Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296142 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1125 on: December 13, 2014, 07:29:11 pm »

I'm not really good at giving critique, but it seemed rude if I just posted a story without responding to the previous one first. So, I'll try to give as much feedback as I can.

In terms of writing, I really liked the use of adjectives and adverbs, and the way they are combined to make an image is great in my opinion. The grammar is good as well, as I can see. The only thing about it is that I didn't understand what was happening. I assume that there was a nuclear strike or something like that. There was also the thing about the girl in the beginning wearing the too-tight cloak, who disappears and is replaced with Dmitri. I'm not sure if that was intentional, like they are two different beings, or you got confused with the he and she.

I'm sorry it isn't as long as the others. Hopefully someone else can add more critique for you.

Spoiler: Dragon Slayer (click to show/hide)

It was far longer than I intended, but I couldn't help myself. What do you guys think of it?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: December 13, 2014, 11:07:21 pm »

I quite liked that, with how the narration got into Jonah's head regarding the whole issue and his state of mind, especially with the better to X than to burn bits. I'm not too good at critiquing so I couldn't really find any real issues (I would have rather a bit more detail on Jonah burning in his dream and in the boiling blood, but that's probably just my inner sadist speaking). I guess it could have had a bit more of a description of when he was tearing apart the dragon's insides, though then again adding description there might detract from the whole frenzied atmosphere.

As for my story, with the person in the beginning, it was intentional but I guess poorly executed. The first section was supposed to be from the Blackbird's point of view, where it was reliving the memories of the souls that it was made of, in that case one of the soldiers who massacred the city using solar and radiation spells, and one of the civilians who was killed. The inconsistencies (it thought it was midnight when Dimitri's point of view noted it was midday, it thought it was human whilst Dimitri just saw two Blackbirds, it thought it was burning alive but Dimitri noted that it was impervious to the radiation, the sudden jump in perspective and gender) were meant to help indicate its insanity. I'll definitely have to work on something similar again and hopefully make it less confusing.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: December 14, 2014, 01:32:56 pm »

Hello everybody, I am currently trying to worldbuild a sci-fi universe with a bizzare mix of hard, soft and anti-science as one of its main characteristics. If I start posting random bits of trivia about it here, would you help me improve them?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1128 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:23 pm »

If the trivia is in the form of short stories (length no object) we'll tell you how to write better, sure. The actual world may be a bit of a fringe case.

Other denizens?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: December 15, 2014, 01:26:24 am »

Well, here we go.

Trivia1

A.Simmons: Sehereti - the name of these brutal warriors of the Concordat has been striking fear in the hearts and minds of the people for several decades - ever since the elusive and secretive state that has spawned them has shown its military might in the Komenriso-2 Conflict. The carnage that they inflicted both(sic) on their enemies, on civilians they've encountered, and even on other Concordat troops has been astonishing, but what was even more astonishing is how they - the sehereti - have not suffered even a single casualty in all the six months of fighting. And then, they vanished, leaving behind scenes of desolation and a few abandoned forward bases, only to reappear again and again whenever Concordat has tried to make another landgrab, although they haven't made any significant contribution to the war effort ever since their first apperance. Ever since then, the brightest minds of the Coalition have been trying to determine what those men were, to piece together all the scraps of information that exist about them in books and rumours, to sift through the lies of Concordat's propaganda and to find the truth about what those men, those killing machines really were. And today, we have one of those minds on our show: please welcome - professor Arkady Izhorsky!

So Arkady, what can you tell us?

A.Izhorsky: Well, Allison, I have to start by correcting you a bit - you called sehereti men, while in reality they are anything but.

A.Simmons: So they are robots? Androids?

A.Izhorsky: In a sense, yes, but they are not exactly robots in how we imagine robots. They are made of flesh and blood. But I'll come back to this later. You see, sehereti are related to humans like dogs are related to wolves - same taxa, similar physiology, look like each other, but they are nowhere near the same species. Sehereti are not humans, they were made from humans, but they are not humans by any conventional definition.

