Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296604 times)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1485 on: September 03, 2015, 04:58:46 pm »

Well it's a work in progress. And I posted because I wanted advice to see if it was any good.

And as I said. Just pointing out that I made punctuation mistakes doesn't really help me much. Especially when I myself am not the best at using punctuation properly. So no matter how much I look over it I won't see it because I don't know it's a mistake.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 03, 2015, 05:04:35 pm »

You had another ~350 words to use for description. Try a different excuse.

I suggested you sort out the punctuation. That is, quite frankly, the best way you can improve your work. Much of your dialogue misses punctuation or has it in the wrong place.

It's iPhone, not Iphone. Brand name.
You start sentences with but.
"I think ill stay here,"
'while the kids played with the Samuels two labradors'.
A lot of your dialogue just is closed off with quotation marks, without punctuation.

You can spot simple stuff like that.

You said you're not using me to check that sort of stuff:
I meant it at as these are the kind of mistakes that you really need an outside eye to spot. I'm not using you as a spell checker and I would rather have suggestions about how to improve it.
...so I wasn't intending to go through line-by-line.

'Fix your mistakes' is advice.

If you don't know, learn.

British punctuation
American punctuation
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 03, 2015, 05:13:55 pm »

I hadn't finished yet and was planning to write a lot more. Also don't assume I'm making excuses. Originally I just wanted someone to read it, give me some feedback and if they found mistakes when they were reading then too point them out. Now I'm having an argument on the Internet with some random guy about being helpful or something.

Edit: The links are genuinely extremely helpful. Thanks.l

Double Edit: Re read through the next day and I think I severely misread your advice. And I am sorry I was such an asshat.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:46:45 pm by Generally me »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 05, 2015, 08:00:49 am »

Double Edit: Re read through the next day and I think I severely misread your advice. And I am sorry I was such an asshat.
Alright. Shall we put this behind us?

Spoiler: Has yet to be named. (click to show/hide)
My initial thoughts. I'll give it a better read through in a bit.

Couple of other thouhts. Koi and Angel seem a bit, well, unlike dragon names. A type of carp and an angel isn't something you'd connect with dragons.

I'm bad at names, too. If it comes down to it, you can use a generator you find online.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 05, 2015, 08:06:24 am »

In what manner is your idea of a dragon unusual?

Using random words seems even odder. There's a lot of generators out there. You can find one you like, or that you can adjust the names for to something better.

At the end of the day, it's up to you, but Koi and Angel do not seem like dragon names.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 05, 2015, 08:17:32 am »

I don't know what kind of people you know, but I don't know many people 16-23 feet tall.

They don't have horns.

Eh?

with a reptilian horned head

But yeah, neither of those are unusual so far.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1491 on: September 05, 2015, 11:33:05 am »

Shadow, I agree with Gig (i.e. the dragons in that story are traditional), but I'm not actually sure what exactly you're trying to express.

As for the story:

Spoiler: Has yet to be named. (click to show/hide)

There are a couple of times where you could replace 'the egg' with 'it', which I've coloured red.

The sentence fragment in red doesn't make sense grammatically - there seem to be a few words missing?

Do be careful of overuse of commas. Whilst there are, technically, quite a lot of places you can use a comma, without it becoming, grammatically, incorrect, you should, probably, try to avoid doing it, too much, although this example is extreme and your story isn't anywhere near as bad.

Also watch out for redundancy; islands are by definition surrounded by water, so adding that they were surrounded by the ocean is overwriting.

It's pretty good, though. Keep writing!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: September 05, 2015, 11:48:31 am »

Thanks for the feedback! Is this any better?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've picked out a couple of things. That first sentence a) runs on a lot and b) gets a bit confused toward the end. I think it's technically correct grammar, but it doesn't appear so at first glance.

The second thing is also correct, and I can see what you're going for, but it doesn't quite seem to fit. The third is more that the tense isn't entirely obvious; maybe change 'in' to 'into' or a clarification of a different tense?

The third is just that I think that should be 'that', not 'who', but eh.

Sorry that these are all just nitpicky things. I'm way too busy and stressed to do a better kind, and any feedback is better than no feedback, right? :/
Came here to post this
and realised I had missed this post. Thanks for the reply! Nitpicky stuff is in some ways the best - it means there are no huge glaring errors, only small ones :P

I appreciate the effort while you're stressed. Good luck in your exams! Hope the examiners have cause only to nitpick.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: September 05, 2015, 09:21:17 pm »

...Most people are 5-6 feet tall. Unless you meant smaller in terms of weight.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: September 06, 2015, 06:03:29 am »

Say that their length is 18 ft as an average, and six feet of that is their tail, another three feet of that is their neck and head. That leaves them a body length of 9 ft.

