Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296889 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2012, 11:09:57 pm »

Eh...

Personally, I think myself to be not so bad at actually writing, but horrible at writing longer sections of correlated, uninterrupted text. Like maybe a couple of good, strong paragraphs.

Also, I tend to lapse into passive voice. >.>

Let's see...:

Spoiler: Random story (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:15:23 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »

I don't have to much to say, except that I might write something for here soon. I hope so.

Anyway, Skyrunner, I think your story reads almost like a poem because of the short sentences and relatively high quantity of metaphors and similes.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »

Note: I have a tendency to write everything Grimdark, so :\
Spoiler: Short Story (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 29, 2012, 05:21:23 pm »

I know it takes time to write but come on people this thread should be more active! I myself haven't posted anything in some time, I will remedy that this week.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »

I've wanted to post something here, or at the very least write something but I'm at that frustrating phase where I have a very strong urge to write but absolutely nothing to write about.  :-\

Actually, I've had a strong urge to get back on the fantasy novel I started like a year ago and only wrote two chapters for.  If only it wasn't so hard to make fantasy fresh and interesting.  I set out with that being the goal and kind of lost the story under it.  Time to start over with the story up front.  Now if only that wasn't so hard to come up with.

The only other writing I've done lately basically amounts to dubious quality fan fiction and I'd rather not inflict that upon everyone here.   :)

Ah well, this thread is more about getting help for writing so maybe I can chip in and give some critique at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2012, 07:20:29 pm »

Interesting!  I've been getting the creative itch lately anyway, and I've been working on a book off and on for the past few years anyway.  World building it at least.  If any of you would like to critique this passage (basically the opening) I'd be very grateful!  No, I'm not going to give any context - I want to see what people think when I don't mention anything beyond it to give them a clue as to what certain things mean.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2012, 08:36:48 pm »

Sounds like the start of a good adventure book. I hope you've got more.
The only thing, to me, that does not flow is the first sentence, I think instead of 'like' you should have 'as' however that is at the mercy of your prejudious.

As for myself, here is my aforementioned contribution, atleast a part of it, I'll get more out soon.
I've had the story brewing for a couple of years now and the basic backdrop is that the world's gone to shit, blah, blah, blah, technogarbage. Anyways, America, in a crippling civil war, has torn itsself apart and after recovering has formed into a collection of feudal states, which in turn cannot support a large commercial industry and as such have regressed somewhat to medieval times, although the use of firearms is still common. Things like like tanks and other costly armaments are less frequently used and as such each kingdom scrabbles to get as much land as it can manage. The setting is in the Area that used to be West Virginia, and things are quite hectic. D.C. is a raging battleground between a new-yorkish empire and a collection of Georgian city states who fight over the secrets of the white house and the pentagon, blah blah blah again. Finally the kingdoms are somewhat manipulated by the powerful energy corporations still in existence (which is few).

The setting for the snippet here is that the main char is attending a council on how to deal with the rest of the pennsylvanian empire, which is a buffer state, among other things. Of the aformentioned plot points some will be elaborated on in following snippets.

and as usual please critique:

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2012, 09:45:20 pm »

So...I'll post critique on the stories above, if anyone is willing for it.

Also, double posting (maybe) for a story later on.

(How do you all do such short stories with great flavor guys?! Warning before I post mine, it is longwinded...)

Galick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:10 pm »

So...I'll post critique on the stories above, if anyone is willing for it.

Also, double posting (maybe) for a story later on.

(How do you all do such short stories with great flavor guys?! Warning before I post mine, it is longwinded...)

I'd be very interested in a critique if you'd like to give it.  And this way you're not gonna double post :P
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2012, 09:56:50 pm »

Same as above :)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2012, 07:14:17 am »

Thirded? EDIT: we should hold a seminar on world creation.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:27:56 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Galick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »

Thirded? EDIT: we should hold a seminar on world creation.

I actually know a fair bit about that through my own experimentation, so I could maybe rant about it at length?  At least, my own experiences with it?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2012, 05:13:21 pm »

Anyone can comment on anyone else's story. It's how people learn, by sharpening the other's blade to steel themselves for the coming battle. Unless I missed something. Feel free to give your opinions, so we can all rise like the rest.

Just like Dwarf Fortress!

. . .

You really didn't want me to double post, did you all?

Also, all criticism is in spoilers because...well, spoilers!  :D

Disclaimer: All criticism made are spun out of the spool of opinion. They are just words on a post, made just for a helping tip. They are not set in stone, or labeled down as a law. Feel free to work your own way. I make huge walls of text when I criticize. If anyone has a problem with that, please voice it out.

And if you take a peek on some spoilers, you'll see how long-winded I am. Sorry.

How do you all do this? Short, brief, concise and precise! . . .

I love stories. [/gettothepointalready]

Spoiler: Short Story (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Random story (click to show/hide)

C'mon and join the FUN Telgin, and everyone else who is browsing this and/or has posted since then on.  :D

Hurrah! Free-time!

Updated the list of notes to those I've missed, hope my criticism didn't sound stupid.  :P

This needs more activity, no?

I think I've done something very wrong in the one above, being made on the spur of the moment...  :-\

Help?

I'm loving the activity thus far, given how the Creative Projects board being the least active (or so I think) on Bay12.

Galick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2012, 05:53:43 pm »

I thank you for the criticism and I'll answer a few questions about my own story and give yours a few suggestions/criticisms myself!

Spoiler: Mah prologue thing (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Reponse (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: My prologue (click to show/hide)

And my review!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2012, 07:59:33 pm »

Thanks Tir for the critism, there are, however some things I'd like to point out.

1st.) pfffffffft, hah, you think that's a long paragraph? In anycase, my descriptive paragraphs spare no one and are indeed very long, dialoge-y sections get much shorter though so don't worry.

2nd.) I'd like to clarify some things about the use of the term 'Knight' chiefly that Chivalry is DEAD, what do you think happens on the battlefield, they just ask to be spared? sometimes. But usually you get an axe to the neck. Also the term 'Knight' is quite necessary, I learned a long time ago that there is really no point to calling something something-else if you can call it by its name. How cheesy would the story sound if I said he was a 'land-holder' or something equally silly?

3rd.) Bejebus do I dislike your paragraph structure :l

and finally nice catch for the misued comma after 'Gerald', I didn't even notice.

All in all I learned alot so thanks again for the criticism

now...

COUNTER-CRITICISM muhahahahahaha!!!

I love it, very easy on the eyes.

In the first paragaph though, I feel like your punctuation is a bit off, something just seems...strange about it.

In the second paragraph I think the term 'unbeaten path' is bit awkwardly worded. Do you mean overgrown path or old path?

The only other thing which bothers me is it's flow, the story seems to halt in places (maybe it's just me)

Overall I like it, gave me a very good impression of what was going on.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 130