A.Simmons: What do you mean they were made from humans? Are they cyborgs, are they genetically modified?

A.Izhorsky: Both, actually. They are both cybernetically and genetically modified, and this is what makes them so good, all the fancy, transhuman stuff that the Concordat puts in them. You'd think they are infantry, but they are actually more like tanks - they certainly cost about the same, and they are made on factories, not born. The-

A.Simmons: I'm sorry, Arkady, I'll have to ask you to clarify: what do you mean "made on factories"? You said they are genetically modified humans. How can you assemble a living being, like a human, on a factory?

A.Izhorsky: Well they are not assembled, they are technically "born", but they are born out of test tubes, from artificial embryos.

A.Simmons: But that's crazy! That's against all human rights laws!

A.Izhorsky: The Concordat, from what we've seen so far, does not apear to be particuarly troubled with ruman rights. They want to make artificial humans - they make artificial humans. They don't even try to pretend that the factories that make sehereti produce something else.

A.Simmons: And the National Council is okay with that?

A.Izhorsky: And that's the funny thing: it is not okay with that, but not because of any ethics or anything. The factories that make the sehereti, as we can see here on the map, are located on just
these three planets here, and nowhere else, and those planets don't really want to be a part of the Concordat. They want to secede. They were a sovereign nation before the Concordat came and they want to become a sovereign nation again.

A.Simmons: I'm sorry, I have to stop you here for a bit: they want to secede?

A.Izhorsky: Yes. They want to form their own nation, conquer some territories and become a sovereign state. They even came up with a name - "Seyiie Herekeheta Yisarys", "United Protectorate of Yisarys".

A.Simmons: So why haven't they seceded yet? With an army of sehereti, I mean, they make them?

A.Izhorsky: Because they can't. They are dependent on the Concordat to get them food and raw materials, they don't have enough on their own, they can't produce enough food to sustain all their population on just those three planets that they have. Let me anticipate your question: why do they have just those three planets, why didn't they conquer some more with their sehereti warriors? That's because they didn't have enough resources before the Concordat came, they didn't have enough resources to mount an invasion in the neighbouring space, they couldn't gather these resources because they were fighting between themselves. The three planets, they were formally one nation, but they were fighting between themselves all the time. And now, they are dependent on food and other supplies being shipped to them by the Concordat, and in exchange, they provide it with sehereti soldiers. And that's why I believe the sehereti haven't done that much fighting since the Komenriso - because the National Council cannot let them, out of fear of giving the three sehereti planets - by the way, I haven't given you their names, they are named Yisarys, Ochre, yes, like the colour, and Windswept - too much political power, because they want to keep them on a short leash, to suppress all thoughts of resistance before using the sehereti for anything significant. What happened on Komenriso was a simple propaganda campaign, they just wanted to scare us with their "terror troops", while in reality they are just as afraid of them as we are. Because if Concordat makes its army dependent on sehereti, if it gives the self-proclaimed "Protectorate" too much power, then it can have a violent attempt at secession right in the middle of its territory. The sehereti are scary, yes, but they are not much more than that.

A.Simmons: And that was professor Izhorsky with his latest findings, thank you very much, Arkady! Now, our next topic is...

Anyone who can tell me why prof. Izhorsky has focused so much on the politics surrounding the sehereti and not on sehereti themselves gets a cookie.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:08:06 am by Knit tie »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: December 15, 2014, 03:46:56 pm »

Because he is a reflection of you, and you are more interested in the politics than the soldiers themselves? :P

Also:
ruman rights.
0_o

The things I wrote tonight:

The Corncrake

Where are you now, you bird that once had sung
In lines both multi felt and heard?
Aye, in the twilight did you voice yourself -
The Corncrake, how have you fared?

We brought in tractor, dike and furrowed earth
And with our metal beasts, we rent the ground-
That which begat us, sang to us,
We killed and stilled its sound.