If they have proportions relatively similar to german shepards, their truck length is ~15% larger than their trunk height, making them 7.8 feet tall on average.

So pretty large creatures, yeah. Larger than people.

If they were smaller than people, they might not really be awe-inspiring, either. NO one has ever been in awe of a daschhund.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: September 06, 2015, 09:01:32 am »

Fantasy or not is irrelevant to bodily proportions, unless the creature is deliberately skewed. As I said, a dragon with legs like a daschund is somewhat less awe-inspiring. Presumably, as dragons, they'd be measured mainly in horizontal length rather than vertically when their size is mentioned. Like crocodiles. Having a good sense of proportion and size is important when creating creatures. If they've got long legs or short legs, that'll affect them in a lot ways: running speed and thus hunting habits, where they'd live, their use as domesticated animals.

It also stops them turning out looking really silly.

Then why did you say they were smaller than people if they are, in fact, much larger than people? Similarly, why did you say they didn't have horns when they did?  One should strive for consistency. Even with the most unrealistic of subjects, inconsistency is what breaks suspension of disbelief: unless something is deliberately arbitrary, you should always ensure A is A and B is B.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: September 14, 2015, 07:05:39 pm »

This one is... different. It's a story for a game on these forums set in a sort of blend of chinese and wild west sort of setting. Obviously, this story is very strongly cribbed from inspired by the story of Chang'e.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: September 24, 2015, 04:09:44 pm »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 09, 2015, 06:29:55 pm »

So, I want to begin writing a novel. To start my pre-outline preparations, I'll be testing out the literary laws of my world in an experimental short story... Along with figuring out the tone, the people, the world, etc. I've been sitting on this idea for many years now I think I finally want to start writing that first draft.

The first problem that's come up is technology. Specifically, guns. The setting is post-apocalyptic USA, some 500 years after the collapse of sovereign states worldwide due to mass economic, political, and social problems leading to a general loss of knowledge concerning chemistry, manufacturing, and production. I'd like to explore the idea of the worship of technology much like Asimov's Foundation or even in a W40k-esque way. What I want to be able to (at least somewhat logically) arrive at is the general disadvantage of firearms... They may even still be widespread, but melee combat is much more prevalent--if not dominant--in this world. A world where fast-moving armor is the ultimate cavalry force, but lacks heavy machine guns, main battle cannons, or other such highly-specialized weaponry. In the same world, fortifications are again relevant, horse-mounted cavalry ride alongside tanks, and large infantry formations are back in the field. The themes should add up to a twist on medieval warfare, with traces of the 18th and 19th centuries, bundled with some of the left over equipment of the modern day.

So my first thought was to get rid of firearms entirely... but how? Metal is in abundance, especially after a decline in urban populations and mass scavenging. Gunpowder can almost always be produced in some form... So that's not going to work.

Then, I thought, well why not make firearms irrelevant? Technology like highly advanced armor perhaps? Sure, but how and where? The world has lost too much to be able to produce advanced, bullet-stopping armor en masse. Ok, forcefields like those found in Dune or Forever War? I feel like that's taking artistic license too far, and somewhat of a non-sequitor.

My final thought was to allow a degree of relatively primitive firearms, but that leaves n0 reason to regress to a melee dominant system of warfare.

So where do I go from here, what do you think? Ideally, i'd like to end up in a place where the average soldier is heavily armored and equipped with some manner of melee weapon, tanks are the ultimate form of heavy cavalry, and only crude artillery and explosives exist with any kind of commonality.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 09, 2015, 07:08:09 pm »

Quite frankly, if they have means of production, it doesn't work. If your sociecty can build a tank, it can almost certainly build a gun. Both indicate a knowledge of metallurgy and mechanics. If like early tanks, they're petrol-powered you need some knowledge of chemistry to distil crude into usable fuel for vehicles. The medieval alchemists knew and could produce nitric acid, even if they didn't know what made it tick; they didn't know they could produce  you can probably make impact explosives, such as mercury fulminate, out of it, but that base knowledge is there now, with access to the materials needed to make it.

If you have chemistry knowledge (enough for working vehicles and the like) you can probably make impact explosives. Therefore you can make primers and, combined with there are surviving examples of old world technology, you can reproduce those sorts of guns. A gun doesn't have to be complicated to be automatic; but even a basic bolt action rifle would give you a colossal advantage against those who didn't. Even muskets became the standard issue for a reason.

The knowledge is there already - and its recorded, so the knowledge would still be around. It's too useful, and kinda simple, to forget all over america. Without a big cataclysm to openly destroy the knowledge... I'm not really seeing it.

Sorry I can't really help.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 130