Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296168 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1395 on: July 07, 2015, 08:52:04 pm »

Spoiler: Grumpylump (click to show/hide)

I don't know what I'm writing really. Just tired.

Damn. You should write while tired more often  :P. Seriously, I liked this story, I liked it a lot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 10, 2015, 08:24:53 pm »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 10, 2015, 08:29:57 pm »

Damn. You should write while tired more often  :P. Seriously, I liked this story, I liked it a lot.

Aw, thanks man!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 13, 2015, 09:28:59 am »

What's the policy of this thread (or, rather, the helpful people here giving comments-criticism) on longer pieces? Asking someone to spend time and energy on something that takes more than ten minutes to read is a bit much, I know, but I'd like feedback on more than a single scene or short story. I've got a 6800-word start of a novel, a 20,000-word 1/3-novel and one 8000-word start of a novel that would probably benefit from a critical eye.

I have some single scenes to throw here, too, of course. I've been ignoring this thread for way too long anyway. It's a nice place.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 13, 2015, 09:30:48 am »

There is no policy. Post it, and if someone can be bothered to read it they will. Then, if they can be bothered to comment, they will.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1400 on: July 15, 2015, 10:51:02 am »

#nofilter

I lol'ed.

Man, I liked this. What a tweest!

I like this, too. :P

In particular, I like the way you've got the romantic (in the sense of the romantics, not as in love) style without it being overbearing.

What's the policy of this thread (or, rather, the helpful people here giving comments-criticism) on longer pieces? Asking someone to spend time and energy on something that takes more than ten minutes to read is a bit much, I know, but I'd like feedback on more than a single scene or short story. I've got a 6800-word start of a novel, a 20,000-word 1/3-novel and one 8000-word start of a novel that would probably benefit from a critical eye.

I have some single scenes to throw here, too, of course. I've been ignoring this thread for way too long anyway. It's a nice place.

I'd be down for that. Might be a little bit before I get to them, but I'd be willing to.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What I recommend, though, is for that little description of the odd family to have sparse details when they take the order, and then more twisted, crude, ugly details once they start holding up the line. When you say they had "big, soft, brown eyes", that really contrasted against how you revealed your feelings about their actions near the end. This is a small nitpick, though, as I liked how you took this rather mundane evil many of us experience and crafted it into a worthwhile story. I enjoyed reading it.

It's an interesting juxtaposition, though, and to me it evokes soft-boiled egg more than soft-hearted and compassionate in context. I agree with your first suggestion, though.

Edit: I like this prompt:

"Grab the book, magazine, or newspaper nearest you and open up to a random page. Start your story with the first line at the top of the page and end your story with the last line at the bottom of the page."

It doesn't go anywhere, it probably makes no sense without all the random snippets of context floating around in my head, and I had to alter the supposedly directly quoted lines to make it fit, but eh. I wrote something.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:56:13 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 18, 2015, 10:46:04 pm »

So can I submit one of my forum games/interactive stories for review here?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 19, 2015, 12:06:46 am »

I don't see the problem with that. In fact I'll read over it for you but you should expect some inexperienced criticism because I am an inexperienced critic. But if everyone is cool with a game like that being posted I might post my IF game myself.

"Grab the book, magazine, or newspaper nearest you and open up to a random page. Start your story with the first line at the top of the page and end your story with the last line at the bottom of the page."

I'm doing this. The book's

What do you think  :P? I'm ashamed to say that this is probably some of the best writing I've ever done and it's not very good. This, of course, means that criticism is very much welcome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1403 on: July 20, 2015, 02:06:01 pm »

Hey, as long as it's writing I don't see a problem. As long as the forum game stuff doesn't drown out the other writing stuff, anyway. That would be okay, but a bit weird.

It could use a pass for typos and grammar ('its' possesive doesn't take an apostrophe, for instance).

Remember to show, not tell. Especially with the greenery - rather than adding a statement about it, mention that the bushes were 'lush' or 'thriving' (or such a term) and let the implications fill the reader in.

The most useful thing to do in almost every situation is to read, and think about what the author is doing and why they do it. Look for good books, especially in styles and genres you don't read much.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 20, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »

Can someone give me feedback especially on punctuation because I'm still not sure when to use all these ;  :  -

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 20, 2015, 03:33:26 pm »

Spoiler: Generally Me feedback (click to show/hide)

• Green is where you had the wrong tense. You had a mixture of past and present tense. As you start in past, I took the liberty of correcting it all to past tense. Don't mix your tenses! It makes the whole thing look messy.
  • Red indicates a grammatical error or generally stilted writing.
  • Blue indicates odd word choice. The first "Owwww." seems odd, and stumbling onto your feet from sitting odd doesn't sit right as generally stumbling is falling over. I'm not sure what you were going for with "gripped my legs". Did you mean it literally, or...?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 20, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »

The gripped legs bit is because he's on a horse. And the quotes around limped is meaning that it was fake. Like he was pretending to limp. These ones i was a bit unsure of when i was writing if they would read well if someone else read it, So thanks.

Also thank you for putting the effort in to examine all that. I always tend to mix up my tenses.

and i can't believe how many mistakes i made. Also the stumbled was meant to show how clumsy he was at getting up, but i see what you mean.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 20, 2015, 03:59:48 pm »

If he's gripping the horse with his legs, you should probably add that. Otherwise it's unclear.

-snip-
Always capitalise the singular I.

When it comes to speech, start each person's line on a new line.
"This dog tastes funny," she said. has a comma.
She said "I hate eating dog." has a full stop.

In a larger example:
"This pork tastes odd," she said, "got a real funny taste to it."
I scowled. "Don't complain. Meat's been rare since the super-plague that destroyed civilisation."
"Well, it does taste funny," she muttered again, sullenly.
Little did she know it wasn't pork at all; the only thing the trap had managed to catch was a clown.

Shitty joke, ho!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 20, 2015, 04:02:29 pm »

i actually removed the horse bit because i thought it took away from the fluidity.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1409 on: July 21, 2015, 01:53:39 pm »

i actually removed the horse bit because i thought it took away from the fluidity.

Fluidity's great, but make sure that you don't leave your reader floundering amid a bunch of elegantly sketched lines that don't quite seem to make a drawing. Maybe in a case like that go for an intransitive verb (doesn't need an object) instead - say 'tensed my legs' or 'flexed my legs', rather. It keeps the flow without cutting much information out.

I was going to post something here, but it was terrible. Welp.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 130