
  • Wǝoʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 07:41:20 pm »

Vilanat, I love this premise, and the Procedural Fish technology.

Let me know when you finish, and/or share a link. It looks like a lot of fun! I dig the way you did the water animation too.

[ISG] Ashwood Cross | [ISG] Blunderbuss | LD Jam Games | Tweet

Quote from: Sonnet: Against Entropy
Regret, by definition, comes too late;
Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2016, 12:25:11 am »

Thanks!

I will, definitely

I also recommend going to the Jam page, there are some interesting dev blogs there as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]