The fight cost much, and lost much more,
For we the keepers of this land
Forgot the Corncrake and its ilk,
Forgot we bite our feeding hand.

Oh, come the harvest-time we’ll mourn
The nesting grounds of old!
Here lay the eggs, now there are none-
For what have we them sold?

The ranks of corn keep marching on,
The harvest time has come-
And come the rising of the dawn
No Corncrake greets the sun.

Note: A corncrake is a bird once common in Northern Ireland, but now no longer breeds here because of agricultural change in harvest times.

O birds of multi-hue and multi feather!
Who course the skies, who keep the heather!
Your wings are sun enough for ten,
They light the glade, the dale, the fen.

Great Falcons hover in the sky,
They look for lesser prey-
Noble their eyes, with grace they fly
In shade of dark or light of day.

And there, the Darkling Thrush,
The poet’s muse of old-
Not noble, yet its song holds life
For both the shepherd and his fold.

Hover, you swan and dive you duck!
Kingfishers drink, then dart away-
See you this beauty? You’re in luck!
To see this aspect of the fey.

They own this land, these flying things-
An angel so attired would sing
To have such brilliant wings.
So honour them, that fly above
Be it the crow or feathered dove.

And another one:

The peacful vales, the noisome dells
Both river and the crying bird.
The washed-clean fells like ringing bells
Blow forth, and so the falling rain is heard.

This is my home, each sound clear-cut
And all who walk here feel at ease.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: December 18, 2014, 08:59:36 pm »

I saw just saw this (I'm new to the forums) and I had to get in on it.

@Th4DwArfY1: I read the title as "Corn-cake" *facepalm. Anyway, I find that in poetry most the verses are padding for those one or two lines that can outlast stars. In your case, I really like this verse:

We brought in tractor, dike and furrowed earth
And with our metal beasts, we rent the ground-
That which begat us, sang to us,
We killed and stilled its sound.

Now that is really something (granted I thought you were talking about corn the first time around but, still, the verse is quite euphonious.)

Also this bit:

The peaceful vales, the noisome dells
Both river and the crying bird.
The washed-clean fells like ringing bells
Blow forth, and so the falling rain is heard.

I really like the assonance here but I think the "and so" on the last line breaks the rhythm. What about just "...the rain is heard"?. Also the "and the" in the second line, breaks the parallelism from the first line. What if you omit the "the"? Anyway, just thinking out loud, not a poet by any means so don't take it too seriously.

Any here is my some of my writing. Its the first two chapters of something I'm writing on a different forum I wanted some feed-back and hopefully to post the whole thing so I can get some recommendations for moving forward. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 25, 2014, 02:53:09 pm »

How bad is my english, please? inb4: my story about literature and writing

I'm not a native english speaker, and on my daily rotine I use english just to read forums, play games, watch movies, etc. I also read literature, but this is on a small scale since it can be very tiring after some hours. I usually don't write much, and I feel like that people get used to see non native speaker talking on english all the time, so trying to correct anything got a little out of the fashion, what is a shame for the people who want to perfect their grasp on the language.

I always was an wannabe writer, since I was like 10yo I loved literature and liked to build fantastic worlds, in some years I got a little ashamed of these ideas, thinking these were too stupid or children-likeish. So when I got like 15/16 yo I never tried to write anything anymore, I liked to read another people stories and try to changes little things to make it feel perfect to me, but every time I tried to write something original I get that 'this is really stupid' feeling and dropped on the first paragraphs.

Turn out that I get over that hobby, meanwhile I still had the literature passion, the writing fever had gone. Some months ago, though, it returns, but with my old feeling that my ideas are stupid and I shouldn't even bother. Maybe I became I little too pretentious after reading some ''high literature'', or maybe I just realized that I'm not a good writer and probably will never be one, so why even try to write something that will be garbage?

do you guys ever felt something like that? this feeling that you main plot is just straight stupid? it is funny, because sometimes I just try to write some scenes like "a guy sit on a waiting room thinking about bullshiting and enjoying the music" it can get some lines and I feel really good about what I can get off, but when I need to take another action to link this scene with anything more I just can't even :P

also, i would like to know how awful is my english, I usually write on my native language, but it is really hard to find some people to share and trade ideas outside of english boards and sites, so I get even a little less motivated

pls, be harsh, but just enough, I seriously have no idea how good is my grammar, I think my vocabulary is pretty small though

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 25, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »

How bad is my english, please? inb4: my story about literature and writing

I'm not a native English speaker, and on my daily routine I use English just to read forums, play games, watch movies, etc. I also read literature, but this is on a small scale since it can be very tiring after some hours. I usually don't write much, and I feel ((Like?))that people get used to seeing non native speakers talking in English all the time, so trying to correct anything got a little out of ((the?)) fashion, which is a shame for the people who want to perfect their grasp on the language.

I always was a wannabe writer, since I was like 10yo I loved literature and liked to build fantastic worlds, in some years I got a little ashamed of these ideas, thinking these were too stupid or child-like. So when I got like 15/16 yo I never tried to write anything anymore, I liked to read other peoples' stories and try to change little things to make it feel perfect to me, but every time I tried to write something original I got that 'this is really stupid' feeling and dropped on the first paragraphs.

Turns out that I got over that hobby, whilst I still had the literature passion, the writing fever had gone. Some months ago, though, it returned, but with my old feeling that my ideas are stupid and I shouldn't even bother. Maybe I became a little too pretentious after reading some ''high literature'', or maybe I just realized that I'm not a good writer and probably will never be one, so why even try to write something that will be garbage?

Do you guys ever feel something like that? this feeling that your main plot is just straight stupid? It is funny, because sometimes I just try to write some scenes like "a guy sits in a waiting room thinking about bullshiting and enjoying the music" it can get some lines and I feel really good about what I can get off, but when I need to take another action to link this scene with anything more I just can't even :P

Also, I would like to know how awful my English is, I usually write in my native language, but it is really hard to find some people to share and trade ideas outside of English boards and sites, so I get even ((a little?)) less motivated

pls, be harsh, but just enough, I seriously have no idea how good is my grammar, I think my vocabulary is pretty small though
Ftfy! :P

You mixed up the odd word, but your punctuation seemed to hold alright throughout. Also, when I wrote with things in brackets like ((so?)) it was to show I thought you put it in by mistake.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1134 on: December 26, 2014, 06:27:26 am »

do you guys ever felt something like that? this feeling that you main plot is just straight stupid? it is funny, because sometimes I just try to write some scenes like "a guy sit on a waiting room thinking about bullshiting and enjoying the music" it can get some lines and I feel really good about what I can get off, but when I need to take another action to link this scene with anything more I just can't even :P

I strongly suspect pretty much every writer ever feels like this at some point. The only way to improve is to practice!

Now that NaNo's over, we should be able to get the writing competitions up and running again (Object? If you don't mind, otherwise I guess I could do it (although the idea terrifies me)), so just enter what you have and we can help you!

Your grammar is bad, but readable. If you like, just continue to post what you write and we can correct you as you go. Out of curiosity (no need to answer), what is your native language?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 26, 2014, 11:30:59 am »

WIP for r/WritingPrompts

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:32:30 am by Objective »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 28, 2014, 05:55:08 am »

I'm willing to extend the competition if somebody actually, y'know, submit something.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1137 on: December 29, 2014, 02:42:58 pm »

I'm willing to extend the competition if somebody actually, y'know, submit something.

Okay then!

Spoiler: Blood on an Axe (click to show/hide)

Both prompts. I'm not sure if the sad ending would have been better, and if the 'antagonist' has enough of a motive.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 29, 2014, 02:44:01 pm »

Are we still on the "becoming a guardian" one? I've been out of the loop for a while.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1139 on: December 29, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

Are we still on the "becoming a guardian" one? I've been out of the loop for a while.

That was bizarrely simultaneous. I think so.

My story is either or both prompts, by the way Object.

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 130